Volkswagen ID Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
Well bummer. How expensive is HomeLink that they didn't include it in the auto dimming mirrors they are putting in the US ID.4s? HomeLink is one of the missing features when I compare IS.4 to Mach-e.
The cost with HomeLink is the licensing more than the production cost which is why many brands are starting to drop it from standard accessories (especially with many viable alternatives becoming popular).

Reactions: ted99

I have homelink in my BMW, after trying to get it to work on and off for the first year, I gave up. I don't really see any advantage of the homelink vs the clip on the visor remote... which has always worked for me.

VW ID.4 1st (originally Pro, changed to 1st in Jan).
I have homelink in my BMW, after trying to get it to work on and off for the first year, I gave up. I don't really see any advantage of the homelink vs the clip on the visor remote... which has always worked for me.
I had an opener where the clip just wouldn't stay on the visor without falling off. Or on another. it started to dig in and cut the plastic.

Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition arrived port-USA
I'm considering replacing my garage door openers this Spring for something better/quieter than the "contractor grade" existing and perhaps I'll then get out my ladder and re-attempt Homelink. ;)

If you don't mind, what opener brand/model did you go with, and is it relatively quiet? Thanks.

It is funny - the first time I tried, it was a real pain in the neck. But there are essentially two aspects to learning. First is that HomeLink must learn what brand of system you have, and second, there needs to be a pairing between the car and the opener.

I had to replace our opener a year ago, and pairing HomeLink was surprisingly easy - the newer garage door openers seem to have improved ways of learning/pairing.

VW ID.4 1st (originally Pro, changed to 1st in Jan).
If you want quiet. Go with belt drive, not chain.

Ours is a Chamberlain. Think I got it at Lowes.

ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
I'm considering replacing my garage door openers this Spring for something better/quieter than the "contractor grade" existing and perhaps I'll then get out my ladder and re-attempt Homelink. ;)

If you don't mind, what opener brand/model did you go with, and is it relatively quiet? Thanks.
If you replace the garage opener, I would recommend looking for one that works with Apple Carplay/Android Auto as well. I still prefer to use Homelink but it is a nice added backup to have.

Reactions: ted99 and Huey52

Dusk Blue FE
If you want quiet. Go with belt drive, not chain.

Ours is a Chamberlain. Think I got it at Lowes.
I agree: belt drives are the quietest. Our house has a bedroom above the garage and anywhere in the house, including that bedroom, you cannot hear or feel the door opening or closing.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts