Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, wasn’t sure whether to create a thread for my question or not but after doing some searching on the forum I was not able to find my answers. So here it goes and before I start my apologies if this may sound like a dumb question so as i continue to wait for my car I am trying to educate myself the best I can regarding my new EV life eventually when my i meet my car “ hopefully that day isn’t to far away “ so anyway I have been wondering how this preconditioning stuff is so let’s say I am at work and I am about to finish my day can I set my car to cool off from my phone from inside my office so it’s not as hot inside the cabin? If I do this will it do it without actually unlocking the doors? Maybe I have this entire concept wrong incorrect but it would be cool to do this a few minutes before I drive home. Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated.

regards, Adrian

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
300 Posts
Hi guys, wasn’t sure whether to create a thread for my question or not but after doing some searching on the forum I was not able to find my answers. So here it goes and before I start my apologies if this may sound like a dumb question so as i continue to wait for my car I am trying to educate myself the best I can regarding my new EV life eventually when my i meet my car “ hopefully that day isn’t to far away “ so anyway I have been wondering how this preconditioning stuff is so let’s say I am at work and I am about to finish my day can I set my car to cool off from my phone from inside my office so it’s not as hot inside the cabin? If I do this will it do it without actually unlocking the doors? Maybe I have this entire concept wrong incorrect but it would be cool to do this a few minutes before I drive home. Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated.

regards, Adrian
Yes. One of the things I really appreciate. Set temperature and start ac or heat. Doors remain locked.

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. One of the things I really appreciate. Set temperature and start ac or heat. Doors remain locked.
Tj
Hi Neil, thanks for reply. Are you aware of any videos on this?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,747 Posts
As I've cited elsewhere, the myVW Car-Net cabin preconditioning was very unreliable for me .... until about a month ago. It is now very reliable and very much appreciated to pre-cool my ID.4 in our ongoing high heat/humidity.

Yes, ideal to do so from your home/office with the vehicle locked outside. Just be reminded that it takes some time for your request to be sent to the myVW server and then to be transmitted back down to the vehicle ultimately via its integral cellular system. This delay has also improved of late however. I typically send my request 10-15 minutes prior to departure.

I'm not aware of any specific video's, but then a search of YouTube may yield something. It's a pretty straightforward utilization of the smartphone App, which at the base 5-year subscription level has only a few features anyway so easy to find.

Thread now moved to myVW section.

... Are you aware of any videos on this?

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I've cited elsewhere, the myVW Car-Net cabin preconditioning was very unreliable for me .... until about a month ago. It is now very reliable and very much appreciated to pre-cool my ID.4 in our ongoing high heat/humidity.

Yes, ideal to do so from your home/office with the vehicle locked outside. Just be reminded that it takes some time for your request to be sent to the myVW server and then to be transmitted back down to the vehicle ultimately via its integral cellular system. This delay has also improved of late however. I typically send my request 10-15 minutes prior to departure.

I'm not aware of any specific video's, but then a search of YouTube may yield something. It's a pretty straightforward utilization of the smartphone App, which at the base 5-year subscription level has only a few features anyway so easy to find.

Thread now moved to myVW section.

So the doors stay locked right? I would do this from a 4th floor and my car would be on a parking lot and would not want it to open. If so great feature especially here in SFL when after a 9 hour shift the car can be really hot. Also can I set a timer like start time and end or it stops when I make it inside the car?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,747 Posts
Do you doubt @Neil and my prior input? Yes, doors remain locked. ;)

Being 4th floor or 20th has no bearing as the request is sent from your smartphone and as long as the phone has its own cellular or WiFi connectivity you're all set. Again the downside transmission is server-to-cellular integral vehicle system. This vehicle-integral cellular connectivity is also for Nav & App updates (which we have periodically received) and hopefully one day firmware OTA.

No, there is no current way to set a start time nor a duration for the pre-conditioning. Real-time activation with humanoid preplanning only. You'll just have to remember to do so (alas I've sometimes forgotten).

btw: I'm (we're) sure looking forward to your receipt of your ID.4 so you may move beyond the hypothetical. On the upside you will be the most prepared ID.4 recipient ever. ;)
So the doors stay locked right? I would do this from a 4th floor and my car would be on a parking lot and would not want it to open. If so great feature especially here in SFL when after a 9 hour shift the car can be really hot. Also can I set a timer like start time and end or it stops when I make it inside the car?

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you doubt @Neil and my prior input? Yes, doors remain locked. ;)

Being 4th floor or 20th has no bearing as the request is sent from your smartphone and as long as the phone has its own cellular or WiFi connectivity you're all set. Again the downside transmission is server-to-cellular integral vehicle system. This cellular connectivity is also for Nav & App updates and hopefully one day firmware OTA.

No, there is no current way to set a start time nor a duration for the pre-conditioning. Real-time activation with humanoid preplanning only. You'll just have to remember to do so (alas I've sometimes forgotten).

btw: I'm (we're) sure looking forward to your receipt of your ID.4 so you may move beyond the hypothetical. On the upside you will be the most prepared ID.4 recipient ever. ;)
lol Thanks @Huey52 I was just concerned about the doors wanted to make sure. Doing my research and trying to learn as much I as can. I appreciate you guys. Yea I can’t wait to get my car. Maybe a bday gift it’s on Oct 28 that would sure make it a memorable one. I am still thinking Oct/Dec timeframe for delivery hopefully some sign of life from VW soon. 🤞🏻

Reactions: Huey52

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
969 Posts
Dredging through my list of things that don't work, but might work soon if we ever get a software update: Isn't there scheduled activation for the A/C? Where you could set a time and a temp, and the system turns on for a while (30 min?) ?

I may be wrong, just thought I remembered that feature.

·
163 Posts
Dredging through my list of things that don't work, but might work soon if we ever get a software update: Isn't there scheduled activation for the A/C? Where you could set a time and a temp, and the system turns on for a while (30 min?) ?

I may be wrong, just thought I remembered that feature.
Yep. Look on the Home Screen for auxiliary climate control. It works on my 2021.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts