Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In several recent reviews out of Europe, the tested cars had electronically controlled dampers (active suspensions). They got very high marks for ride quality. I do not see these available for U.S. models, or maybe I missed it somehow. Anyone know?

·
584 Posts
In several recent reviews out of Europe, the tested cars had electronically controlled dampers (active suspensions). They got very high marks for ride quality. I do not see these available for U.S. models, or maybe I missed it somehow. Anyone know?
I noticed that as well. I just checked the VW ID.4 "build and reserve" site and found no mention of the electronically controlled dampers. It would be a disappointment to not get this feature, especially in the higher priced vehicles.

·
584 Posts
I don't remember seeing a "MAX" edition listed as a configurable option.

·
78 Posts
1st Edition MAX is EU which a step above the 1st edition. It's a shame, US gets so many features left off our 1st Edition or Pro S. Heck, even Canadian Pro gets heat pump as standard especially when VW claims 20-30% range improvement with heat pumps.

·
136 Posts
The US models do not have active suspension. Only come w/ability to select riding modes: Comfort. Sport, Eco. When manually selected it does change steering and suspension response.

·
89 Posts
Unfortunately no. Active suspension/dampening is one of the myriad of features excluded from the US market ID4.

·
36 Posts
That is because they are not available for the US version. I was told this by a VW of America Engineer who works out of the Chattanooga, TN, location. He did confirm however that the suspension on the ID.4 is comfortable.

There is also a video of VW race car driver Tanner Foust drifting a rwd ID.4 around a race track with the same said suspension.

This means the suspension we will get is comfortable for everyday driving bad roads, but still good enough to take corners fast.

I had a 2017 GTI Sport with standard suspension and have a 2019 GTI SE with the DCC adaptive suspension. If you have a good paired suspension between the Shocks and the Springs you will have a comfortable ride over not so good roads and a tight ride for powering out of apexes.

With that said I normally drive my GTI with a custom set up with the DCC on Normal, the steering on sport and the exhaust note on sport. When I come to a terrible section of road with potholes and cracks everywhere I put in comfort, but there is too much up and down motion for me in comfort to keep it there so as soon as I’m past the stretch I switch it back to normal DCC. I put it in sport while driving through Big Sur or whenever I want to take curves fast and with the Sport DCC it seems I can make better time than when I had standard sport suspension on my 2017 GTI Sport. However Sport DCC is too stiff to leave it in so back to my custom mode with DCC normal as soon as I’m done pushing it.

When I sat in the ID.4 I noticed that the seats were very comfortable, much more comfortable than the seats in a Tesla 3, Tesla S or Chevrolet Bolt...

If Bilstein, H&R or KW comes out with coilovers specific for the AWD ID.4 I may get some. The ID.4 has a turning radius tighter than a Porsche 911 and GTI so with the right suspension it could be quite sporty. With Bilstein Coilovers you can dial in the preferred stiffness/comfort and adjust ride height. There is only about 2.5” of wheel gap on the ID.4. It seems you are really after comfort so you should be pleased with the stock US suspension.

We will have the Driving Mode selector to choose between Eco, Normal, Sport etc. just not the DCC adaptive suspension. The most comfortable suspension I ever had was not the DCC adaptive suspension on my GTI. It was the standard suspension on my Chattanooga built 2013 VW Passat.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
771 Posts
I have magnetic damper fluid suspension on my Audi TTS. I also rode in a 1990's DARPA HMMWV prototype, from whence the technology comes. As an engineer I always have been and am still very impressed with the technology. On the track in Sport-dynamic mode it really does fight hard to maintain road contact and thereby grip. However as a real world daily driver I don't find it practical as that rapid constant adjustment imparts a certain rigidity, even in "comfort" mode. It's akin to discussing a dual clutch vs. traditional slush box transmission in that the former is technically wondrous but imparts some abrupt shifts/lags around town. Sometimes the technology takes us places we don't really need to go for daily driver use and with it comes significant added cost. "Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should do a thing." I know I'll be fine with the more traditional stock US suspension. As I will be with the rear drum brakes. ;)

·
1st Edition
66 Posts
The US models do not have active suspension. Only come w/ability to select riding modes: Comfort. Sport, Eco. When manually selected it does change steering and suspension response.
And I did notice quite a difference in ride quality between Sport and Comfort...so what is being changed if we don’t have semi-active suspension?

·
12 Posts
And I did notice quite a difference in ride quality between Sport and Comfort...so what is being changed if we don’t have semi-active suspension?
That’s a question I’ve since I noticed, if memory serves me correctly, that under Custom there is a functioning selection for suspension, comfort or sport choices. I would expect that to be grayed out if there is nothing to actually change.

·
137 Posts
It seems it is common for auto companies to have different options in different countries. I got the top of the line Hyundai Ioniq and yet it did not come with heated steering wheel, yet in Europe and Canada it does!

·
12 Posts
I believe the ID.4 in the US has adjustable but not active dampers.
I haven’t been able to find anything in the US specs to indicate that though. Just the typical coil springs, telescopic dampers, anti roll bar, etc.

·
89 Posts
It seems it is common for auto companies to have different options in different countries. I got the top of the line Hyundai Ioniq and yet it did not come with heated steering wheel, yet in Europe and Canada it does!
Well VW is following Hyundai's lead and stripping premium features from their EVs only in the US!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts