Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
224 Posts
Well, I think that quote says it all [In Europe "... it appeals to the typical Golf buyer."]

It's of course considerably smaller than the Tesla 3. And far less expensive in Europe.

I don't think "better" is proven, as not a fair/comparable comparison to begin with, but again simply that the ID.3 is more popular for these and many other obvious reasons.

·
4 Posts
Well, my wife has an ID.3 and I have a Model 3. They are chalk and cheese IMHO:

ID.3 - Pros:

- Better basic automotive engineering and build quality. You can see this in terms of door fit, panel gaps, paint quality, cabin refinement, ride, delivery defects (ID.3 = 0, Tesla = 5), weld details on seams and edges of doors, weather protection in wheel arches and underneath, ... The list goes on and it's quite a long list. If I had to bet which car will survive the longest (excluding battery issues), I'd put my money on the ID.3.

- Cheaper. We got our ID.3 for just over £30k (family spec with a few options). Nearest Tesla would be a Model 3 SR+ at about £43k. That's a big difference.

- Size/Practicality. The hatchback form factor is better IMHO, and the interior use of space on the ID.3 is very good, despite it being a smaller car overall.

- Driving. The car drives very well. It's a nice place to be. ACC works well and makes highway driving easy.

ID.3 - Cons:

- Interior design features. Some interior design features are pretty poor - e.g. masses of cheap-feeling black shiny plastic, lack of soft-touch materials on dash top and door cards, nasty touch/tactile buttons on the steering wheel and central screen.

- Poor infotainment system. The features are fine, but the UI is woeful. It's still a bit buggy too. And no speakers in the rear doors on a car costing £30k+ - what were VW thinking of? OTOH, it's got CarPlay/Android Auto, which is very nice.

- Software quality. Well, it's getting better, but there are still some nasty bugs in there. Then there are missing features still (OTA updates being a big one). Worst aspect though is the mobile app which is both very feature-light, and also very unreliable in terms of it successfully performing actions on the car. The latter problem might be the back-end servers, the car's software, or the link to the car - but whatever it is it makes for a frustrating user experience.

Tesla Model 3 - Pros:

- Software/tech and infotainment. It has its glitches, but without doubt the tech and infotainment is superb - both in terms of sound quality and features (Spotify, Netflix etc). It's a standout feature of the car.

- Performance. I have the LR AWD. It's not the Performance variant, but it's still brutally fast. Amazing.

- Maturity as an EV. It shows that Tesla have been doing this for a little while now. Most things just work and they work well. The battery, BMS, and drivetrain are great. The vehicle is also very efficient. It's a very good EV in that sense. Software is good too - it's mostly stable and OTA updates come about every 2-3 weeks. An excellent delivery model for software changes IMHO.

- Superchargers. I wouldn't want to rely on the ID.3 for all our long-distance driving because the rapid charge network (in the UK) is still fragmented, unreliable, and incomplete. Tesla are really miles ahead of all the other EV brands in this respect. It'll improve for the other brands, but I think we're still 2-3 years away from having as good a charge infrastructure for long-distance driving as the Tesla.

Tesla Model 3 - Cons:

- Cabin refinement. It's a noisy car, esp at its price point. Main problem is road noise, but there is a lot of wind noise too unless you track down all the places where leakage can occur.

- Autopilot/cruise control. Despite Tesla being known for its fancy "self-driving" (which is massively over-hyped), the basic cruise control is almost unusable due to so-called "phantom braking" - basically where the car brakes (sometimes severely) for no apparent reason. It can be quite alarming at times.

- Build quality. It's a trope now, but it's also true - Tesla build quality isn't good. Panel gaps are variable, paint quality is just about good enough but no more, and there are several weak design aspects (e.g. underfloor protection panels falling off, poor weather protection on the underside of the car and around the arches, misted up lights, water ingress into boot area).

- Service Model and Customer Care. Tesla are trying to be different in having no regular dealers and handling service via regional Service Centres (SC). However, Tesla have got well behind the curve on effectively dealing with customer issues (of which there are too many given build quality issues) and the result is that as a customer you too often feel completely powerless to get anything done. And when you can get things scheduled, the SC model can result in long waiting times and overly-long trips to reach the nearest one. Despite their own set of issues, regular brands with their dealer network do offer a better customer service model. It'll be interesting whether the long-term costs of this can be sustained - maybe the Tesla model is the future?

It's a pity really that we can't have some hybrid car - something with the EV pedigree, software, and performance of the Tesla, but with the automotive engineering sorted by VW, and built in a VW factory. That would be the ideal!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
224 Posts
Went for a physical exam this morning and my Doctor, who's a fellow car enthusiast, lamented the poor fit & finish of his Tesla 3. He's now awaiting a BMW i3 but I may have also gotten him interested in the ID.4. We both think VW will do a better job then Tesla in this regard.

·
4 Posts
Went for a physical exam this morning and my Doctor, who's a fellow car enthusiast, lamented the poor fit & finish of his Tesla 3. He's now awaiting a BMW i3 but I may have also gotten him interested in the ID.4. We both think VW will do a better job then Tesla in this regard.
I watched a US-based review of the ID.4. Its pricing looks good - but it'll have to be given it's up against the Model Y and the Form Mach-E. I just hope they sort out the bugs and the infotainment usability since I can see a disaster looming if they don't.

·
242 Posts
I watched a US-based review of the ID.4. Its pricing looks good - but it'll have to be given it's up against the Model Y and the Form Mach-E. I just hope they sort out the bugs and the infotainment usability since I can see a disaster looming if they don't.
Remember VW is aiming the ID.4 at the RAV4 and CRV crowd, not the Tesla crowd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts