Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
I think that's a given, Regardless of the type of vehicle you're driving don't break down anywhere near Green River Utah 馃槅
Even something as mundane as a flat tire could leave you stranded for hours. I now carry a tire plug kit in the back of the car along with an inflator. Much better than a can of glue.

Let me explain, as you may be aware I took my ID4 from San Jose to NYC and back recently. Day 1 was fine. On day 2, while departing Green River, UT en route to Grand Junction, CO our SOC and GOM reading dived from 70 to 24% in a small number of miles. VW did not shine its self in glory - the SOS team was worthless, and my dealer has still not returned my calls. That said, VW has now (several weeks later) escalated the issue, and the car will be going in for an evaluation. Everyone was safe, we made it, but you can learn about it, and more importantly, see the data (I love @EVnotify) here in the video. The full EP2 Roadtrip video will post at the weekend. Thank you to VW for getting involved, it is appreciated - oh, and I love this car so much it's weird.

Let me explain, as you may be aware I took my ID4 from San Jose to NYC and back recently. Day 1 was fine. On day 2, while departing Green River, UT en route to Grand Junction, CO our SOC and GOM reading dived from 70 to 24% in a small number of miles. VW did not shine its self in glory - the SOS team was worthless, and my dealer has still not returned my calls. That said, VW has now (several weeks later) escalated the issue, and the car will be going in for an evaluation. Everyone was safe, we made it, but you can learn about it, and more importantly, see the data (I love @EVnotify) here in the video. The full EP2 Roadtrip video will post at the weekend. Thank you to VW for getting involved, it is appreciated - oh, and I love this car so much it's weird.

I鈥檓 a new ID4 owner and definitely have noticed that I get nowhere near the 250 mile range, especially on the highway. Case in point, I drove roughly 50 miles, in regenerative breaking mode, no AC and 70 mph. The trip drained 100 miles off my range. Called my dealer and no return call. Will be addressing this on my 6 month 鈥渃heck in鈥 that they promised when I bought it.

I鈥檓 a new ID4 owner and definitely have noticed that I get nowhere near the 250 mile range, especially on the highway. Case in point, I drove roughly 50 miles, in regenerative breaking mode, no AC and 70 mph. The trip drained 100 miles off my range. Called my dealer and no return call. Will be addressing this on my 6 month 鈥渃heck in鈥 that they promised when I bought it.
You will find that there's nothing to address. Many people presume that the EPA tests vehicles the way that they drive them. They do not. Here is the highway drive cycle test for the EPA:

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Electric blue

Note that at no time during the test does the speed get above 62 MPH. Also regen has little impact when driving at a steady highway speed. BTW AC has a much smaller impact on range than heat, which consumes a lot more power.

The Guess-o-meter for remaining range dynamically adjust based on driving conditions. The initial value was likely generated based on recent city driving, Taking a 50 mile trip at highway speeds caused the adjustment of the expected range.

I get the sense that you feel that there's something off about your ID.4. I can assure you that it's operating normally. I'd also like to observe that if you are actually in a situation where the range is crucial, extending range is really simple. Just slow down. That alone will extend your range.

ga2500ev

Drop it down to 65mph stop using regenerative braking and let cruise control do the job for you.
And you will see more than 270+ miles if not using AC.
There is lot of things that affect efficiency....when did you last time check tire pressure.
And try to read more about EV ownership.
If ICE vehicles have GOM like EV you will be surprised how much available miles you have left in the fuel tank....

ID.4 FE GW
The force from aerodynamic drag is proportional to the square of your speed. Therefore going 70 mph takes 36% more energy than 60 mph for the same distance traveled (when drag is the dominant force).

Also, the ID.4's range estimate is nearly useless for determining how much energy is left in your battery. You need to look at the state of charge for that, not the guesstimate of remaining miles.

The force from aerodynamic drag is proportional to the square of your speed. Therefore going 70 mph takes 36% more energy than 60 mph for the same distance traveled (when drag is the dominant force).

Also, the ID.4's range estimate is nearly useless for determining how much energy is left in your battery. You need to look at the state of charge for that, not the guesstimate of remaining miles.
But then this will confuse even more EV owners...but i do agree with you on % vs GOM....ABRP is great tool for figuring out SOC at the next leg for charging ( still in alpha stage but add another 5-8% from what ABRP is suggesting) ....orange warning to charge on ID4 is at 22% SOC.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts