Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
212 Posts
Curious that the garage door opener is a dealer-installed accessory. This has been a standard item in every car I have bought for the past 20 years. Rather than the VW part, I'll go for the $30 universal opener at the hardware store--just have to clip it on the visor. From experience: anyone else going this route be sure that the clip is metal. The plastic ones get brittle in sunlight and soon break off.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition arrived port-USA
374 Posts
Since I've had such poor luck linking Homelink with "rolling code" type garage door openers I've just clipped remotes to visors for many years.

I know there's a security concern to same (someone breaks into your car at say the airport and steals both your remote and registration then comes to loot your house) but I'm fine with it, especially these less traveled days.
Curious that the garage door opener is a dealer-installed accessory. This has been a standard item in every car I have bought for the past 20 years. Rather than the VW part, I'll go for the $30 universal opener at the hardware store--just have to clip it on the visor. From experience: anyone else going this route be sure that the clip is metal. The plastic ones get brittle in sunlight and soon break off.

·
6 Posts
I know there's a security concern to same (someone breaks into your car at say the airport and steals both your remote and registration then comes to loot your house) but I'm fine with it, especially these less traveled days.
Of course the security risk for Homelink is if you park your car outside some night, someone can break into your car and open the garage! With a visor remote, you can hide it or take it inside.

·
Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
82 Posts
To those points, I actually like using my phone to open the garage. It’s a reasonably secure device that you are not going to leave in the car. You can also add the the geofencing if you like.

·
VW ID.4 1st (originally Pro, changed to 1st in Jan).
131 Posts
Since I've had such poor luck linking Homelink with "rolling code" type garage door openers I've just clipped remotes to visors for many years.
It is funny - the first time I tried, it was a real pain in the neck. But there are essentially two aspects to learning. First is that HomeLink must learn what brand of system you have, and second, there needs to be a pairing between the car and the opener.

I had to replace our opener a year ago, and pairing HomeLink was surprisingly easy - the newer garage door openers seem to have improved ways of learning/pairing.

·
24 Posts
Of course the security risk for Homelink is if you park your car outside some night, someone can break into your car and open the garage! With a visor remote, you can hide it or take it inside.
On my 2020 Tiguan, Homelink is only active if the car is on.

·
VW e-Golf & ID.4 Pro
30 Posts
To those points, I actually like using my phone to open the garage. It’s a reasonably secure device that you are not going to leave in the car. You can also add the the geofencing if you like.
Another solution is Apple CarPlay. It also allows you to open your garage door from the in-dash screen. With geofencing, the link pops up on the screen when you are 300 yards away from home. Been using this for over 12 months on an e-Golf and it is brilliant!

·
131 Posts
Another solution is Apple CarPlay. It also allows you to open your garage door from the in-dash screen. With geofencing, the link pops up on the screen when you are 300 yards away from home. Been using this for over 12 months on an e-Golf and it is brilliant!
Doesn't that only work if you have an iPhone?

·
VW e-Golf & ID.4 Pro
30 Posts
Doesn't that only work if you have an iPhone?
Yes, and it also requires the garage door opener to be compatible with and set-up using Apple Homekit. I understand Android Auto has a similar solution, although I am not familiar with the platform

·
15 Posts
I use this as well and it is brilliant. In fact I am not going to order the Homelink mirror due to it being there. Part of my other worry about the mirror is that it will probably need to be installed at the dealership. With these being new I don’t really want them pulling the pillars apart to route the really long wire from it especially since their experience with the car is going to be low. Probably super neurotic of me, but using HomeKit allows me to save the 300 and apply to something else.

·
131 Posts
I use this as well and it is brilliant. In fact I am not going to order the Homelink mirror due to it being there. Part of my other worry about the mirror is that it will probably need to be installed at the dealership. With these being new I don’t really want them pulling the pillars apart to route the really long wire from it especially since their experience with the car is going to be low. Probably super neurotic of me, but using HomeKit allows me to save the 300 and apply to something else.
My guess is that the wiring is already present. For all I know, the stock mirror might already have some minor smarts in it (perhaps a compass heading).

·
15 Posts
My guess is that the wiring is already present. For all I know, the stock mirror might already have some minor smarts in it (perhaps a compass heading).
It is but if you check the item in the parts catalog there are a number of verrying length wires with connectors. One of them is long indicating that it may need to go down the pillar and behind the gauges.

·
1st Edition - Arriving in US
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
It is but if you check the item in the parts catalog there are a number of verrying length wires with connectors. One of them is long indicating that it may need to go down the pillar and behind the gauges.
Interestingly enough, it appears to be a shared part number with the 2018-2020 Jetta. Installation videos show the connection going down the pilar to behind the headlight switch on the dash (which must be removed for installation).

Reactions: majorgearhead

·
2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
128 Posts
Seems strange to me, I would think that all it would need would be power which is already there. The Homelink should be all contained in the mirror along with all of the dimming hardware. but maybe there is something goofy going on

·
1st Edition - Arriving in US
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
There is definitely power there already. Maybe the wiring in the kit is superfluous.

Reactions: majorgearhead

·
97 Posts
I assume you're getting it for the HomeLink buttons? A non-HomeLink auto-dimming rearview mirror is standard on all ID.4 models in the US.
Well bummer. How expensive is HomeLink that they didn't include it in the auto dimming mirrors they are putting in the US ID.4s? HomeLink is one of the missing features when I compare IS.4 to Mach-e.

·
2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
128 Posts
Well bummer. How expensive is HomeLink that they didn't include it in the auto dimming mirrors they are putting in the US ID.4s? HomeLink is one of the missing features when I compare IS.4 to Mach-e.
I think they are dropping homelink off of a lot of cars and providing the factory built/dealer sold option after the fact if someone wants it. But honestly it probably costs about $10 to build in. I am getting one as I do like homelink, and the borderless mirror is a cool bonus. And it looks like they dropped the price from the $325 it was listed at in the Retail Guide that came out last year.

Reactions: Huey52

·
2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
128 Posts
Came across this link to a possible 15% rebate if you buy accessories at the dealer thru March:

VW Accessory Rebate

it does say that items on the Monroney sticker are not eligible

21 - 40 of 50 Posts