Volkswagen ID Forum banner
81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 Pro S Gradient RWD
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
We ended up in Grand Junction, CO for the night. Time now to do a little laundry and have a nice dinner. We already checked in so that is done.

Charged to 90% leaving Spanish Fork to make sure we had enough charge to get to I70 down Hwy 6. We had plenty even without the extra 10%, Then charged at Green River Coffee which is closed. EA worked fine, just wanted a cup of coffee. Oh well. Then charged here in Grand Junction before checking in. All in all a good day, but I had rather be in Idaho Falls ready to pounce on Yellowstone tomorrow. At least I have 25 more months of free charging.

Now where to go to tomorrow? Somewhere south of Denver I'm thinking. But......who cares I'm retired.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
404 Posts
Well here is the latest update:

We then stopped at Pilot/Flying J at Scipio and the charger said it failed billing and to unplug, but the car was charging at normal speed so I just let it go. It charged normally and we left for Spanish Fork where we are for the night. I did have to press the stop charging button on the infotainment screen so I could unhook. That charge session should have been charged, but does not show up on my phone app or the web site. It didn't say it was a no charge. No issues of any kind today. As has been the case for the past 2,860 miles in the past two weeks. I left Alabama 2 weeks ago today.
This has been my experience on free weekends or other free charging promotions. If you try to pay, you will get some sort of billing error but it still charges. Also it won't show up in your account as it never charged your account.

·
ID.4 FE MB
90 Posts
We ended up in Grand Junction, CO for the night. Time now to do a little laundry and have a nice dinner. We already checked in so that is done.

Charged to 90% leaving Spanish Fork to make sure we had enough charge to get to I70 down Hwy 6. We had plenty even without the extra 10%, Then charged at Green River Coffee which is closed. EA worked fine, just wanted a cup of coffee. Oh well.
shame it was closed, it’s a nice little coffee shop :)

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
750 Posts
Lots of great National or State parks in CO/UT area. Pick one at random. Go see Bears Ears, or check out the "Front Range" on CO's western edge.

·
id.4 White FE
36 Posts
Ed, nice documentary here. Several decades ago my wife and I made a 2 weeks driving loop similar to yours. Some other interesting places we toured in CO was Mesa Verde country where the cliff dwelling Pueblos lived, Pike's Peak - which was still closed about 3/4s of the way up in May due to snow accumulation! - and an old filming town where the Duke, John Wayne, made some western movies. Went down into an old gold/diamond mine shaft tour called Mollie Kathleen too. Beautiful country! And War Eagle from Alabama. Hope to make that tour again someday in my id.4.

·
1,086 Posts
Gypsum Colorado has a dirt road that goes up into the mountains. My German Shepherd Bindi chased a moose back down that road into the desert after it snuck up on us while we were asleep. Beautiful State and friendly people!

·
115 Posts
My parents are making their semi annual trek from Montana back to the East Coast currently. They drove through Yellowstone in the rain on Sunday, luckily they hadn’t booked a stay there and made it to their hotel in Cody that night. If they had left 24 hours later they may have been caught in the flooding.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Not so happy update. We arrived in Grand Junction, CO yesterday with the better half not feeling so good. This morning she was worse, so of to the ER. Yep, Covid and she has had both of the vaccine shots. She is loaded up on medication right now and we are staying here another night. We will see what tomorrow holds. I don't feel so hot either, but a lot better than she does. We brought 4 Covid tests with us and she tested positive early this morning so that is the reason for the ER visit.

I have had both of the original Covid shots and also both boosters, the last one on 5-20. The medication she is on makes you sleepy, so I can't afford that since we need to get on the road. Again, see what tomorrow holds. At least we are at a nice spot.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,819 Posts
Not so happy update. We arrived in Grand Junction, CO yesterday with the better half not feeling so good. This morning she was worse, so of to the ER. Yep, Covid and she has had both of the vaccine shots. She is loaded up on medication right now and we are staying here another night. We will see what tomorrow holds. I don't feel so hot either, but a lot better than she does. We brought 4 Covid tests with us and she tested positive early this morning so that is the reason for the ER visit.

I have had both of the original Covid shots and also both boosters, the last one on 5-20. The medication she is on makes you sleepy, so I can't afford that since we need to get on the road. Again, see what tomorrow holds. At least we are at a nice spot.
Sorry to hear.

·
2019 Leaf SL+, waiting on an ID.4 AWD ProS, Dusk Blue
337 Posts
COVID can definitely put a damper on your vacation. Sorry to hear this. Did they start her on Paxlovid? I have heard people feel dramatically better with that in 24-48 hours, however, I have also heard about people who get rebound COVID so keep testing.

·
1,086 Posts
Sorry to hear. Sometimes it is good to just get a hotel and hunker down a couple days while you recover. Had to do that once 4/5 the way home because I knew it would be a bad idea to throw up in my helmet.

·
607 Posts

My wife caught COVID three weeks ago being fully vaccinated and double boosted (developed symptoms 2 days after the fourth shot). Took her 12 days no longer to test positive. The first few days she stayed in bed. Started developing pneumonia on day 2 of symptoms. Said it felt like an elephant was sitting on her chest. I was preparing to take her to the doctor, but then the pneumonia went away on its own. She was taking zinc, mucinex, and Emergen-C (all self prescribed). Day 4 she started feeling better. I never got it from her. I am also double-vaccinated and double-boosted. With all four vaccine shots, Omicron shouldn’t be too serious, but you may be stuck in this hotel for 3-4 more days. My wife was self-isolating in a bedroom, but it’s hard to do it in a hotel, so wear a mask.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 · (Edited)
And the saga continues. I had a slight headache early afternoon and a low grade fever so I drug out the covid test and I'm positive also. So off to the ER, the same one my wife went to this morning. At least I knew the routine. Just took the first dose of Paxlovid. My wife feels much better after just taking her first dose at noon.
I think we are going to head further east in the morning and see how it goes. The car is charged up and ready to continue this vacation, but with masks and isolation.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,253 Posts
Very sorry to read that this very enjoyable to date travelogue has taken such a "detour." All the best for as speedy a rebound as possible, especially considering away from home. 😔

Timing back in your log appears you most likely contracted in Vegas.

Heck, even Dr. Fauci has now tested positive. Just shows that this pandemic will be through with us when it wants to be and not when we want it to be!!

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Very sorry to read that this very enjoyable to date travelogue has taken such a "detour." All the best for as speedy a rebound as possible, especially considering away from home. 😔

Timing back in your log appears you most likely contracted in Vegas.

Heck, even Dr. Fauci has now tested positive. Just shows that this pandemic will be through with us when it wants to be and not when we want it to be!!
I think you are correct on where we picked this up. It could have been that my wife got it on the two flights she took to get to Vegas also. Who knows, but it is 5:00am here right and I'm awake about my usual time and feel good. I'm thinking a little over 300 miles today ending around Colorado Springs. There are lots of places along this route to stop early if my desire runs too far ahead of my present ability. 😁
This also be my greatest elevation change in the ID. 4. I saw a pretty big drop on the gom two days ago after leaving Spanish Fork which regen gave over 20 miles back arriving at Green River exactly what ABRP predicted. Having the dongle plugged in super and has been right on the money every time. As the gom range drops while ascending and the distance remaining to the charger gets closer to the gom number you can't help but keep a sharp eye out. But then look at the ABRP charge at destination and it is always the same. I have never seen this number change more than 1% from what it showed when leaving on the trip segment.

Thanks for your kind words and all others here as well.

·
ID.4 Pro-S AWD
28 Posts
Ending in Colorado Springs you can at least drive around Garden of the Gods park, it's a beautiful short (free) drive.

Road construction mean detours near the park, Here's my advice:
Exit I25 at Fillmore, head west up the hill and Turn North on Mesa, go past Garden of the Gods country club and Kissing Camels Club (nice places to stay, by the way) and enjoy the nice turn out with a view. Then go back south on Mesa and turn right back on to Fillmore (becomes "Fontmore") and then turn right on 30th street, and then into the park. Drive the loop a couple of times, head to balanced rock. Might as well drive on through Manitou Springs (obey the speed limits), drive up Manitou Ave and loop around a bit.

Smoke from the Calf Fire East of Taos is expected to hit us this afternoon, all the way past Denver. If you head down to Santa Fe it will be bad almost until Las Vegas NM, sometimes very heavy. Be careful, with your Covid, maybe the AirCare setting and Recirc will help with the smoke.

I think you are correct on where we picked this up. It could have been that my wife got it on the two flights she took to get to Vegas also. Who knows, but it is 5:00am here right and I'm awake about my usual time and feel good. I'm thinking a little over 300 miles today ending around Colorado Springs. There are lots of places along this route to stop early if my desire runs too far ahead of my present ability. 😁
This also be my greatest elevation change in the ID. 4. I saw a pretty big drop on the gom two days ago after leaving Spanish Fork which regen gave over 20 miles back arriving at Green River exactly what ABRP predicted. Having the dongle plugged in super and has been right on the money every time. As the gom range drops while ascending and the distance remaining to the charger gets closer to the gom number you can't help but keep a sharp eye out. But then look at the ABRP charge at destination and it is always the same. I have never seen this number change more than 1% from what it showed when leaving on the trip segment.

Thanks for your kind words and all others here as well.

·
12 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I hope she (and you) feel better soon!

81 - 100 of 145 Posts