Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
25 Posts
There should be towing numbers posted so we can just call and not have to confront anyone. Like in parking lots with multiple businesses that post clearly which towing company you'll find your car at if you park there.

·
88 Posts
There should be towing numbers posted so we can just call and not have to confront anyone. Like in parking lots with multiple businesses that post clearly which towing company you'll find your car at if you park there.
I started thinking about this, particularly after reading about the states that have laws against "ICEing" an EV charging spot. I started thinking the opposite, what if an EV parked next to gas pumps? I started thinking that, to the best of my knowledge, most states don't have laws that prevent people from parking in front of gas pumps. Instead, gas stations are private property and the owner, if someone blocks a pump, will just get the car towed.

In this case, I think this is something EA needs to address, as well as others that provide EV charging. First, they need to ensure all charging spots are clearly marked with signage stating that the spots are reserved for vehicles that are charging, and violators may be towed. I further agree with your idea, EA should "contract" with towing companies; possibly contracts that would have the towing companies making random checks of the charging locations to ensure people aren't parking there without charging.

At the least, though, they should have an arrangement with a tow company to tow cars that are parked but not charging, with the number posted on the "charging only" signs. This would work to prevent people from charging in the EV charging spots (particularly with the clear reference that they may be towed) and the tow company has an incentive to tow the cars, as they typically can make a few hundred dollars per car towed (based on the towing rates and storage/parking charges after the tow).

·
ID.4 FE GW
497 Posts
I didn't watch your video but got into a similar situation telling somebody not to park in (very well signed) EV charging spots in San Francisco.

Of course they got confrontational which is common when people know they are in the wrong but don't want to admit it.

It felt like another blow in the culture wars but I also won't stop calling out low level unethical behavior.
Did you offer to park in front of the gas pump they wanted to use to help them understand the situation? :)

·
210 Posts
At least this bloke will get a $59.60 idle time charge for leaving his car there for almost 3 hours 😉
Unfortunately he won't. If you zoom in on the second pic it reads a zero charge. I wondered if we get charged for idle time and apparently we do not. Still parked there when I left so add another 30 min.

·
25 Posts
It should also be posted clearly that there is a fine (if applicable in your state). In Nevada it is up to a $750 fine!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts