Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ID.4 FE is home sweet home. 馃榿

I got in an extensive test drive and was pleased from the first moment in its comfortable and spacious interior. Very peaceful quiet drive even with the driver's window down when around town.

As others had advised me it is larger than I expected, at about 5" longer than my wife's Benz GLA CUV, but no problem parking in the garage and the extra volume will come in handy.

The visibility all around is excellent as well. And I like the way the nose drops off in front of you. I gladly give up a "frunk" for that road view.

Will give other insights with some miles under my belt but I'm a happy camper!

Oh, and the dealership made a big deal as I was their first. ;)

IMG_2383.jpeg

Congratulations, its a beauty! Makes me glad that is the color I chose. Glad your dealer experience was nice.

Reactions: Huey52

Proud FE owner
Congrats. It looks very happy to be home.

2021 VW ID.4 1st, Dusk Blue

I got in an extensive test drive and was pleased from the first moment in its comfortable and spacious interior. Very peaceful quiet drive even with the driver's window down when around town.

As others had advised me it is larger than I expected, at about 5" longer than my wife's Benz GLA CUV, but no problem parking in the garage and the extra volume will come in handy.

The visibility all around is excellent as well. And I like the way the nose drops off in front of you. I gladly give up a "frunk" for that road view.

View attachment 1906
Congrats! Did you buy or lease? How did that go? Any funky add ons at the last minute?

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It went very smoothly. No surprises. The finance manager said he was obligated to show me the various options but I declined all. They ordered the Monster Mats and Cargo mat which should arrive in a couple days in time for my return to get my state inspection sticker (waiting on State for the registration; 7-day grace period).
I bought.

Congrats! Did you buy or lease? How did that go? Any funky add ons at the last minute?

ID.4 FE
It went very smoothly. No surprises. The finance manager said he was obligated to show me the various options but I declined all. They ordered the Monster Mats and Cargo mat which should arrive in a couple days in time for my return to get my state inspection sticker (waiting on State for the registration; 7-day grace period).
I bought.
How do the Monster Mats compare to a WeatherTech type product? Trying to decide what to get. Thanks.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Weathertech wrap up the sides a bit and the Monster are flat but are ID.4 logo鈥檇.

The Monster mats actually have fairly deep treads so I've never found a need for the "wrap up" style.

I went Monster, mostly for the logo. ;)

How do the Monster Mats compare to a WeatherTech type product? Trying to decide what to get. Thanks.

Congrats! I'm in the North Shore; supposedly mine is on a boat heading my way.

Do you think there is any room to negotiate for winter tires or comp the mats?

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I doubt Winter tires but very possibly the mats. ;)

The ID.4 comes with high quality all season tires. Not as good as dedicated Winter tires in deep snow, but AS continue to improve.

Congrats! I'm in the North Shore; supposedly mine is on a boat heading my way.

Do you think there is any room to negotiate for winter tires or comp the mats?

View attachment 1906
Looks great, what home charger are you going to use

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I installed a ChargePoint Flex Home unit back in November '20 just in case the Fed tax credit ended. It works AOK.

But you don't really need a "smart EVSE" as the ID.4 can and does handle all scheduling. However the ChargePoint is well rated in reliability over time so still worth it to me. And the ChargePoint App keeps track of charging sessions/durations and associated electric costs for same. I put ~$9 in the "tank" last night to take it from ~60% to 100% (I'll likely set 80% max in the vehicle from here on). ;)

Looks great, what home charger are you going to use

Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
I installed a ChargePoint Flex Home unit back in November '20 just in case the Fed tax credit ended. It works AOK.

But you don't really need a "smart EVSE" as the ID.4 can and does handle all scheduling. However the ChargePoint is well rated in reliability over time so still worth it to me.
ChargePoint seems to be one of the most popular ones and priciest too. I am leaning that way too after finding out my wife has a free ChargePoint at work. I am trying to minimalize the number of charging accounts we have. But I am interested in the new EA charger (if it actually comes out this spring).

ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
ChargePoint seems to be one of the most popular ones and priciest too. I am leaning that way too after finding out my wife has a free ChargePoint at work. I am trying to minimalize the number of charging accounts we have. But I am interested in the new EA charger (if it actually comes out this spring).
I ended up going with ChargePoint because we have it at work as well, again to minimize accounts and the like. I installed last year because of Tax Credit concerns as well. I agree the EA may be interesting merely because of the tie in, but it's not much less than the ChargePoint.

I would also point out that it is worth considering any EVSe that is "Smart", not for the wifi and scheduling necessarily, but for OCPP and grid scheduling.

Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
I ended up going with ChargePoint because we have it at work as well, again to minimize accounts and the like. I installed last year because of Tax Credit concerns as well. I agree the EA may be interesting merely because of the tie in, but it's not much less than the ChargePoint.

I would also point out that it is worth considering any EVSe that is "Smart", not for the wifi and scheduling necessarily, but for OCPP and grid scheduling.
So far it looks like the EA charger will be $650. I don't know if $50 is worth fretting over. Plus I want to make it as seamless as possible for my wife (she is still an EV newbie).

So far it looks like the EA charger will be $650. I don't know if $50 is worth fretting over. Plus I want to make it as seamless as possible for my wife (she is still an EV newbie).
The EA charger is also only rated to 40 amps, not the 48 amps that the ID.4 can handle. Not that that will make any difference if you don't have the wiring that will support the 48 amps (or even much difference in charge time), but if you are trying to max out then the Chargepoint is a good option. Home Depot also carries it online so coupons can help there too. It was on sale during the Christmas season, but I haven't seen that repeat since then.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts