Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ID4 has just displayed an error warning for the 12-volt battery for the second time in one month.
It was previously "repaired" at the dealership a month ago and I believe they said it was a computer error but now it's happened again.

Anyone else having this problem?
What are you doing about it?
So frustrating!!!

Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,845 Posts
I'm going to guess it's failing and needs to be replaced.

Just curious – are you in a cold climate? And do you sometimes park for days at a time? Do you precondition your cabin frequently?

I'm just trying to see if there's a pattern to who's 12 volt fails early.

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to guess it's failing and needs to be replaced.

Just curious – are you in a cold climate? And do you sometimes park for days at a time? Do you precondition your cabin frequently?

I'm just trying to see if there's a pattern to who's 12 volt fails early.
I'm not in a cold climate but do park if for days at a time and I don't precondition the cabin. I didn't even know you could do that! :)

Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,845 Posts
My suspicion had been that letting the ID sit for days at a time between drives allows the 12 volt battery to run down to unhealthy levels before it's recharged by the high voltage system. The alternative – driving it daily – would maintain the 12 volt at a fairly high level, keeping it in the safe zone .

I figured cold temps exacerbates the problem. But I'm just across the bay from you, not unreasonably cold. Mine gets driven daily, however.

What I don't know is whether the 12 volt has any responsibility for high load heating, such as seat heaters or the steering wheel heat. I don't imagine it does under normal preconditioning, when the cabin heater or AC kicks in running off of the high voltage system.

VW has a new, more suitable battery for us that we should be called in for soon. Is suggest taking yours in and having it tested and replaced.

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My suspicion had been that letting the ID sit for days at a time between drives allows the 12 volt battery to run down to unhealthy levels before it's recharged by the high voltage system. The alternative – driving it daily – would maintain the 12 volt at a fairly high level, keeping it in the safe zone .

I figured cold temps exacerbates the problem. But I'm just across the bay from you, not unreasonably cold. Mine gets driven daily, however.

What I don't know is whether the 12 volt has any responsibility for high load heating, such as seat heaters or the steering wheel heat. I don't imagine it does under normal preconditioning, when the cabin heater or AC kicks in running off of the high voltage system.

VW has a new, more suitable battery for us that we should be called in for soon. Is suggest taking yours in and having it tested and replaced.
Taking it in next monday. Should I ask for the new battery?

2021 AWD Pro S on 2.1
3,280 Posts
VW has announced it is doing a recall of all the 12v batteries in EU, and they get a new 'technologically updated" battery. No word on what they are doing in the US about it, see:

9 Posts
I had the 12V battery warning and when I brought it to my dealer service center, they said they needed to replace a computer module. It's been three weeks now and last I heard they are still working with VW tech support to update the software.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts