Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
3 Posts
Technically the tax is on the dealer. This was a bit of a sticking point for me in my purchase as the dealer presented it as a tax I'm obligated to pay, which is not the case and I find this dishonest. They are passing on their tax to me, fine - just say that, own it. In a different vehicle market, I would refuse to pay it, but no chance of that happening in the current market and I wasn't going to blow up my reservation over it.
Interesting, as Sales Tax in California is "collected" from the buyer and forwarded by the retailer. Some sales promotions claim "We pay the Sales Tax!" which is just a small discount on the price for the consumer but the full amount is still remitted to the state.

·
54 Posts
Interesting, as Sales Tax in California is "collected" from the buyer and forwarded by the retailer. Some sales promotions claim "We pay the Sales Tax!" which is just a small discount on the price for the consumer but the full amount is still remitted to the state.
Sales tax everywhere is collected by the retailer from the buyer. I wonder if you are from Europe originally because VAT in Europe is not the same thing as sales tax in the American states or Canadian provinces.

·
3 Posts
Sales tax is not deductible on the federal return. Only income tax is deductible.
Actually the IRS does let you deduct sales and local taxes OR state income tax, whichever is higher up the limit of $10k but not both.
If a business return you can deduct sales tax.

·
75 Posts
To OP - tough to make this decision after waiting so long but sounds like the right one for now.

I find the lane centering as part of travel assist to be excellent, very relaxing to use. It does make small adjustments but I find they're the same ones I would make anyway so once you get used to that it just clicks. It's a godsend on long trips. Maybe it's also a function of the steering being more responsive than you're used to. I actually find the steering on the RWD to be somewhat vague (although predictable and consistent so perfectly acceptable) so now I'm interested to drive the AWD and see the difference.

·
54 Posts
Actually the IRS does let you deduct sales and local taxes OR state income tax, whichever is higher up the limit of $10k but not both.
If a business return you can deduct sales tax.
You are right, I was wrong. You can deduct sales tax, but in real-life situations, those are relatively rare cases.

1. You have to itemize. In order to itemize, your itemized deductions should exceed the standard deduction. Thé standard deduction for a family is $24,000. So, to itemize, your eligible deductions should exceed $24,000
2. The sales tax you have paid should be higher than the state income tax. So, you would have to have purchased an expensive car and not have significant taxable income to be able to find yourself in this situation.
3. In the states with no income tax it makes sense to deduct sales tax. In the states with income tax, it mostly doesn’t make sense to deduct sales tax. But again, to be able to deduct either tax you have to itemize, which most people do not do.

But you were right about either sales or state income tax being deductible on the federal return.

·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
To OP - tough to make this decision after waiting so long but sounds like the right one for now.

I find the lane centering as part of travel assist to be excellent, very relaxing to use. It does make small adjustments but I find they're the same ones I would make anyway so once you get used to that it just clicks. It's a godsend on long trips. Maybe it's also a function of the steering being more responsive than you're used to. I actually find the steering on the RWD to be somewhat vague (although predictable and consistent so perfectly acceptable) so now I'm interested to drive the AWD and see the difference.
The person who bought my car reports when he got in it, the car was in sport mode. Maybe that is why it was more sensitive/responsive. I have driven Ferrari's and Lamborghini's enough to be comfortable with very sensitive/responsive steering, I just wasn't expecting it in the ID.4. Also it is not what I want for my daily driver. If I find a AWD ID.4 on a lot somewhere I might take it for another test drive. This time I will make sure to adjust the seat and confirm car is in comfort mode before leaving the parking lot.
I have thought a bit about my decision not to buy the car, at this point in my life I am comfortable with the decision and have no regrets.

Reactions: Mrau

·
158 Posts
I have thought a bit about my decision not to buy the car, at this point in my life I am comfortable with the decision and have no regrets.
And at the end of the day, that's all that matters. It's just a car, and another new shiny one will come along next year as well. :) LOL

I used to do a fair amount of looking and investing in residential real estate, and there is a pretty common saying there that the 'deal of a century comes along.... about once a week, if you know where to look'. LOL

·
8 Posts
After waiting since I put in my reservation on 23-Sept-20 for my ID.4 Pro/S AWD, after my test drive today, 9-Oct-21, I have canceled my reservation and declined the car.

First the test drive- This is an awesome car!!! But it does have some issues. I have heard the AWD ID.4 referred to as the GTI of the EV world, I think that sums it up well. The car is very planted and stable, handles well especially considering how much it weights. The turning radius is a little larger than the 1st edition I drove, but not enough to matter in real world situations. Parking lot maneuvers were a breeze. I found the steering a bit too sensitive, the tiniest movement of the steering wheel would make a noticeable change in direction. I needed to pay strict attention to my driving at all times. It did not make for relaxing driving. I thought about it after I got home and realized that I never even thought to check to see what mode the car was in. Was it sport, comfort, eco, I have no idea. Pulling out of the dealer lot it was immediately obvious the car had more solid, responsive, acceleration than the 1st edition. Driving around town was pleasant, enjoyable, like the 1st edition. I went to get on the highway and as I was coming down the entrance ramp the car nose was just slightly in front of an 18 wheeler, who was not giving me an inch. I pressed the GO pedal and in no time I was well in front of the truck. :) Highway merging with the AWD version is absolutely a non issue, it just goes. I set the cruise control for 70, activated the LKA and let it run. Glanced at the speedo and noticed I was doing 75??? Rechecked the cruise setting and it was now set to 75?? Reset it to 70 and continued down the road. Car kept asking me to take over the steering. It took a bit to figure out how much holding of the wheel I had to do to keep the system happy. I let the LKA do its thing for a while, I didn’t like the way it kept wandering the car down the lane. A touch to the right, a touch to the left, repeat on down the road. After about 2-3 miles of that I couldn’t take it any more and just grabbed the wheel and steered the car myself. Then I found that the LKA was fighting me and it felt like I was drafting an 18 wheeler 5 feet behind the trailer. Like I was being buffeted all over the place. I turned off the LKA, much nicer and just ran with the cruise set to 70 for a while, no LKA. NIce. I turned off the cruise and just drove the car with minimum assistance. The car felt nice and stable, no clue how fast I was going, cars were passing me, I was passing nobody, I was just enjoying the ride and the scenery. Then I happened to glance at the speedo… I was doing 80!!! I had no idea/clue I was going that fast. This car would easily get me in trouble. Somewhere in there I also figured out why my speed settings kept changing. I didn’t realize that the haptic buttons on the steering wheel were also sliders and I was apparently sliding my fingers over the controls changing the settings without realizing it. Some where during the test drive my back started to hurt. I spent a good deal of time sorting out the seat trying to get comfortable. Never really succeeded, tried out the seat massage to see if that would help. I didn’t like the seat massage and it didn’t help with my back pain. I think when I started out the lumbar support was at max and that is what caused me the pain that I never recovered from, my back was still sore the following morning. I felt that B mode deceleration/regeneration was greater in the AWD than it was in the 1st edition. The AWD version is definitely noisier/louder than the 1st edition I drove. According to the dB meter app on my phone, radio off, windows closed, same road same speed. The 1st edition averaged 74.8dB, AWD 77.8dB, my TDI Jetta 84.2dB. Indicating my Jetta is twice as loud as the 1st edition. There might maybe be more motor noise with the AWD vs the 1st edition, but 95% of the difference is the noisier tires on the AWD. I didn’t remember to take note of what tires were on the AWD. Pulling away from a stop, the acceleration was very nice. The salesman suggested I get going about 10 mph and then punch it and see what happened. I was caught off guard and it literally snapped my head back. I was not expecting that.

Why I rejected the car- There were several reasons. I didn’t like the lies the salesman told me. Didn’t like the trade-in the dealership gave me. Carvana offered me $14,900 for my Jetta, using the link from the VW Portal to KBB, KBB retail trade-in value was $12,800 and dealer offered me $10,500. I found the LKA, ‘self driving’ mode more annoying than helpful. I am moving from Maine to rural Virginia and won’t need the AWD or the performance that comes with it. The key in my decision was that I was not going to spend $50K for a vehicle that might cause me back pain. I think once I get moved and settled in, I will look again at a RWD Pro/S or maybe a Buzz if it ever comes out.
I have an ID.4 Pro S. My last car was Mercedes and I loved it but wanted an electric. The ID.4 for me is perfect. I understand completely the impact of the sales person. I drove 60 miles from where I live to buy the car - just south of San Francisco.

GWB

·
7 Posts
After waiting since I put in my reservation on 23-Sept-20 for my ID.4 Pro/S AWD, after my test drive today, 9-Oct-21, I have canceled my reservation and declined the car.

First the test drive- This is an awesome car!!! But it does have some issues. I have heard the AWD ID.4 referred to as the GTI of the EV world, I think that sums it up well. The car is very planted and stable, handles well especially considering how much it weights. The turning radius is a little larger than the 1st edition I drove, but not enough to matter in real world situations. Parking lot maneuvers were a breeze. I found the steering a bit too sensitive, the tiniest movement of the steering wheel would make a noticeable change in direction. I needed to pay strict attention to my driving at all times. It did not make for relaxing driving. I thought about it after I got home and realized that I never even thought to check to see what mode the car was in. Was it sport, comfort, eco, I have no idea. Pulling out of the dealer lot it was immediately obvious the car had more solid, responsive, acceleration than the 1st edition. Driving around town was pleasant, enjoyable, like the 1st edition. I went to get on the highway and as I was coming down the entrance ramp the car nose was just slightly in front of an 18 wheeler, who was not giving me an inch. I pressed the GO pedal and in no time I was well in front of the truck. :) Highway merging with the AWD version is absolutely a non issue, it just goes. I set the cruise control for 70, activated the LKA and let it run. Glanced at the speedo and noticed I was doing 75??? Rechecked the cruise setting and it was now set to 75?? Reset it to 70 and continued down the road. Car kept asking me to take over the steering. It took a bit to figure out how much holding of the wheel I had to do to keep the system happy. I let the LKA do its thing for a while, I didn’t like the way it kept wandering the car down the lane. A touch to the right, a touch to the left, repeat on down the road. After about 2-3 miles of that I couldn’t take it any more and just grabbed the wheel and steered the car myself. Then I found that the LKA was fighting me and it felt like I was drafting an 18 wheeler 5 feet behind the trailer. Like I was being buffeted all over the place. I turned off the LKA, much nicer and just ran with the cruise set to 70 for a while, no LKA. NIce. I turned off the cruise and just drove the car with minimum assistance. The car felt nice and stable, no clue how fast I was going, cars were passing me, I was passing nobody, I was just enjoying the ride and the scenery. Then I happened to glance at the speedo… I was doing 80!!! I had no idea/clue I was going that fast. This car would easily get me in trouble. Somewhere in there I also figured out why my speed settings kept changing. I didn’t realize that the haptic buttons on the steering wheel were also sliders and I was apparently sliding my fingers over the controls changing the settings without realizing it. Some where during the test drive my back started to hurt. I spent a good deal of time sorting out the seat trying to get comfortable. Never really succeeded, tried out the seat massage to see if that would help. I didn’t like the seat massage and it didn’t help with my back pain. I think when I started out the lumbar support was at max and that is what caused me the pain that I never recovered from, my back was still sore the following morning. I felt that B mode deceleration/regeneration was greater in the AWD than it was in the 1st edition. The AWD version is definitely noisier/louder than the 1st edition I drove. According to the dB meter app on my phone, radio off, windows closed, same road same speed. The 1st edition averaged 74.8dB, AWD 77.8dB, my TDI Jetta 84.2dB. Indicating my Jetta is twice as loud as the 1st edition. There might maybe be more motor noise with the AWD vs the 1st edition, but 95% of the difference is the noisier tires on the AWD. I didn’t remember to take note of what tires were on the AWD. Pulling away from a stop, the acceleration was very nice. The salesman suggested I get going about 10 mph and then punch it and see what happened. I was caught off guard and it literally snapped my head back. I was not expecting that.

Why I rejected the car- There were several reasons. I didn’t like the lies the salesman told me. Didn’t like the trade-in the dealership gave me. Carvana offered me $14,900 for my Jetta, using the link from the VW Portal to KBB, KBB retail trade-in value was $12,800 and dealer offered me $10,500. I found the LKA, ‘self driving’ mode more annoying than helpful. I am moving from Maine to rural Virginia and won’t need the AWD or the performance that comes with it. The key in my decision was that I was not going to spend $50K for a vehicle that might cause me back pain. I think once I get moved and settled in, I will look again at a RWD Pro/S or maybe a Buzz if it ever comes out.
I agree with you almost one hudred percent. I just drove form Florida to Pittsburgh and stressed the entire trip. First the ability to map out the trip was a nightmare. The GPS wanted to send me up the east coast to Washington DC and then cross over to Pittsburgh. This is the way they did it 30 years ago but we have newer highways but VW system just would not map it out as the Garmin does or any cellphone does. The mileage diff is over 200. Thats an extra charge and three more hours of driving. Let me say something about the Travel Assist ID4 as they call it. I found that it would keep me centered and the ACC worked very well except for one time. That time would have run me into the back of a truck and fast... The seats I disagree on. Found the fake leather seats to be very adjustable and very comfortable although I agree the "massager" isn't useful. Its not much of a massager. To me the reason not to buy this car yet is all the flaws in the software. The car is always screwing up with something. From useless navagation to only semi useful travel assist driving and lack of a good gps with chargers (even ABRP) if you are like me you will need valium when you stop. The stress level was very high and I only wondered how VW could let crape software like this out over a year already without fixes. They have lost me as a repeat customer. Oh, Oh and just to say CARVANA gave me almost 9k more that the dealer offered and 8k more than Blue Book at the time. It was a Sorrento that was six years old and they gave me almost twenty thou

Good for you. So many software issues on this car. They have not done a thing to correct these issues. Yes the dealer alone would have made me walk. The travel assist is first grade at best. Had scared the bejesus out of me at times. I'm really sorry i bought the car. Well leased to get the 7500 bucks. VW has lost me. I don't like companies that don't take customer concerns seriously. I've seen same complaints hundreds of times. Glad you did not buy the car.

·
ID.4 Pro S Dusk Blue w/Black
26 Posts
Because you don't have to pay tax on the entire price of the new car but only on the difference between the price of the trade-in and the price of the new car - if you trade your old car as part of the same transaction. Of course, if the difference in the price of the used car between Carvana and the VW dealer is $4,000, then you are better off selling your old car to Carvana and paying sales tax for the entire price of the ID.4.
i don’t the laws in every state, obviously, but I can tell you that in the multiple states I have lived in the tax is the difference between your newly purchased car and your old sold car. Whether you sell it on your own, or sell it to the dealer is not relevant. I got a trade quote from my dealer, then promptly sold in a private sale.

And realistically, who honestly expects more in trade from a dealer than you could sell for on your own? If they do offer more they are just shifting discounts on the new car to the trade.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts