Volkswagen ID Forum banner
121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,253 Posts
I was responding to @TrailDoug comment regarding his home EVSE potential plug-in installation and not on-the-road adapter selection (would have thought very clear by my contextual references, but I guess not). Certainly for road use you want to have as many "dongle" options as possible.

Now back to the travelogue ...
I chose the 14-50 plug because that opens up 50 amp RV camping sites for charging if needed and I camp a lot.
If you travel, get a 14-50P in some manner–by dongle or cordset. I think maybe our esteemed mod has his wires plugs crossed. There will be a day when all 240V receptacles will need require a neutral, even if the EVSE doesn't.

·
43 Posts
I would hope that edid4 could provide us with a manual on how to use the dongle along with a ABRP once you complete your travels. Thanks for taking us along on your journey. Stay Safe

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 Pro S Gradient RWD
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I need the dongle/ABRP for Dummies how-to...
ABRP has some pretty good instructions with their app. The dongle I have is the OBDlink CX, but there are others that work. This one was recommended by a VW Technician. They must be BLE dongles as I understand it. I'm not in a position to give a lot of info, but I do recommend the paid version since it is required for the dongle to work. The annual fee is not expensive, but worth every dime if you travel.

When you boot the app click on the abrp logo in the upper left corner to get into the setup. You need to have your dongle installed at this point. Click on the slider to enable Automatic settings and I changed the Charging stops to between quickest and short but many.

Other than just go through the menus here an change setting particular to you. Then just practice after watching the youtube videos you an find. The learning curve it a little steep, but well worth it.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
After doing some sightseeing here in Oklahoma City, we went by former homes, childhood homes, etc. This sightseeing did not involve getting close to the EA charger so I went ahead and used Chargepoint. This was the first time I have EVER paid for a charge. I had signed up for Chargepoint before the long trip so I had a card to use. It worked perfectly and connected FAST. Took on 26.64 kWh for $7.93 in 24 min. Worked great.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
That is about $23 for a 100% charge. Outrageous! Wait, my ICE Super Ethyl fill -up is now $100 more than that. Nevermind. ☺
I pay about half that per/kwh when charging at home, but I'm on the road.

The last time I filled up my diesel pickup it cost me $240.00. I haven't done that since.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Today, when the wife gets up, we are finally heading the last 850'ish miles home. After almost 4 weeks of travel, the adventure is two more days of driving from the end. These final two days will start in Oklahoma City where we are now and pass through Little Rock, AR, Memphis, TN, Athens, AL and then south to approx 60 miles south of Birmingham, AL. The total trip will end up a little over 5,000 miles and I will post a end trip follow up when we are officially home. The trip will end up about 700 miles shorter than originally planned since we had to skip Yellowstone due to the storm/flood damage that occurred when we were 300 miles south of the park. As I have reported previously our overall efficiency is holding at 3.2 mi/kWh for a little over 4,000 miles to date which I feel pretty good about considering all of the elevation changes, temperatures, road conditions, etc.

The one absolute constant is the ID. 4. Rock solid from day one. Yesterday riding around Oklahoma City in 100F temps the a/c was putting out the coldest air you could imagine and only moderate fan speed was necessary to keep us cool. Of course 100F was 9 degrees cooler than 109F while in Lake Havasu and Las Vegas last week. The humidity difference didn't seem to matter to the a/c. 7% in Lake Navasu and 70's here.

More to come later today as we get to the Memphis area for the night.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,253 Posts
If there was ever a positive example of long term roadtrip ID.4 reliability it is this thread. Thanks so much @edid4 !!!

I think you've single handedly restrained many of the naysayers hereabouts and know we will reference this very insightful narrative for much time to come (as already have!).

Now, don't lose focus in the home stretch as ... well, you know. ;) Continued safe and fun travels.(y)

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
If there was ever a positive example of long term roadtrip ID.4 reliability it is this thread. Thanks so much @edid4 !!!

I think you've single handedly restrained many of the naysayers hereabouts and know we will reference this very insightful narrative for much time to come (as already have!).

Now, don't lose focus in the home stretch as ... well, you know. ;) Continued safe and fun travels.(y)
I really appreciate your kind words. I knew I wanted to post a play by play as I traveled and it turned out to be fun, but I really appreciate your comments. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 · (Edited)
We left Oklahoma City this morning and ended up in Little Rock not Memphis as was planned. We spent too much time visiting with relatives in Oklahoma City before we left, but we also just had a nice visit from my sister here in Little Rock. She met us at our hotel and we had a visit in the lobby from 10' or so away.

A problem in Oklahoma with EA is there isn't a charger east of Weatherford, OK all the way to Clarksville, AR. So a change is required somewhere along the way. Francis Energy has a 200 kw charger in Henryetta, OK. There are two chargers at this location, but only the south one was working. Both are located behind Jiffy Mart and beside the Classic Diner. While charging we ate lunch at the diner and the food was excellent. Francis Energy has an app that needs to be downloaded so you can sign up with them and enter a credit card to pay for your charge. Once this is done the charge hand shakes quick and works great. I charged to 88% to have a little extra cushion to get to Clarksville, AR. Arrived with plenty to spare.

Our next stop was in Southwest Little Rock at WalMart. This is an 8 stall location so no trouble charging here. I'm sure at least one or two of the chargers didn't work, but I didn't find one. I charged to 85% here because we are staying at a hotel 12 miles away on the way out of town tomorrow. So I will start with an 80% charge.

The plan for tomorrow is to get home after just shy of 4 weeks on the road. Charging will be at Forrest City, AR and Memphis, TN. I plan to charge to probably 100% in Memphis so we can go direct to Athens, AL. I made this stretch twice before and only charged to 90% and made it, but I'm older and wiser than a year ago....maybe?

More to come after arrival back at home tomorrow afternoon/evening. Efficiency is still holding at 3.2 mi/kWh.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro RWD since 6/21
477 Posts
Efficiency is still holding at 3.2 mi/kWh.
That strikes me as really good. With the desert temperatures, elevation profiles on your route, higher speed limits of the West, and all the wind exposure on those open roads, 3.2 mi/kWh is a solid effort from your car.

We got 3.5 mi/kWh on a 1300 mile round trip NC to MI, but that was in ideal May temperatures, slower roads (55 mph through much of Ohio), and I think we lucked out with a bit of a net tail wind.

·
136 Posts
but I do recommend the paid version since it is required for the dongle to work
The paid version of ABRP is not required for the dongle to work, unless they changed their policy very recently.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
The paid version of ABRP is not required for the dongle to work, unless they changed their policy very recently.
I have had the paid version since July 2021 so maybe i'm wrong about that, but there is definitely something the paid version gets you. I just arrived back home a short night's sleep ago and am still a bit fuzzy.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
You come across as a bit of a pioneer as that is one long trip in a BEV! I was feeling that way after only 1,200 mostly uneventful miles in California.
I try.
Free charging and I'm retired just seemed like a great plan to travel around. I have been to 48 U.S. States and all of the lower 48 except Montana. I was wanting to get there and Yellowstone at the same time, but mother nature had other ideas. There is always the next trip and maybe EA will have opened up the Dakota's, Wyoming, and Montana by then. My next trip the Yellowstone area is being thought about already and I have only been home 9 hours from this last one.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Arrived at my home in central Alabama late 6-24-22. This trip has officially ended after 25 days on the road. We did end the trip approx a week earlier than originally planned due to Yellowstone being closed and Covid that joined us on the trip in Grand Junction, CO. Not getting to Yellowstone cut the trip short by a little over 600 miles. After the drive from Little Rock we charged at Forrest City, AR which worked fine. The on to Memphis. Connected, charge started and I started walking across the street to IHOP for a bite of breakfast. Then the EA email thanking me for the charge came through my phone. The charge stopped after 1 minute. Remember this was going to be the 100% charge for the next 200 mile leg. Sooooo, back across the street and moved to the next charger which did work fine, max charging speed was 84 kW and charged to 100% in 44 minutes. I don't recall the arrival SOC. The outside temp was 95F.

After Memphis we arrived in Athena, AL with 17% SOC so no problems with the 200 mile leg. When we arrived at the Athens EA there was a guy in a Bolt standing by his car talking on the phone. Not a good sign obviously. This was our last charge prior to the last 150 miles to home. I plugged in, with fingers crossed, to a 150kW unit and charged from 17% to 80% in 29 minutes with a max rate of 124.3 kW. The Bolt was still there when I left, but the driver wasn't so I didn't get to talk with him. I guess he went in WalMart.

Arrived home with 16% SOC after fighting rush hour traffic getting through Birmingham, AL. No issues with this final leg other than the traffic. Maybe being out west isn't so bad from a traffic standpoint

I had taken my Wallbox 40A on this trip in case I needed to plug into to a 14-50 plug somewhere, but never took it out of the car. It is now back in it's spot in my garage and the car is now charged back to 80% and ready for a day in the home area.

Not wanting to repeat what is in this thread previously, I will say the ID. 4 is a very capable road traveler with zero issues on this entire trip. And I mean zero issues with the car. As you can see from the attached infotainment screen we covered 5,145 miles with 125 hours travel time and an overall efficiency of 3.2 mi/kWh. I'm pleased with that. There were 49 EA charge sessions plus two paid charges in Oklahoma where EA isn't so the entire trip cost me under $15.00 out of pocket for charging over the entire trip.

If there are any questions or further discussion on some of my points, please let me know. It was a great trip except for not seeing Yellowstone and getting Covid, but to quote the last line in a southern classic book "tomorrow is another day", unless my quote memory is bad.

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Car Vehicle

121 - 140 of 145 Posts