Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading some threads on ID.3 update issues at speak EV/ID.3, apparently they are at 2.0, expecting a 2.1 update. No idea how prevalent that site is, there surely are others, and maybe better ones too, probably some non-english.

Anyway, one interesting note is the varied experiences, that might be individual vehicle dependent. Probably some of that is what features a given driver uses or finds important (e.g. charge time of day controls). However, if I scanned the postings correctly, there seems to be a combination of delays getting into service centers (U.K.) for updates, as well as some concern that the dealers might be getting the update processes wrong, causing many of the problems. Or, there could be some variation in hardware vehicle to vehicle (seems less likely, but not impossible). Some vehicles (hopefully short term) no longer work, and they need loaners, or are left to their own to find transport. There is a recent U.K. posting like that here on our ID.3 forum. Of course, it usually those with the worst problems that end up posting (justifiably so), so it is entirely unclear what percentage of ID.3 owners are having serious problems.

They (ID.3) seem to be looking for OTA as a way to remove the dealers from the update loop.

I am not particularly concerned, just interesting.

·
170 Posts
Personal opinion: no EV will be successful if you have to queue it up for a dealership update. Given that these are essentially computers with wheels, OTA is the only way to go. I would be happy to run a WiFi AP into the garage if that is what it takes, but waiting for the dealership to do updates is a big turn off for me.

·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OTA does seem inevitable and important. From my Gen 1 Volt through several EVs, I always had to go to the dealer. Then, I had to specifically ask them to research an update, usually using service numbers from a forum posting. On the one hand, there was an argument that if there are no problems, don't do the update, but I think that approach is outdated now, as so many updates are either for improved performance (both traction system and features), or database updates, or probably for security as well. OTA does seem to be soon (if not now) a minimal EV requirement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts