Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
243 Posts
I see those on driver's side window on all sorts of cars in Ca., even though some have been on the road for years.
I suppose it's only meant as a warning to the original buyer, so first thing I do is remove them. They not only look ugly, but they could affect visibility to the side. A surprising number of folks leave them on, although obviously most remove them. A lot of the things we buy in Ca have similar warning labels.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
946 Posts
I removed all stickers from my ID4. They're annoying, at best useful once, and detract from the look. Even the security system ones. Now, if only the airbag warning could be peeled off the sun visors. They're the ugliest of all, and I don't think I've read the entire thing even once.

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
299 Posts
California shall also warn you about eating cooked food.

The more warnings one generates, it would seem the less seriously they are taken.
I helped a buddy move house years ago. When I showed up he was in the middle of an argument with his girlfriend. He was trying to explain that writing “Fragile” on every single box was pointless and prevented them from knowing which boxes did in-fact contain the fragile items.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S Red
185 Posts
For clarity: the stickers are the product of California state law--more specifically, a ballot proposition that California voters passed in 1986. They're appearing on all of our cars - California bound or not - because the law potentially covers anything sold in e-commerce that might reach a Californian, but also because the warning potentially protects companies like VW wherever they're selling product. Full disclosure: I practiced some environmental law in California at around the time the law was passed, and the thinking back then was that this law required companies to actually manufacture safer products. Manufacturers realized it was cheaper to manufacture the stickers. What Is Prop 65? And Why Is There a Warning Label on This Thing I Bought?

·
434 Posts
Lead - The 12V Battery
Phthalate - Chemical to make plastic more durable etc.

So, the one for all warning label is somewhat applicable.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Phthalate used in release for plastic parts.

There is a lot of off-gassing in new cars as well. For some people that 'new car smell' can be really bad for their overall state of health. Luckily that doesn't seem to be a LOT of people, but it's not anything either.

·
475 Posts
For clarity: the stickers are the product of California state law--more specifically, a ballot proposition that California voters passed in 1986. They're appearing on all of our cars - California bound or not - because the law potentially covers anything sold in e-commerce that might reach a Californian, but also because the warning potentially protects companies like VW wherever they're selling product. Full disclosure: I practiced some environmental law in California at around the time the law was passed, and the thinking back then was that this law required companies to actually manufacture safer products. Manufacturers realized it was cheaper to manufacture the stickers. What Is Prop 65? And Why Is There a Warning Label on This Thing I Bought?
Thanks for the info.

So, is it ok to remove the label from a vehicle? And is it ok to sell a post-1986 used vehicle w/o that label?

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S Red
185 Posts
Thanks for the info.

So, is it ok to remove the label from a vehicle? And is it ok to sell a post-1986 used vehicle w/o that label?
There are a lot of reasons to think that Prop 65 does not apply to you. For example, Prop 65 applies only to businesses with 10 or more employees. I'm not giving you legal advice, but somehow, the sticker you refer to is not presently on my car.

·
434 Posts
If it's on the window, there should be no reason you can't remove it. It's like those tags on mattresses, etc. that say don't remove under federal penalty. They have to be there from the manufacturer to the first point of sale to the customer. After that, no pass on liability that I'm aware of.

Everything is known to the state of California to cause cancer. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts