Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to their Facebook post, the ID.4 will be on display at Herzog-Meier VW in Beaverton this Saturday. No hours are mentioned but I'll give them a call tomorrow. No mention of reservations or RSVPs.

·
24 Posts
According to their Facebook post, the ID.4 will be on display at Herzog-Meier VW in Beaverton this Saturday. No hours are mentioned but I'll give them a call tomorrow. No mention of reservations or RSVPs.
I was emailed about a reservation since that's the dealership my ID.4 will go through. All socially distanced 15 minute showings for individual customers.

·
255 Posts
Are you planning to go check it out? I would love to see more coverage here of what the ID.4 is like in the flesh.

I was emailed about a reservation since that's the dealership my ID.4 will go through. All socially distanced 15 minute showings for individual customers.
Where is your dealership located? Are going to check it out?

·
24 Posts
As noted in the original post, the VW dealership is in Beaverton, which is basically West Portland, OR.
I have an appointment to go take a look at the ID.4. I'll report back on the experience.

·
676 Posts
As noted in the original post, the VW dealership is in Beaverton, which is basically West Portland, OR.
I have an appointment to go take a look at the ID.4. I'll report back on the experience.
If you get a look under the hood. Could you check to see if the 12v battery will just lift out, or will a brace need to be removed to get it out? TIA

·
24 Posts
If you get a look under the hood. Could you check to see if the 12v battery will just lift out, or will a brace need to be removed to get it out? TIA
That's a very specific request. I'll see what I can do.
Just because I'm curious, why is that important? Showing my lack of car guy cred here by not knowing why that would be significant.

·
331 Posts
I'm curious about how all the buttons and plastics feel inside. If they feel like hard cheap plastic or softer materials.

·
676 Posts
That's a very specific request. I'll see what I can do.
Just because I'm curious, why is that important? Showing my lack of car guy cred here by not knowing why that would be significant.
From the poor pictures I have seen 'under the hood', it looks like a structural bracket needs to be removed to pull the 12v battery out. I would rather not be removing a structural bracket for any reason. It is not a deal breaker, but just something I am curious about.
I have found my cars have had more problems created rather than solved when I take them to the dealer, so I do most of the work on my cars myself, even brand new cars.

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called the dealer and, like Energynerd said, they require reservations but they're booked up. I was back to Plan A (driving to Kirkland on Monday) but got a call from University VW in Seattle that they had an open slot. Unfortunately, it's not til 4:40, but I took it anyway, in spite of meaning a drive back from Seattle in the dark. I really wanted an opportunity to sit inside the vehicle and try out the buttonless controls (which concern me). I gather that won't be possible at Kirkland, since they aren't doing appointments (at least that's what the person answering the phone indicated).

·
78 Posts
Was able to attend an ID.4 demo in Seattle this afternoon and took a picture of engine bay. You have to remove a structural brace to get to the 12V battery. Not something you can quickly swap out that battery without socket set.

·
676 Posts
Was able to attend an ID.4 demo in Seattle this afternoon and took a picture of engine bay. You have to remove a structural brace to get to the 12V battery. Not something you can quickly swap out that battery without socket set.
Thank you, I greatly appreciate the info/pic.
Hmmm, makes me wonder, the ID.3 doesn't seem to have that brace, what is different that the ID.4 needs it.

·
78 Posts
Thank you, I greatly appreciate the info/pic.
Hmmm, makes me wonder, the ID.3 doesn't seem to have that brace, what is different that the ID.4 needs it.
Wonder if it's to protect the heat pump as there seems to be extra space between the brace and front of ID.4 that was visible in the pre-prod demo unit.

·
ID.4 1st blue
122 Posts
Looks like you were able to see a blue version. What did you think of it in person? It's the color I ordered on the 1st Ed and in some pics I like it (looks darker) and in some it looks a bit too "bright" for my taste.

·
78 Posts
Looks like you were able to see a blue version. What did you think of it in person? It's the color I ordered on the 1st Ed and in some pics I like it (looks darker) and in some it looks a bit too "bright" for my taste.
We were surprised the blue color of the Pro S Statement looked great in person. Caveat, it was showcased under a covered carport enclosed glass area so not sure if it'll be a "lot" brighter under sunny skies say like in SoCal compared to mostly cloudy skies in PNW. We are still waiting for Scale Silver Metallic pictures from FE owners but blue is now included in our color discussions.

·
24 Posts
Went and took a look at the ID.4 on Saturday in Beaverton. I came away impressed but I wouldn't say it blew me away. It was a blue bird day, so the blue of the car really popped. The picture below is a fairly accurate representation of what it looked like in person. My understanding from talking to the sales rep is that he was very surprised at how bright it was in the sun because it looked much darker the night before when they were rolling it off the truck. Obviously, lighting matters for any car color but y'all get what he was saying.

Things that stood out from our quick 15 minutes with the ID.4:
  • It looks like a nice CUV. It's not a fancy supercar or a minimalist Tesla 3/Y. It's not trying to revolutionize your understanding of what a vehicle can be. It's an electric alternative to a CRV/RAV4 etc., just like VW has been pitching it in recent months. I like the overall feel when you're sitting in it. Not too clutter or too spartan.
  • The massive sunroof is really nice and the little swipe controller for it is fun. My three year old daughter will definitely break the controller by swiping it endlessly if we give her half a chance.
  • The single tap interior lights are fun and the exception to what I say below about the car's buttons.
  • The seats are comfy. The built in massagers for both front seats was a big hit for my wife, who has back issues, as was the fact that you can save two sets of seat settings since my wife and I are very different heights.
  • The space in the back seat is ample and seems like an area they prioritized maximizing. I'm not sure you could fit three car seats in the back, but the leg room is really good.
  • The trunk space isn't huge, smaller than what you'd expect on an ICE competitor, but it's still decent and it'll be just fine for anything other than big family road trips and camping, neither of which I was really planning on using the ID.4 for in the first place. My reservation is for a ID.4 FE with the trailer hitch, so that affords additional storage options as well. Likewise, folding down the back seats and utilizing the large middle of the car should allow for plenty of carrying capacity for around town errands without the entire family in tow.
  • The USB C outlets in the front and back seem like they'll be very handy.
The things I wasn't as wild about:
  • Someone had asked about the button feel. I would say it's probably the thing that I like the least about the car, which is saying something positive overall because button-tech isn't high on my list of concerns for car purchases. All the buttons are solid without any kind of haptic feedback to tell you that you've pushed a button. You just have to pull your finger away to see if the thing has lit up to know whether you've actually pressed something. With the exception of the buttons on the infotainment system, which are your standard smart screen, Apple home button glass types, it's all hard plastic. I realize that VW is just following a trend when it comes to buttons by making them static and touch sensitive but I prefer actual buttons. I'll get used to it but it'll take a little time.
  • The user interface for the infotainment system is fine but I don't think it's going to wow anyone. But I only spent a minute or two on it so I couldn't really say if there is untapped potential. The sales rep did say they were still making tweaks to that system and so what I was working with wasn't the final, polished version.
  • It sounds like the Beaverton VW is planning to have the $1,200 destination charge. Maybe a should have picked one of the VW dealerships located in a less fancy suburb of Portland if it turns out that charge is not universal to all dealerships.
  • The sales team is going to need some additional training, which I believe the rep even mentioned was going to happen in the coming months, because for now he was just working with the information on the sheet in front of him.

·
Proud FE owner
993 Posts
  • It sounds like the Beaverton VW is planning to have the $1,200 destination charge. Maybe a should have picked one of the VW dealerships located in a less fancy suburb of Portland if it turns out that charge is not universal to all dealerships.
All US dealers, save Alaska and Hawaii (where it may be more), must, by law, charge the same destination fee. It's 100% non-negotiable.

·
41 Posts
Was this an FE or a Pro S as the side mirror caps appear to be blue color (body color) as the FE is supposed to have black side mirror caps. What color was the dash and door inserts?
Thanks

·
24 Posts
Was this an FE or a Pro S as the side mirror caps appear to be blue color (body color) as the FE is supposed to have black side mirror caps. What color was the dash and door inserts?
Thanks
It was definitely not an FE as the dash and door inserts were brown and the rest of the interior was grey and black. No white steering wheel, no trailer hitch, etc.

I just read someone else's review and apparently the buttons on the steering wheel do have haptic feedback. Apparently, I hadn't thought to mess around with the cruise control buttons, etc., while sitting in a stationary car. So my knock on the door and dash buttons doesn't apply to the steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts