Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
2021 VW ID4 1st Edition
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@jongarusa I appreciated you coaching and cheering on your past self after the fact. Did you ever find out why the SOS button wasn't working? I would press it and call back to ask them just about that. I am planning a decently long trip next week (400+ miles each way) and I will press the button to test it first.
Its a $159 a year service, discounted for multiple years commitment. I am still not sure if the car comes with 30 days free or not. KKNowing what I know now, I am fine with EVnotify, my cell, and AAA

·
ID.4 FE GW
590 Posts
@jongarusa I appreciated you coaching and cheering on your past self after the fact. Did you ever find out why the SOS button wasn't working? I would press it and call back to ask them just about that. I am planning a decently long trip next week (400+ miles each way) and I will press the button to test it first.
Why would you expect it to work if you didn't pay for the 'Safe and Secure' service plan in Car-Net?

·
ID.4 FE GW
590 Posts
Its a $159 a year service, discounted for multiple years commitment. I am still not sure if the car comes with 30 days free or not. KKNowing what I know now, I am fine with EVnotify, my cell, and AAA
My SOS button did not work within the first 30 days, and there was no promise that it would on my Monroney sticker.

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
414 Posts
Oops, I conflated the S&S plan with the three paid plans that we did get free (remote access, plus nav, and plus speech). Carry on then.

Edit: It would be good to have this phone number handy for emergencies:

800-411-6688

·
2021 VW ID4 1st Edition
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Why would you expect it to work if you didn't pay for the 'Safe and Secure' service plan in Car-Net?
Good question. Firstly the documentation for the available services is less than perfect. Second, based on the experience of my BMW i3, that was part of the car. In my car, as I always do, I had puncture kit, first aid kit, tow rope and duct tape. I didnt 'test' the button.

·
359 Posts
Let me explain, as you may be aware I took my ID4 from San Jose to NYC and back recently. Day 1 was fine. On day 2, while departing Green River, UT en route to Grand Junction, CO our SOC and GOM reading dived from 70 to 24% in a small number of miles. VW did not shine its self in glory - the SOS team was worthless, and my dealer has still not returned my calls. That said, VW has now (several weeks later) escalated the issue, and the car will be going in for an evaluation. Everyone was safe, we made it, but you can learn about it, and more importantly, see the data (I love @EVnotify) here in the video. The full EP2 Roadtrip video will post at the weekend. Thank you to VW for getting involved, it is appreciated - oh, and I love this car so much it's weird.

I downloaded evnotify but it doesn’t have the ID.4 as one of the vehicles?

·
359 Posts
Let me explain, as you may be aware I took my ID4 from San Jose to NYC and back recently. Day 1 was fine. On day 2, while departing Green River, UT en route to Grand Junction, CO our SOC and GOM reading dived from 70 to 24% in a small number of miles. VW did not shine its self in glory - the SOS team was worthless, and my dealer has still not returned my calls. That said, VW has now (several weeks later) escalated the issue, and the car will be going in for an evaluation. Everyone was safe, we made it, but you can learn about it, and more importantly, see the data (I love @EVnotify) here in the video. The full EP2 Roadtrip video will post at the weekend. Thank you to VW for getting involved, it is appreciated - oh, and I love this car so much it's weird.

I looked downloaded the evnotify app. It doesn’t have the ID.4 as a car option?

·
40 Posts
Another app Car Scanner Elm Obd2 for iOS (and Android) has better support for ID3-ID4, and more sensors than EVNotify. To setup Car Scanner for ID3-4, you need to select the VW ID3-ID4 profile in Vehicle options menu. EV parameters are available under All sensors.

·
2021 1st
852 Posts
Will AAA pamper to our EV needs?
I believe VW roadside will bring a charge to you or a flatbed you to the nearest charging station?
You'll be much better off calling AAA if you have it. "VW Roadside" is a call center that will contract out to a local dispatch. In the past, response time has been as short as four hours and as long as three days--ignoring the time someone never showed up and I eventually towed the vehicle in myself.

Few other caveats regarding VW Roadside: they are only obligated to tow to the nearest dealership and the dealership can bill for whatever work needs to be done (owner or VW depending on warranty status). I ran out of charge in our eGolf a couple miles from home and they were going to tow me over 100 miles back to the nearest dealership. I successfully convinced VW Roadside to authorize the 3rd party tow service to bring me home for a charge but they didn't have to oblige. When my 12v battery died in my JSW they would only tow to the nearest dealer provided I agreed to pay for a new battery and installation fees.

I'm so sorry this happened. I don't get it, why are we having so much problem in U.S.
There are a confluence of issues: a new car, a corporate entity beholden to its domestic dealership network who doesn't know how to fix the new car and/or will actively sabotage the new car's adoption, and relatively low sales volume leading corporate to not prioritize US market share.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,559 Posts
I have my AAA card in one of the console card slots. It's on my phone of course but a good visual reminder of to whom I'll be first placing my call. And the card slot was just begging for a card. ;)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,241 Posts
And thats really the purpose of posting these videos - sharing the adventures, good and bad, its an educational experience. Moving forward, Ill be calling AAA before anything, just make sure to ask for a flat tow
Even AAA can lead to long multi-hour wait times for the truck to show up. It can also depend a lot on where you are when you need the tow truck.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts