Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
348 Posts
Looks like we might be on hands and knees manually "folding" it.

·
3 Posts
I'm not sure USA hitch will be the same as other markets. Like a lot of other things: HUD, matrix headlights, 3D tails, etc.

Screenshot from myVW owner's portal website:

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
348 Posts
In the video, it shows a ball and seemingly no option to open the receiver something like a bicycle carrier (which would probably be a more common use than trailer in the US).

·
17 Posts
Yes, and wondering if there is a 4 pin electrical connector. A receiver is what we need.

·
74 Posts
I just found this picture on my reservation page. Look close at the placement of the tow hitch
Wow. I just paid more attention to this now after my dealer confirmed that the hitch on the US model is in a fixed permanent position, and can't be tucked under the rear bumper like the European models.

If this render is accurate I find this really terrible, with no real attempt by VW to design the bumper for the US. It looks completely like an afterthought. I can't imagine a worse design. Again, if correct image, VW knows it looks horrible since all the 1st Edition review units up to this point have not included it.

·
227 Posts
I’m pretty sure someone mentioned that it can’t be hidden in US models. It’s there all of the time. I believe I saw it on this forum somewhere.

·
62 Posts
I’m pretty sure someone mentioned that it can’t be hidden in US models. It’s there all of the time. I believe I saw it on this forum somewhere.
Any reason for why it cannot being hidden in the US? I liked that feature in a German video review. It seems we are really getting the short stick (no heat pump, no 3D back lighting, HUD,...).

·
74 Posts
Any reason for why it cannot being hidden in the US? I liked that feature in a German video review. It seems we are really getting the short stick (no heat pump, no 3D back lighting, HUD,...).
I asked the same question to dealer and was told it was because US car was rated to higher towing weight...but I just looked up specs on German ID.4 and the weight tow rating is the same...RWD 1000 kg (2200 pounds).

The reason is likely more to do with apparent US standard to use square towing receiver and not ball. That's the reason for the change, but that still doesn't explain lack of ingenuity on VW part to create a more elegant solution.

Having towing capability is great, but for some people they would probably want to give up that wart of a receiver (again if photo render is correct) than to have it detract from the look of their car.

·
66 Posts
Simple answer: cost cutting! Just like with everything else, less features (even a small hitch motor) = more profit for VW.

·
48 Posts
Yes, but AWD will not be available til then. Also a lesser expensive version too that gets around 200 mi full charge. It will be around 35k. The model year will be 2022 but will be out probably 3rd quarter of next year?
The AWD model launches mid-2021 in the U.S. (though there are rumors it will actually be 2nd quarter 2021 for the U.S.). And as I understand it, the Chattanooga factory doesn’t come online ‘til the 2022 calendar year, not the model year.

Unless you live in a zone that gets snow & ice, AWD is highly over rated. I have a 17 MK7 Golf R with AWD and for 99% of my driving in the desert SW, I could be in a much cheaper FWD GTI. I welcome the clearance and visibility of the ID.4 though and, of course, no gasoline. I also have a 5Kw solar array on the roof so minimal expense for me.😁
AWD has a purpose other than snow or other inclement weather. The Golf R (or it’s R32 predecessors) would have a much harder time putting the power down had they only been FWD. The AWD also eliminates torque steer. It also helps balance the handling more. As for the ID.4, the AWD has a lot more power than the RWD, too, so there’s that.

·
227 Posts
The AWD model launches mid-2021 in the U.S. (though there are rumors it will actually be 2nd quarter 2021 for the U.S.). And as I understand it, the Chattanooga factory doesn’t come online ‘til the 2022 calendar year, not the model year.

I read somewhere the Tennessee plant is way ahead of schedule. They kept working construction during Covid. I expect plant to be up in less than 6 months. I read it on a site and if I can find the article I will send it.

AWD has a purpose other than snow or other inclement weather. The Golf R (or it’s R32 predecessors) would have a much harder time putting the power down had they only been FWD. The AWD also eliminates torque steer. It also helps balance the handling more. As for the ID.4, the AWD has a lot more power than the RWD, too, so there’s that.

·
227 Posts
I’m sorry, I found the article. It says pre production in mid 2021! The construction is on schedule and 70% complete.

·
348 Posts
Most of us won't be parking in a photography studio. The hitch will be much less pronounced anywhere else.

·
74 Posts
Most of us won't be parking in a photography studio. The hitch will be much less pronounced anywhere else.
Yes, hopefully it does look better than seen here. It's just disappointing since I wasn't expecting anything like this given demo units and the hidden design in the European models. The cars VW identifies and compares the ID.4 against have a cleaner rear design either because they don't provide the hitch or because it's been fully integrated like the Model Y. Again, given the brand new platform and EU design it's just very disappointing.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts