Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
812 Posts
With a charger down in Columbus TX, how did you handle a charging stop that had no working chargers? This is exactly the nightmare that people are scared of to travel in an EV long distance.

·
812 Posts
I check the status of the next charger as I leave the charger I am using. I also look for other chargers in the area where the dead one is even if I have to pay for it. . In Columbus, TX there are no other options. So I charged to 100% while at the Katy Mills charger and then I had enough range to get to San Antonio.

I also have my home charger with me so a 50 amp RV site will work and campgrounds are everywhere.
hoe do you charge at an RV site? You check in for 24 hours, charge, and then check out? How does this work?

·
812 Posts
I guess 3 days of regrouping is enough. As I posted before I have made the first 2,170 miles of this trip solo, but today I'm leaving Lake Havasu City, AZ for Las Vegas, NV to pick up my better half at the airport. She will be with me for the rest of this trip. And Las Vegas is forecast to only hit 107F today. Lake Havasu City was 107F yesterday and forecast to hit 109F today. I did get to see London Bridge in the am two days ago before it got too hot. My charging stops today will be Needles, CA and then again in Las Vegas close to the airport. I won't really need that charge, but I might as well while waiting for the plane arrival. I was going to charge here in Havasu on the destination charger last evening, but a Tesla has had the charger hogged all night. It stopped charging several hours ago, but did he get up and unplug? We know the answer to that. Oh well, I have enough charge to get to Needles so I really don't need it anyway. Besides, I'm on vacation and retired. Who's in a hurry?
You are a brave soul. I wouldn’t venture out in 110F in an EV. Get plenty of water with you. 110F is no joke.

·
812 Posts
I have been driving around the local area here for the past several days in 105-107F temps. The car does great, the a/c works perfectly and I do have the glass roof. Keeping the shade closed works great. I am glad I'm leaving here before Saturday when the forecast is for 116F.
I know it works great as long as it works. The problem is if it doesn’t work anymore, surviving in a 110F heat is no joke. I would still bring plenty of water and a cooler filled with ice just in case.

·
812 Posts
Well all good and HOT things come to an end. It is currently 107F here and we are leaving Las Vegas first thing in the morning for points north where tomorrow's high is forecast to be 65F. I'll have to break out my woolies or risk freezing. Now what is that charging curve for lower temps again? How quickly we forget.

I'll post more tomorrow after we get a few hundred miles north. Yellowstone area here we come.
Alabamian people can’t easily survive in 65F. Be careful and take care of yourself.

·
812 Posts
Not so happy update. We arrived in Grand Junction, CO yesterday with the better half not feeling so good. This morning she was worse, so of to the ER. Yep, Covid and she has had both of the vaccine shots. She is loaded up on medication right now and we are staying here another night. We will see what tomorrow holds. I don't feel so hot either, but a lot better than she does. We brought 4 Covid tests with us and she tested positive early this morning so that is the reason for the ER visit.

I have had both of the original Covid shots and also both boosters, the last one on 5-20. The medication she is on makes you sleepy, so I can't afford that since we need to get on the road. Again, see what tomorrow holds. At least we are at a nice spot.
My wife caught COVID three weeks ago being fully vaccinated and double boosted (developed symptoms 2 days after the fourth shot). Took her 12 days no longer to test positive. The first few days she stayed in bed. Started developing pneumonia on day 2 of symptoms. Said it felt like an elephant was sitting on her chest. I was preparing to take her to the doctor, but then the pneumonia went away on its own. She was taking zinc, mucinex, and Emergen-C (all self prescribed). Day 4 she started feeling better. I never got it from her. I am also double-vaccinated and double-boosted. With all four vaccine shots, Omicron shouldn’t be too serious, but you may be stuck in this hotel for 3-4 more days. My wife was self-isolating in a bedroom, but it’s hard to do it in a hotel, so wear a mask.

·
812 Posts
51 charging sessions for a 5,000 mile trip sounds like a lot of charging stops.

I chickened out and took my Kia Sorento on a 4,500 mile trip to Canada. We went through some back country of North Carolina (even hopped onto Blue Ridge parkway for a couple hours), then western Virginia, West Virginia, western Pennsylvania, New York State, western Vermont (Burlington), and then crossed into Canada. Then we took back roads in Quebec, with some even losing pavement and becoming gravel for a few miles and then regaining pavement. We stopped in Sherbrooke, QC and then drove to our destination a couple hours east of Quebec City.

There are thee DC chargers in town: two 50 kW and one 100 kW. A lot Teslas around (12 Tesla supercharger stalls in town). So far, I’ve seen a couple Mustang Mach Es and a couple Hyundai IONIQ 5. Saw a Tesla charging at a 50 kW Hydro Quebec station, using an adapter (not sure why, since they could charge at the Tesla supercharger); maybe it’s cheaper to get a charge at Hydro Quebec.

One thing I could say for sure is that we wouldn’t be able to take the route we did and see the things we saw and get to our destination in four days in the ID.4; we have a 12-year-old human and a 3-year-old canine with us on this trip. Some areas we drove through were Amish country, and there were no DC chargers around. Even in North Carolina mountains (Mount Airy) there were no DC chargers, not to mention West Virginia, rural Pennsylvania, etc.

Could we have made this trip in an EV? Possibly, but we would most likely have to stop at camp grounds to charge, make many more stops than we did, and probably bypass some back roads that we wanted to take. It would have taken us much longer to get to our destination. So, all in all, the EV charging infrastructure isn’t there yet.

Now, here in Quebec, we would be okay with an EV (as non-Tesla chargers are conveniently spaced along few roads that exist here). Tesla folks are range limited, as we are at the last east-most town with Tesla superchargers. From here and on all the way to Newfoundland and Labrador, there are no more superchargers.

I did buy a CCS to Tesla adapter from Korea and had it shipped to me a couple months ago, so I could keep going East in my Model Y and charge from Hydro Quebec DC chargers, but 99% of Tesla owners don’t have these adapters.

I’m thinking maybe we will make the same trip next year in a Tesla Model Y. When we get back, I will try to transfer all the stuff we brought with us on this trip to see if I can fit it into the Model Y. If so, maybe we will do a trip in the Model Y to here next year.

As for the ID.4, I just don’t know. We could take the interstate route all the way up the east coast and stop to charge 20 times on the way up and spend 10 hours of quality time browsing Walmart shelves, but that just doesn’t sound like a lot of fun to me. Not nearly as much fun as the fun we had driving in the Sorento through beautiful country and at least half of it being on back roads. Plus, what would we do with the 🐩 in the summer heat while the EV is charging 30 minutes at a time on a Walmart’s parking lot.

In other words, I think we did the right thing that we took our Sorento on this trip, which made it very enjoyable. We saw some beautiful countryside on the way to Quebec, and we were not limited in where we could drive. The only downside is that the last time I filled the tank (already here in Quebec), it was over $100 USD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts