Volkswagen ID Forum banner
101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 Pro S Gradient RWD
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Ending in Colorado Springs you can at least drive around Garden of the Gods park, it's a beautiful short (free) drive.

Road construction mean detours near the park, Here's my advice:
Exit I25 at Fillmore, head west up the hill and Turn North on Mesa, go past Garden of the Gods country club and Kissing Camels Club (nice places to stay, by the way) and enjoy the nice turn out with a view. Then go back south on Mesa and turn right back on to Fillmore (becomes "Fontmore") and then turn right on 30th street, and then into the park. Drive the loop a couple of times, head to balanced rock. Might as well drive on through Manitou Springs (obey the speed limits), drive up Manitou Ave and loop around a bit.

Smoke from the Calf Fire East of Taos is expected to hit us this afternoon, all the way past Denver. If you head down to Santa Fe it will be bad almost until Las Vegas NM, sometimes very heavy. Be careful, with your Covid, maybe the AirCare setting and Recirc will help with the smoke.
Thank you so much for the above info. Unfortunately my wife has her heart set on Santa Fe and Taos. I hope the smoke and damage isn't too bad, but we going to have a look see it seems. We are in Pueblo now.

Off to Taos and Santa Fe tomorrow. She doesn't want to spend a lot of time in Taos just drive through and take a look at the downtown area. She was there once with her parents a long time ago.

So tomorrow it is Pueblo to Trinidad and a 90% charge or maybe 100% and then through Taos and on to Santa Fe. ABRP says we are good and we will no doubt eat something in Taos and I have a destination charger picked out for a couple of hours if it works. I should still have 30% on arrival in Santa Fe even without it. So.....tomorrow is another day. As with all of the past 17 days the ID. 4 has performed perfectly. Absolutely zero issues with the car.

·
ID.4 FE MB
90 Posts
You can also go over la Veta pass. It’s a pretty drive and imo more relaxed than I25. A short charge in walsenburg at George’s drive inn is more than enough to get you to Taos, where there are several L2 charging options.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
One thing I haven't reported about our trip is the overall efficiency in mi/kWh. I set the setting to zero when I left home 18 days ago. During that period I drove from central Alabama to Mobile, AL, Interstate 10 west to Needles, California, north to Las Vegas, NV then north to Spanish Fork, UT. At that point we had to abandon the trip to Yellowstone due to the storm/flood damage so we diverted to Colorado through Grand Junction and Denver then south to Santa Fe, NM with a site trip to Taos, NM. My overall efficiency is 3.2 mi/kWh. I drive 72 on the interstates and also 72 where we had speed limits of 75 and 80. I just like 72. I follow lower speed limits as exact as possible. I just don't speed. A/C is on all the time and set to 70-72 degrees, fan in mid range or a little higher if temps warrant such as when the daily temps were in the 105-109 F when in Nevada early this week. I don't do jack rabbit starts and drive in B mode exclusively.

Overall I'm very pleased with the these numbers considering a bit of 4,000 miles of history in many weather and terrain conditions including a couple of 11,000' mountain passes.

If I have left something out please let me know.

·
944 Posts
One thing I haven't reported about our trip is the overall efficiency in mi/kWh. I set the setting to zero when I left home 18 days ago. During that period I drove from central Alabama to Mobile, AL, Interstate 10 west to Needles, California, north to Las Vegas, NV then north to Spanish Fork, UT. At that point we had to abandon the trip to Yellowstone due to the storm/flood damage so we diverted to Colorado through Grand Junction and Denver then south to Santa Fe, NM with a site trip to Taos, NM. My overall efficiency is 3.2 mi/kWh. I drive 72 on the interstates and also 72 where we had speed limits of 75 and 80. I just like 72. I follow lower speed limits as exact as possible. I just don't speed. A/C is on all the time and set to 70-72 degrees, fan in mid range or a little higher if temps warrant such as when the daily temps were in the 105-109 F when in Nevada early this week. I don't do jack rabbit starts and drive in B mode exclusively.

Overall I'm very pleased with the these numbers considering a bit of 4,000 miles of history in many weather and terrain conditions including a couple of 11,000' mountain passes.

If I have left something out please let me know.
Great info. Thanks! What mode do you drive in? Comfort? Eco? Sport?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Great info. Thanks! What mode do you drive in? Comfort? Eco? Sport?
I knew I forgot something.
Actually I use Custom with every option set to Eco. I do that because straight Eco resets to Comfort frequently and Custom with all options set to Eco stays put for a long while. I have been on this long vacation trip now for closing in on 3 weeks and Custom has never switched to Comfort once on it's own.

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
750 Posts
The mountain passes seem like the most challenging part to an EV. That's where you can get frightened because of the range disappearing quickly, but you seem to have mastered it!

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
The mountain passes seem like the most challenging part to an EV. That's where you can get frightened because of the range disappearing quickly, but you seem to have mastered it!
Interesting that abrp when used with a obd dongle shows the arrival soc as soon as you enter your route. It is reading the battery as well as altitude changed along the route. I have never seen it change more than 1% from it's initial number. We'll worth the dongle cost. IMHO

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
It looks like it's wearing that manufacturers' zebra camouflage up front. 🤭
It was an IH chassis and this was one of the prototypes per the driver. He said they are commercially available now and this one just hasn't been changed.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Well enough of Santa Fe. Tomorrow morning we officially start our eastward trek back toward Alabama. Per ABRP we are 1,548 miles from home at this point. We plan to spend tomorrow night in the Amarillo, TX area and then on to Oklahoma City to visit relatives for a couple of days and again with more relatives in Little Rock. After Little Rock we will have a one day drive home.

Our limiting factor before arrival at the Oklahoma City relatives are a negative Covid test for both of us. Otherwise the relatives said to drive by and they will wave. We are planning a test tomorrow evening in Amarillo and if both are negative we will do it again the next day just before arrival. Fingers crossed.

Again, the ID. 4 is patiently waiting in the hotel parking lot ready for a charge and leave mid morning tomorrow.

More from Amarillo.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
We arrived in Amarillo a little while ago and the GOM lost it's mind completely. We had a direct crosswind across I40 for over the last 115 miles into Amarillo and arrived, per GOM with 14 miles left. As usual the ABRP number was more accurate - we arrived with 14% SOC so no problem. Travel Assist was amazing in handling the gusting crosswind.

I just posted this in another thread, but as of today we have traveled 4,005 miles since May 30 and charged with EA 41 times. We have traveled through 11 states so far with 3 more to go to get home. We have driven from sea level to as high as 11,000' several times in the mountains and in temps from the 40's to 109F. All speeds are speed limit or maybe 2 over, a/c on 70-72 all the time, cruise and travel assist on whenever possible, all in Eco mode. Average economy over the entire trip is 3.2 mi/Kw.

As usual, I'm sure I forgot something, just ask.

Off to Oklahoma City tomorrow for a few days with relatives if we both test Covid negative in a few.

·
1 Posts
I have the Wallbox 40A which I use at home and take with me when I travel long distances. It uses a 14-50 plug and as was stated above, 50a RV's use this same plug. Works just like at home and the Wallbox is small enough that is fits in the left rear floor of my ID.4 with room on top for other "stuff".

Right now I'm at a motel that has 2 Tesla destination chargers and my ID.4 is filling up using a Teslatap Mini 60amp. It is rocking right along at 29 mph. My Wallbox at home usually provides 34 mph at 9.3 amps so this Tesla charger much be just a tad less amp which is OK since I'm here for the night.
I'm just getting set up for my ID4. Wiring is in at my house, and I'm choosing a charger. I've been considering WallBox because they have some great innovations like an energy management module for your house panel. But I hadn't considered getting the 14-50 plug version instead of hard wired. Your post makes me think I should consider this. Are you saying that it also works at Tesla mini chargers?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,253 Posts
I presume you meant 6-50 as no longer any reason to have 14-50. Even if repurposing an existing line you're likely better served with a 6-50 receptacle, unless of course you still plan to plug in a very old dryer or such. Most welders and other tools use 6-50. I went plug-in 40A throughout specifically so I could use a welder on occasion, and a bit easier to replace the EVSE if necessary.

You need a TeslaTap or similar adapter to use Tesla 240V L2 Destination chargers at motels, etc. There was some news that Tesla would be opening up its DCFC Supercharger network to all (cost bearing for other than Tesla) but that hasn't as yet happened.

Reference the "Charging..." section for such further discussion.
I'm just getting set up for my ID4. Wiring is in at my house, and I'm choosing a charger. I've been considering WallBox because they have some great innovations like an energy management module for your house panel. But I hadn't considered getting the 14-50 plug version instead of hard wired. Your post makes me think I should consider this. Are you saying that it also works at Tesla mini chargers?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
I chose the 14-50 plug because that opens up 50 amp RV camping sites for charging if needed and I camp a lot.

·
654 Posts
If you travel, get a 14-50P in some manner–by dongle or cordset. I think maybe our esteemed mod has his wires plugs crossed. There will be a day when all 240V receptacles will need require a neutral, even if the EVSE doesn't.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
We arrived in Oklahoma City yesterday after the drive from Amarillo, TX. We will be here hopefully visiting relatives, but we have to test negative for Covid first. We will test daily until Thursday and is not negative by then, we will head on home to Alabama and skip other relatives in Little Rock as well. The good news is we both feel perfectly normal and good and the Covid medication was finished yesterday by both of us.

The drive from Amarillo was uneventful. We made one run longer than normal for us (we like shorter legs) just because we could from Santa Rosa, NM to Amarillo, TX. We left Santa Rosa with 80% charge and made it to Amarillo, 162 miles, with 14% SOC and again, 72 mph, a/c on 72, and 40+ direct crosswind. I'm still amazed how well travel assist handles the gusty crosswinds. If you are ever in this driving situation and want to really see what travel assist does, turn it off for a few. You will definitely turn it back on.

Next stop along the way will pause for a few days, but I will be back. We still have to get home to Alabama eventually. This is the 4th week of our long ID. 4 vacation.

101 - 120 of 145 Posts