Volkswagen ID Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
22 Posts
Any reason for why it cannot being hidden in the US? I liked that feature in a German video review. It seems we are really getting the short stick (no heat pump, no 3D back lighting, HUD,...).
I agree, if all these are indeed missing, I'll be reconsidering my reservation. The heat pump and fixed hitch (looks like a gas tailpipe too) would be the final straw. At least if its not retractable they should hide it nicely or have a cover like most new cars do. My 6 yr old hyundai santa fe has a cover and it blends nicely with the car

·
74 Posts
If not needed, can the hitch just be unbolted?
Maybe, but it looks like a sizable hole in the bumper would still be visible. I still hope I'm terribly wrong here.
@emtonsti Your assessment was the right thinking. I went back and re-watched the video that @emrankazi originally shared showing the EU tuck under ball hitch. The bumper hole looks like it's the same as the bumper hole for US fixed receiver. If so, then unbolting would be a reasonable option if the look mattered more to an owner than the function. Such bolt is likely accessible from inside the trunk since it looks like it gets assembled from bottom...through hole, after bumper has already been installed.

vs.

·
48 Posts
VW’s been disappointing us for a long time not offering the sweet European hitches in the U.S. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that disappointment continues with the ID.4, unfortunately.

·
3 Posts
What are peoples' thoughts on the white interior accents of the 1st? I keep thinking it's a terrible idea, especially for the steering wheel. Isn't it going to get really dirty?

·
250 Posts
After my experience with black interiors when I lived in Phoenix, I prefer a lighter colored interior. But I think the white will get too dirty too fast to be practical, at least in my household. So it is a no go for me.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
339 Posts
What are peoples' thoughts on the white interior accents of the 1st? I keep thinking it's a terrible idea, especially for the steering wheel. Isn't it going to get really dirty?
I have a Dusk Blue Metallic 1st Edition reserved (will have black seating and grey dash with white accents). After seeing a Pro on tour, I prefer this option. While the black and brown interior was nicer than I expected, it just seemed to make the cabin too dark for me (I live in Seattle and will be moving up from a CC with black interior). Given the option, I would have selected black accents over white.

I will keep a cleaning kit in the car and wipe things down on occasional red light stops.

·
3 Posts
Thanks PGilly. Any thoughts on 19 vs 20 in tires? I read 19 in offer a more comfortable ride. Any difference in cost? My experience is limited to smaller tires.

·
250 Posts
Thanks PGilly. Any thoughts on 19 vs 20 in tires? I read 19 in offer a more comfortable ride. Any difference in cost? My experience is limited to smaller tires.
My experience, not only will the 19" give a smoother ride due to having more sidewall to flex. They will weigh a little less and give slightly better mileage. In general 19" tires will be cheaper than 20" tires.

·
107 Posts
20" will be more sporty and likely rougher. They are also typically more expensive to buy. 19" are more common and with more variety. I have been using 19" on Q5 and Touareg as well, primarily for cost reasons. 20" ones do look nicer, though :)

·
2004 Phaeton V8
45 Posts
Here is a very good explanation on the impact of larger tires on EV range. The numbers were run for a Telsa, but concept should be the same across the board. High level take away is that for each inch of larger tire you could see a ~4-5% decrease in range at highway speeds. That is a generalization, but probably pretty close

The 19's will give a better ride, but I like the looks of the 20's better.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
339 Posts
If you get less range with highway driving on 20's, could you then get more regen in city and hilly driving? My trips are typically grocery-getters with hilly terrain in my neck of the woods.

·
18 Posts
If you are planning on towing something, its also possible that the load rating of the two sizes may be different along with the aforementioned price and availability. I wonder if the demo cars have their tire size/pressure stickers and a picture could help sort that out.

·
250 Posts
If you get less range with highway driving on 20's, could you then get more regen in city and hilly driving? My trips are typically grocery-getters with hilly terrain in my neck of the woods.
Part of the problem with the 20's, they are heavier and the weight is further out. It boils down to physics and angular momentum. Larger diameter wheels will take more power to get them turning, don't think you will get it back in regen.

·
2004 Phaeton V8
45 Posts
If you are planning on towing something, its also possible that the load rating of the two sizes may be different along with the aforementioned price and availability. I wonder if the demo cars have their tire size/pressure stickers and a picture could help sort that out.
A picture of the tire pressure sticker from a European version would be a big help. In the US the TREAD act requires that all tire pressures be listed at max gross weight, so the number you see on a NA ID.4 will be for the vehicle at its max weight, all the time. Most of the time you are never near that. In Europe there are different tire pressures listed for different load conditions. On my Phaeton the US spec pressures are 39/45 psi, whereas the spec for two people and a suit case listed on European cars 39/36 psi. That is what I run at the the car drives much better than the NA listed pressures.

John

·
32 Posts
I just got the email for the second chance on the first edition. Currently have a Pro S reservation because I initially wanted AWD, but then changed my mind.

I'm thinking of switching to a FE, mostly because I can get it sooner, plus I think it is slightly less expensive. However, I'd much rather have the 19" wheels for range and comfort rather than the 20". I guess I can live with those for now.

Curious as to what time the FE reservation opens on the 7th? Midnight? Later?

41 - 60 of 71 Posts