Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the car was very nice:
  • Drives very well - smooth, solid, good visibility, I had no issues with the brakes
  • Turning circle is excellent; I love that (I drove the RWD, AWD turning circle is mediocre)
  • Very comfortable, front and back (forgot to try the massage); plenty of room
  • Practical design for me, big enough, not too big
  • Power was perfectly adequate, though more pep would be nice
  • I don't care much about appearance, but I think it looks fine
There's only one reason I'm not buying it: VW removed a bunch of features from the American model, for no good reason (marketing? just plain spite?). Heads up display, surround view cameras, adaptive suspension, progressive steering, etc. all unavailable.

If Volkswagen hates Americans, I prefer to take my business elsewhere. Maybe the Hyundai, or the Nissan.

·
53 Posts
I agree would have been nice to have options at least but in Europe the car with those features is more expensive. Personally I’m happy with the compromises, if the car was 5-10 grand more wouldn’t have bought it.

Check out the Audi Q4, it is essentially a more luxury ID.4, that may have more of what you’re looking for and still on the MEB platform.

·
95 Posts
  • Drives very well - smooth, solid, good visibility, I had no issues with the brakes
  • Turning circle is excellent; I love that (I drove the RWD, AWD turning circle is mediocre)
There's only one reason I'm not buying it: VW removed a bunch of features from the American model, for no good reason (marketing? just plain spite?). Heads up display, surround view cameras, adaptive suspension, progressive steering, etc. all unavailable.

If Volkswagen hates Americans, I prefer to take my business elsewhere. Maybe the Hyundai, or the Nissan.
Exactly my reasoning too for cancelling the preorder. I think it's clear that VW knew that their target demographic in the US is generally unaware of EVs and that there were no other competitive EV offerings in the segment they are targeting. Therefore, they could get away with cutting features to improve their bottom line without much consequence. To those of us who know are more knowledgeable about EVs, I agree it's highly disappointing because VW is purposely offering a less featured ID4 in the US than anywhere else in the world and essentially forcing us upmarket to Audi to get the features that would otherwise be available. I am hopeful that the feature offering will improve once mainstream EV competitors from Kia, Hyundai, and Nissan arrive later this year.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue
476 Posts

Not sure how you tested the turning circle on the AWD, but you make good points. I don’t think they, VWOA, tried to make choices to alienate the American Consumer, but rather option a vehicle that appealed to the price sensitivity of the American Consumer. Yes, it would be nice to have HUD (maybe?), and 360 camera.

I’ve been thinking lately about people’s likes and needs on this car and other devices. When a thing is designed it is always built with compromise; be it cost, timing, or quality. And I guess the expression of those compromises, the box that the device is forced into, will appeal or offend a potential purchaser. Thankfully, 2021 appears to be the year of the EV and the availability of a broader selection of vehicles and segment competition will give you and I many many choices and hopefully the product that matches our needs.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,684 Posts
I believe VW was simply trying to achieve a competitive price point in the USA market within their cited business demographic. That necessitated a descoping of options vis a vis the European model.

Options that will likely be available in the future.

All the best with whichever vehicles you now decide upon.

·
476 Posts
Exactly my reasoning too for cancelling the preorder. I think it's clear that VW knew that their target demographic in the US is generally unaware of EVs and that there were no other competitive EV offerings in the segment they are targeting. Therefore, they could get away with cutting features to improve their bottom line without much consequence. To those of us who know are more knowledgeable about EVs, I agree it's highly disappointing because VW is purposely offering a less featured ID4 in the US than anywhere else in the world and essentially forcing us upmarket to Audi to get the features that would otherwise be available. I am hopeful that the feature offering will improve once mainstream EV competitors from Kia, Hyundai, and Nissan arrive later this year.
An interview with Dustin Krause recently suggested that the heat pump choice for the US vs Canada was a bit of a test. Since the US in general doesn’t have many areas with extreme temperatures and Canada does, they made that choice. And it seems they are going to monitor how that choice affects purchase as well as utility of the platform.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,266 Posts
So be aware that these cars are spec'd out by Volkswagen of America, and sure, it's still "VW," but it's execs here in the US, dealing with the reality that they have to separate from Audi's premium market, and certain cost factors including import tariffs and potentially EV rebate caps in some markets.

I'm just pointing that out because it's not some pissy guy in Wolfsburg hating on Americans, but the result of some form of strategic decision making.

I love the 2-tone brown and grey suede intetior, 360, HUD. Maybe we'll get those as options once Chattnooga begins production and the cost equation changes.

·
95 Posts
An interview with Dustin Krause recently suggested that the heat pump choice for the US vs Canada was a bit of a test. Since the US in general doesn’t have many areas with extreme temperatures and Canada does, they made that choice. And it seems they are going to monitor how that choice affects purchase as well as utility of the platform.
At the very minimum, they should have made it an option like Kia does with the Niro EV. It makes no sense at all that someone in Vancouver can have a heat pump while those in Upstate NY and New England with much colder winters, where a heat pump makes much more sense, are forced to do without.

·
476 Posts
At the very minimum, they should have made it an option like Kia does with the Niro EV. It makes no sense at all that someone in Vancouver can have a heat pump while those in Upstate NY and New England with much colder winters, where a heat pump makes much more sense, are forced to do without.
I agree

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally I’m happy with the compromises, if the car was 5-10 grand more wouldn’t have bought it.
Glad you're happy. Like many buyers I would gladly, if foolishly, pay $20,000 for $10,000 of cool features on my car.

Cheaping out seems to be quite common on electric cars - Chevy Bolt, the Teslas (cheaply built, albeit with some expensive and high-performance parts), Kona, Niro, Leaf. The only premium EVs I've seen are the Jaguar I-Pace and the current e-Tron, which is too bulky and heavy for me. I would suspect these manufacturers are all marketing geniuses, maximizing profits thru cheapness, except none of these EVs sell very well. I think they're missing an opportunity. Sure, there's a big market for decent cheap cars, but offer premium EVs at higher prices and they'd make a lot more money.

·
59 Posts
Glad you're happy. Like many buyers I would gladly, if foolishly, pay $20,000 for $10,000 of cool features on my car.

Cheaping out seems to be quite common on electric cars - Chevy Bolt, the Teslas (cheaply built, albeit with some expensive and high-performance parts), Kona, Niro, Leaf. The only premium EVs I've seen are the Jaguar I-Pace and the current e-Tron, which is too bulky and heavy for me. I would suspect these manufacturers are all marketing geniuses, maximizing profits thru cheapness, except none of these EVs sell very well. I think they're missing an opportunity. Sure, there's a big market for decent cheap cars, but offer premium EVs at higher prices and they'd make a lot more money.
Does not appear to be cheaping out to me. Batteries are still very expensive and if the manufacturers want to hit a price point that average people can afford they have to make savings elsewhere.

If you want a luxury EV buy a Taycan or etron GT. If that is too fancy/expensive wait for next year’s Audi models.

·
17 Posts

Some of this is why I will probably cancel my AWD reservation and go with the Q4 (assuming the release date is actually some time this year... hopefully find out on April 14th).
However, VW is far from the first company to do this. I own a Hyundai Kona EV. Hyundai also stripped the heat pump AND the roof rails from the US version while leaving it on the Canadian version (otherwise identical car). Kia did the same thing with the eNiro. At the end of the day, it hasn't worked out to be that big of a deal. Yes, in the winter the range decreases by 10-15% when you switch the heater on. But that only matters for long distance driving. And I think twice about driving long distances in it during winter because it doesn't have AWD. I've seen a range of numbers for the real benefit of a heat pump, especially when it is really cold.
Hyundai also refused to sell the car in any state where they weren't getting a kickback. So I had to drive to Maryland to buy it, and getting service around where I live was been iffy until a year after I bought it. Oh, and there have been 5 recalls on it so far (2 years of ownership).

·
48 Posts
I would suspect these manufacturers are all marketing geniuses, maximizing profits thru cheapness, except none of these EVs sell very well.
Have you looked at Tesla's sales numbers?! In my book, M3 and MY are selling quite well. Also, at what volumes an EV sells well (in a, for now, ICE-dominated market) is likely a matter of debate. Either way, thanks for sharing your strong opinions so vocally. I, too, am about to cancel my two FE reservations but do not feel the need to make a big fuss or attack VW headquarters about it. Best of luck with your EV selection!

·
325 Posts

This is just silly. And yes, it's marketing.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.