Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
243 Posts
Hi all,

just wanted to post this news since I haven't seen anything yet about it. Apparently, an ID.4 caught fire during a charging session in an underground parking garage in Germany and burned out. It will be interesting to see if we learn anything about this fire.

Elektro-SUV von VW setzt beim Laden Tiefgarage in Brand - FOCUS Online
Thanks, hope it's just some freak fire that occurred because the ID.4 had been in an accident or suffered road damage. I replaced a '17 Bolt EV with an ID.4 because of the Bolt's battery fire history (actually rare in '17 Bolts). The article mentions that if EV's are charged at home, like in a garage, then the insurance company should be notified as it may or may not increase insurance rates. That was news to me and so I'm wondering if I should make that call. Maybe insurance companies are more strict in Europe than in the USA -- don't have a clue on that. I've seen plenty of ICE vehicles on fire, especially after accidents.

·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, hope it's just some freak fire that occurred because the ID.4 had been in an accident or suffered road damage. I replaced a '17 Bolt EV with an ID.4 because of the Bolt's battery fire history (actually rare in '17 Bolts). The article mentions that if EV's are charged at home, like in a garage, then the insurance company should be notified as it may or may not increase insurance rates. That was news to me and so I'm wondering if I should make that call. Maybe insurance companies are more strict in Europe than in the USA -- don't have a clue on that. I've seen plenty of ICE vehicles on fire, especially after accidents.
I think the insurance advice is especially for Germany. Not sure about the US. That would be actually interesting to know.

With regards to your comment about ICE fires: that is also mentioned in the article. Insurances don't assume that EVs are catching fire more often, it's just that the fires take a bit more to get extinguished.

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
123 Posts
The parking spots on that row looks like all for EV charging (marked by the car and a plug symbol), so every spot should have access to charging somehow. We assume it was charging otherwise it should not be allowed to park there?

·
163 Posts
I see a melted level 2 but it is one parking place over. Wouldn’t they have backed in if they were charging?
Not necessarilly. Level 2 cables can be long enough to reach the back. It's usually only the fast DC that are extra bulky and short.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
946 Posts
The original article stated the ID4 was parked and charging, and other EVs were nearby. It also states the firefighters pushed it around for increased safety. So what you see in the photo is likely not what the firefighters encountered initially.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
393 Posts
If your homeowners is with the same company as your car insurance, they already know what they need to know.

·
Premium Member
Pro S RWD
26 Posts
Let's hope that VW takes a keen interest in determining the facts and details of this incident. Any similarity to this event and the events leading to the Bolt recalls would be very problematic for VW and for all of us who either currently own or are awaiting our ID4s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts