Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got a call from my local Tesla sale center about a demo performance model marked down to $54,000 about $57,000 OTD. It’s blue with 13K miles with brand new tires and rims. I went to take a look at it and it looked brand new aside from a few minor interior panel adjustments I found that they said they would send to service to repair. I also have a blue FE that has “Left the factory”. I’m torn, I could get a top spec car I really love the model Y but I’d be giving up the $7,500 tax credit and paying a little more. With the tax credit and higher price I’d being paying about 17k more but it’s a lot more car for $17K. But then again the FE would have little to no miles on it. What would you do in my shoes?

·
248 Posts
So I got a call from my local Tesla sale center about a demo performance model marked down to $54,000 about $57,000 OTD. It’s blue with 13K miles with brand new tires and rims. I went to take a look at it and it looked brand new aside from a few minor interior panel adjustments I found that they said they would send to service to repair. I also have a blue FE that has “Left the factory”. I’m torn, I could get a top spec car I really love the model Y but I’d be giving up the $7,500 tax credit and paying a little more. With the tax credit and higher price I’d being paying about 17k more but it’s a lot more car for $17K. What would you do in my shoes? View attachment 2326
If you can afford the Y, buy it! It is a performance car compared to the ID 4. If you want a nice EV and that’s all you need get the ID.

·
77 Posts
You're asking on an ID.4 forum so I'd expect your answer might be a bit skewed. I had a Model Y on reservation when they first took reservations, and I wound up cancelling. It's a very personal decision, but for me, the nearest service center is 1.5 hours away, and with Tesla's reputation for being in the shop / poor quality control, I really didn't want to spend over $50,000 with the likelihood that I spend hours of my life frustrated with quality issues or service calls. I didn't want to spend that money and feel like wind noise, road noise, ride quality, weren't worth $50,000. I've always owned VWs though, and waited - not patiently - for the ID.4 (Crozz probably at the time) to take pre-orders. I actually reserved another model Y and cancelled that, too, in the time frame while I waited. In the end though, I'm happy with my ID.4, and happy I spent about $20,000 less than I would have on a Model Y. Happy to still be in a VW that feels quiet, solid, and surefooted. I like to think I'd regret it if I'd bought the model Y - but you never know. There's folks right in this forum that will tell you they regret getting the ID.4. So again - it's very personal. Only you can decide what's right for you.

Oh, PS, in my opinion, Elon is an unmitigated a-hole man-child so that weighs against Tesla for me too.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
189 Posts
Let say it this way. is the model Y 25% better moneywise?

some parts are (power/acceleration/consumption/software/7 seats?)
Some may not (exterior/interior/paint quality/room/trunkspace/dealer network)

Its a thing i cant answer for you ;)

Reactions: theboomr

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
You cite you "love" the Model Y. If you can afford it, and likely you can if even asking, then get it.

Pro's/Con's either way. If you think you'll regret not getting the Y, then again just get it.

But do carefully weigh needs vs. desires. Desires can diminish with time but meeting needs lives on. ;)

·
526 Posts
Here are some areas I think the ID.4 is ahead of the Tesla model Y:
Power Sunshade on the large sunroof.
Ground clearance of 8.2" versus 6.6"
Has Carplay & Android auto.
Heated windshield (on AWD)
More physical buttons for controls.
rain sensing wipers that actually work (Tesla uses the dash cam to do sensing.)
Adjustable regen rate (D + B)
power liftgate (Tesla started last year, might not be on the 1 you are looking at)

Tesla has a much better charging network if you plan on doing road trips, but its also much more crowded in some areas.

·
ID.4 FE
88 Posts
If you want a thrilling rocketship with some gimmicks,a really annoying interface aand limited cargo space get the Y. Also, no CarPlay is a huge bummer.

If you want something more practical, with few gimmicks, a slightly annoying interface, and more cargo space get the ID4.

They Y costs substantially more and carries higher insurance premiums.

They say Tesla has a superior charging network, but I’ve got a 150kW EA CSS charger 10 minutes away (always unoccupied at a Target I frequent) that Tesla can only use at 50kW with a $400 CHAdeMO adapter, and while the closest supercharging is 30 mins away in a congested area.

·
112 Posts
I just picked up a model 3. No quality issues on mine and none that were at the center appeared to have any paint or panel issues in my quick looks while waiting for paperwork to be complete. I feel like Tesla quality issue are a bit blown out of proportion. I cancelled my FE because I hate large vehicle and if I didn’t have kids I’d drive a two door coupe.
The whole tax credit thing let’s be honest anyone buying a FE or a Tesla doesn’t even need the tax credit.
Both are great cars just depends on the purchasers needs and while I cancelled mine for a Tesla, I’m glad the overwhelming majority who got their FE have enjoyed it. More green less ICE (I’m a hippy)

·
2021 First Edition
177 Posts
So you're looking at $9-10K more for a used car and another $7500 in federal rebates, plus state incentives ($3k+ in CA)

Personally, I have much better ways to spend almost $20k, but you do you. If you love the Tesla that much, buy it.

·
22 Posts
I just picked up a model 3. No quality issues on mine and none that were at the center appeared to have any paint or panel issues in my quick looks while waiting for paperwork to be complete. I feel like Tesla quality issue are a bit blown out of proportion. I cancelled my FE because I hate large vehicle and if I didn’t have kids I’d drive a two door coupe.
The whole tax credit thing let’s be honest anyone buying a FE or a Tesla doesn’t even need the tax credit.
Both are great cars just depends on the purchasers needs and while I cancelled mine for a Tesla, I’m glad the overwhelming majority who got their FE have enjoyed it. More green less ICE (I’m a hippy)
The Model 3 is larger than the ID 4!!

·
Pro S w/Gradient AWD
66 Posts
So I got a call from my local Tesla sale center about a demo performance model marked down to $54,000 about $57,000 OTD. It’s blue with 13K miles with brand new tires and rims. I went to take a look at it and it looked brand new aside from a few minor interior panel adjustments I found that they said they would send to service to repair. I also have a blue FE that has “Left the factory”. I’m torn, I could get a top spec car I really love the model Y but I’d be giving up the $7,500 tax credit and paying a little more. With the tax credit and higher price I’d being paying about 17k more but it’s a lot more car for $17K. But then again the FE would have little to no miles on it. What would you do in my shoes? View attachment 2326
Do both cars meet the functionality you're looking for? I know what you're saying, and I agree, but It's the ID.4 for me. I think it's a nicer looking vehicle and just works better for my needs.

·
175 Posts
If you can afford the Y, buy it! It is a performance car compared to the ID 4. If you want a nice EV and that’s all you need get the ID.
Like most have pointed out, it’s a personal choice. Go with heart or you may regret the decision. All cars have issues, all cars have different specs, there is no perfect car on the market no matter how much or how little you spend.

·
Proud FE owner
994 Posts
One is an apple and the other is an orange. Given the option to select one at the grocery store, you wouldn't debate the choice. I think you already know which is which.

Reactions: Huey52

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
It's good that you are weighing your choice carefully and I think you know what your choice is. If you are struggling though, you could make a simple matrix of all the Pro's/Con's as YOU see them and go from there. I would not want to have a group of semi-anonymous people make a decision like this for me. This group is great, they are very intelligent and passionate, but they are not YOU.

·
Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
215 Posts
I don’t know, if you are on an ID4 forum trying to decide if you should get the Tesla, you should probably get the Tesla. If price is not an issue and you seem to have some trepidation on the ID4, get the Tesla. The ID4 is more practical for me. Love the acceleration of the Teslas. But since I’m not a street racer I don‘t NEED that type of acceleration (but I get it). Do what’s best for you. Good luck on your decision.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
I think there are a number of us who analyzed this choice, possibly to the point of analysis paralysis. But as I just returned from my 3rd lumber/gardening materials run in the past two weeks I couldn't help but again plagiarize the A-Team tagline "I love it when a plan comes together." ;)

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
687 Posts
So you're looking at $9-10K more for a used car and another $7500 in federal rebates, plus state incentives ($3k+ in CA)

Personally, I have much better ways to spend almost $20k, but you do you. If you love the Tesla that much, buy it.
$17,000+ is half of an ID.4 FE. That's not chump change to me, although it may be for others. 'Nuff said.

·
267 Posts
It really depends on how much value you put on performance. That's a big chunk o' change but it's an equally big performance difference. If performance holds a lot of value to you but is not the be all, end all then you could a) wait for the ID.4 AWD or b) split the value difference and get a new Model Y LR.

Reactions: egsell

·
5 Posts
Hi there. It's definitely a personal choice. I had an ID4 ProS on order but ended up canceling and getting a 2021 Model Y. After I bought the tesla I test drove the ID4 and was underwhelmed by the VW. I prefer the exterior look of the ID4, but the interior felt cheap relative to the tesla. The sat nav on the ID4 didn't work right for the test drive so they had to use a 3rd party app on Apple car play to follow a pre programmed route. During the drive I lost the navigation screen on several occasion while I was playing with the car's settings, and it was a huge pain to bring the navigation instructions back up. Even adjusting the mirrors was confusing on the little knob on the door. The only things that I preferred on the ID4 over the tesla are the overall visibility and the blind spot monitoring. The cargo area is bigger on the model Y, although the ID4 may have more cargo volume due to the hight of the roof over the trunk. Sound system is much much better on the model y. Also, I wanted the HUD on the ID4 but that never made it in the US model. The roof shade is nice in the ID4 but the tesla has a darker tinted roof than the ID4, so there's no need for the shade really. And I live in So Cal where the sun shines bright a lot. Also, I am an android user and thought I'd want Android Auto. But turns out using navigation on the model Y is just like using Google maps. And the tesla music streaming service is excellent. So from my perspective if you can afford it get the tesla. Remember that your insurance will be quite a bit more expensive vs the ID4, and music streaming service is an extra also. But again, there are many other personal things to consider when choosing between the two. I think for the price I could be happy with an ID4, provided all the bugs get ironed out.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts