Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

ID.4 FE Blue
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just did a test drive of a standard range Model Y, just to see how it will compare to my first drive on the ID.4. You can no longer purchase them online, but they are selling off what they have in stock. Needless to say: really fun to drive. A major negative is the glass roof to me. You cannot really see through it and still feel the sun.

I was surprised when I saw the price tag: $39,990. I ended up choosing a blue (they did not have any white ones) with black interior and standard wheels which added $1000 plus $1200 destination/paperwork plus $100 reservation, so final price before tax was $42,290.

I picked a location a little further away so delivery will be in about a week (instead of this weekend!). Lucky for me, 5 minutes before I put down the deposit, my local VW dealer contacted me saying that they have a demo model now and whether I wanted to drive it or wait for my car. This provides me with an opportunity to test drive the ID.4 as well and compare with the Tesla, and take the car I like better. What a crazy day!

I will keep everyone posted...

Not if you do not mind having a 5k mile used vehicle. I got fully loaded 2019 Prestige version with barely 5k miles on it for the same price I was going to purchase ID.4 AWD. Yes, it is used. So what. I still have factory warranty, got all the features I wanted and would not get on ID.4 (HUD, heat pump, etc.) and at least I do not have to compromise on what I get and what I cannot get because VW knows better.

Having done close to 1k miles in eTron, and then having test drove ID.4, there is no comparison in my mind. Yes, ID.4 is cheaper, sure, but comparing it against a low mileage eTron, all benefits of ID.4 are gone. With Q4 coming into the market early 2022, I would not have bought ID.4 anyway and stuck around for Q4.

I still have factory warranty, got all the features I wanted and would not get on ID.4 (HUD, heat pump, etc.) and at least I do not have to compromise on what I get and what I cannot get because VW knows better.
I can't like this statement enough. VW's attitude to the US market has moreso dissuaded me from the ID4 as much as the lack of options themselves. It's even more infuriating as we're finding out that even minor things such as the auto brake hold have been excluded in the name of "US driver familiarity".

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
In all of New England Audi dealers there are only two e-Trons, both 2019 and both under 2K miles, and therefore over $60k. And it's larger than the Q5. But I do have a soft spot for Audi given more than a decade of ownership so you did make me look. ;) Oh, and there's one lonely 2017 A3 e-tron hybrid with only 25k on the 'meter and coincidentally $25k.

I have no doubt the Q4 will be exceedingly well done with a superior interior, amongst other things. But I remind myself that I want a more care-free grandkid and lumber hauler so the ID.4 remains the sweet spot EV for me.

However I just may end of leasing and picking up a pre-owned Q4 down the road. It's good to have more options on the horizon.

ID.4 FE Blue
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, here is my update. I just did a test drive with a black FE ID.4. I only had it for 30 minutes, but it was enough to give me a good impression. First thing I will note is that when I started my trip the car showed a rest mileage of 319 miles! Granted, after a few minutes and a couple of maximum accelerations I was quickly below 300, but still...

Overall, the car feels very robust and the ride is very smooth. Noise inside the cabin is minimal. The artificial sound at low speeds is a little strange, but rules are rules. The Tesla felt more roomy in the front an back. I am 5'11" but felt pretty close to the roof, although the VW has more headroom in the back. The VW glass roof is stunning and 90% see-through. It would be great taking this car through Manhattan. The Tesla's roof on the other hand was 10% see through, and I could already feel the sun burn on my balding head even though it was only one of the first nice days of the year in Philadelphia. I think this is ultimately the deal-breaker for Tesla for me.

I don't know what software was installed but the infotainment system worked without delays. Navigation system programed to take me back to the dealer had some problems initially, but I will be using Google maps through Apple Carplay anyway (another deal-breaker that Tesla only has the proprietary system). Acceleration was actually decent in Sports mode, but nowhere near to the Model Y. Then again, how often do you actually accelerate like this? One thing I am angry about is that the tow hitch just sits there ugly in the center below the trunk. In the German ID.4s it can be hidden under the car when not in use. I don't know why VW does this to US customers.

So, in conclusion: I will stick with the ID.4. The dealer looked me up in the system and said the car will be at the dealer next week (wheel-of-torture still has me at 5/7)! I am #3 in line and can take possession late next week. My sales assistant actually printed a copy of the window sticker with VIN and everything. MSRP plus $1,195 destination charge. Floor mats on the model I drove are $250 extra. There are really pros and cons to both cars. The child in me probably would have bought the Tesla. The rational adult is going for the Volkswagen. My very first car was a Volkswagen Beetle. I am German myself and like that this one was built in Germany.

But ultimately, given that the race between the cars is so close, I am going for the VW because it is $4500 cheaper (after the tax credit), and my research shows that any new tax credit for Tesla would not be retroactive. I have also already installed a Chargepoint charger at home. And the better glass roof that has a shade. And Apple Carplay. And 3 years of free charging. That's it. Hope this helped...

Thanks for the good review.
One thing I am angry about is that the tow hitch just sits there ugly in the center below the trunk. In the German ID.4s it can be hidden under the car when not in use. I don't know why VW does this to US customers.
Its because in US we like to have receiver hitch to put a bike rack (or other crazy stuff like kayaks!) on it, which you cannot do on the german ID. I much prefer having a receiver hitch for that plus I can always have a ball of each size to swap in too.

Reactions: gorj and theboomr

ID.4 FE Blue
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the good review.

Its because in US we like to have receiver hitch to put a bike rack (or other crazy stuff like kayaks!) on it, which you cannot do on the german ID. I much prefer having a receiver hitch for that plus I can always have a ball of each size to swap in too.
Okay, that makes sense. I agree and actually want that, too! Yay VW!

Okay, here is my update. I just did a test drive with a black FE ID.4. I only had it for 30 minutes, but it was enough to give me a good impression. First thing I will note is that when I started my trip the car showed a rest mileage of 319 miles! Granted, after a few minutes and a couple of maximum accelerations I was quickly below 300, but still...

Overall, the car feels very robust and the ride is very smooth. Noise inside the cabin is minimal. The artificial sound at low speeds is a little strange, but rules are rules. The Tesla felt more roomy in the front an back. I am 5'11" but felt pretty close to the roof, although the VW has more headroom in the back. The VW glass roof is stunning and 90% see-through. It would be great taking this car through Manhattan. The Tesla's roof on the other hand was 10% see through, and I could already feel the sun burn on my balding head even though it was only one of the first nice days of the year in Philadelphia. I think this is ultimately the deal-breaker for Tesla for me.

I don't know what software was installed but the infotainment system worked without delays. Navigation system programed to take me back to the dealer had some problems initially, but I will be using Google maps through Apple Carplay anyway (another deal-breaker that Tesla only has the proprietary system). Acceleration was actually decent in Sports mode, but nowhere near to the Model Y. Then again, how often do you actually accelerate like this? One thing I am angry about is that the tow hitch just sits there ugly in the center below the trunk. In the German ID.4s it can be hidden under the car when not in use. I don't know why VW does this to US customers.

So, in conclusion: I will stick with the ID.4. The dealer looked me up in the system and said the car will be at the dealer next week (wheel-of-torture still has me at 5/7)! I am #3 in line and can take possession late next week. My sales assistant actually printed a copy of the window sticker with VIN and everything. MSRP plus $1,195 destination charge. Floor mats on the model I drove are $250 extra. There are really pros and cons to both cars. The child in me probably would have bought the Tesla. The rational adult is going for the Volkswagen. My very first car was a Volkswagen Beetle. I am German myself and like that this one was built in Germany.

But ultimately, given that the race between the cars is so close, I am going for the VW because it is $4500 cheaper (after the tax credit), and my research shows that any new tax credit for Tesla would not be retroactive. I have also already installed a Chargepoint charger at home. And the better glass roof that has a shade. And Apple Carplay. And 3 years of free charging. That's it. Hope this helped...
Thanks for your review. I should have my ID4 FE by end of the month. I feel many of the same thoughts you have. The tax credit not being retroactive this year for Tesla is a big factor given they discontinued the MY SR RWD.

Not if you do not mind having a 5k mile used vehicle. I got fully loaded 2019 Prestige version with barely 5k miles on it for the same price I was going to purchase ID.4 AWD. Yes, it is used. So what. I still have factory warranty, got all the features I wanted and would not get on ID.4 (HUD, heat pump, etc.) and at least I do not have to compromise on what I get and what I cannot get because VW knows better.

Having done close to 1k miles in eTron, and then having test drove ID.4, there is no comparison in my mind. Yes, ID.4 is cheaper, sure, but comparing it against a low mileage eTron, all benefits of ID.4 are gone. With Q4 coming into the market early 2022, I would not have bought ID.4 anyway and stuck around for Q4.
Is it the same price before or after the incentives?

ID.4 FE Blue
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Three more things from today鈥檚 drive. Was not able to adjust side mirrors. Tried everything. Wouldn鈥檛 move. Also, I had the feeling the brakes could be a little bit more substantial. Don鈥檛 know whether it鈥檚 because of regen... Finally, B mode actually slowed down the car quite substantially. I don鈥檛 fully understand the hype around one-pedal driving, though. I like VW鈥檚 decision to let the car coast if you want to.

I own both and love both cars. But in my opinion, the Y is in a different league and a much better car. Like I said, I love the VW but comparing it as a daily driver, the Tesla comes out ahead. The autopilot is vastly superior and the software glitches and lack of updates on the VW are starting to bother me. Things like taking about 30 seconds or more to be able to open my windows or change anything on the infotainment screen until it boots up, lack of volume control over audio when the navigation audio takes over and doesn't let go, lack of consistent connection to android auto or other apps, the speed of the infotainment system, lack of updates, etc. The Tesla is superior in every way, drives as well and has more utility with the extra room in the back and the frunk. Cost aside, there is no comparison.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Thanks very much for your own hands-on fair & balanced comparison. Of course I too fall into the 'not wanting to spend as much' camp. ;)

As we know the ID.4 is more meant to 'transition' similarly priced ICE CUV buyers.
I own both and love both cars. But in my opinion, the Y is in a different league and a much better car. Like I said, I love the VW but comparing it as a daily driver, the Tesla comes out ahead. The autopilot is vastly superior and the software glitches and lack of updates on the VW are starting to bother me. Things like taking about 30 seconds or more to be able to open my windows or change anything on the infotainment screen until it boots up, lack of volume control over audio when the navigation audio takes over and doesn't let go, lack of consistent connection to android auto or other apps, the speed of the infotainment system, lack of updates, etc. The Tesla is superior in every way, drives as well and has more utility with the extra room in the back and the frunk. Cost aside, there is no comparison.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts