Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be good to collect our charging issues and their solutions in a focused thread. I think it would be most useful to discuss vexing problems that are difficult to isolate here, and ones that cause specific errors (like Charging fault: “Only Emergency charging”) in other dedicated threads).

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I'll start with my location-based charging issues that I've discussed elsewhere (see p. 4 of I regret I bought it). I'd like to thank @ericky and others who have helped me so far.

I have been unable to charge as intended using any of the 4 modes I know of when at my home location. Here is the status of my car and a description of the failures:

I set a charging station location in the Vehicle menu with a departure time set to 7:45 am each day, with no climate preconditioning. I then configured and selected a preferred charging time (12:05 am - 2:55 pm) corresponding to my low time-of-use electric rate. I prepared for charging like this on April 5:
  • Car was at 30% SOC, and the car was at the selected charging location.
  • I set immediate charging to 20% and scheduled charging to 80%
  • "Unlock AC cable automatically" was selected
  • I powered the car off (electric parking brake) and exited the car
  • Car was unlocked
  • I plugged in my EVSE which has charged several other cars flawlessly for 8 years

Case 1: Departure time + preferred charging time set as above:
The car did initiate a charge early the next morning (some time before 3am) but then stopped charging a little over an hour later. I inspected the EVSE and vehicle, and neither indicated any faults on their displays. I unplugged the EVSE, power cycled the car, and plugged the EVSE back in. The same thing happened: it started charging and stopped for no apparent reason after about an hour. I repeated the restart process, and eventually the car stopped charging at the scheduled 7:45 am departure time.

Case 2: Only departure time set:
I repeated the above process on April 14, but this time the car was at 40% SOC and I deselected the preferred charging time. Only the departure time was selected (unchanged from 7:45 am). The car did start charging sometime in the morning of April 15 until it stopped at the scheduled departure time of 7:45. That is the good news. The bad news is that it only charged to 69% SOC, not the specified 80%. I later downloaded the electric usage data from my utility (house has a smart meter), and I saw that the whole house was drawing only about 80% of the maximum power of the EVSE (i.e., ~19 vs 24 Amps of current) when the car was charging. The house drew the full power of the EVSE when I charged a different car with the same EVSE about 2 weeks earlier.

Case 3: Charge Now selected:
On April 15 I attempted to bypass the schedule and charge immediately by selecting "Charge now" on the car's "Goodbye" exist screen it displays when it is powered off. I exited the car and plugged in the EVSE. The green light came on and the car started charging, but it stopped about 1 minute later. I repeated this process with the same result, and this was confirmed by other ID.4 owners on vwidtalk.com.

Case 4: Charge immediately via Car-Net:
Car-Net shows the battery SOC and climate status. However, clicking "Start Charging" always gives a "Command Timeout" error - unable to communicate with the vehicle (10/10 tries; could be due to poor mobile network connection?)

Other owners in the vwidtalk.com forum replicated the exact same behavior in Cases 1 and 3 above. @ericy recorded his EVSE's power output and noted several short periods where the car stopped charging completely, and the car also did not draw the full available power from the EVSE then.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
165 Posts
You’ll probably find the solution to the problem I had interesting:

Reactions: TPG

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'll start with my location-based charging issues that I've discussed elsewhere (see p. 4 of I regret I bought it). I'd like to thank @ericky and others who have helped me so far.

I have been unable to charge as intended using any of the 4 modes I know of when at my home location. Here is the status of my car and a description of the failures:

I set a charging station location in the Vehicle menu with a departure time set to 7:45 am each day, with no climate preconditioning. I then configured and selected a preferred charging time (12:05 am - 2:55 pm) corresponding to my low time-of-use electric rate. I prepared for charging like this on April 5:
  • Car was at 30% SOC, and the car was at the selected charging location.
  • I set immediate charging to 20% and scheduled charging to 80%
  • "Unlock AC cable automatically" was selected
  • I powered the car off (electric parking brake) and exited the car
  • Car was unlocked
  • I plugged in my EVSE which has charged several other cars flawlessly for 8 years

Case 1: Departure time + preferred charging time set as above:
The car did initiate a charge early the next morning (some time before 3am) but then stopped charging a little over an hour later. I inspected the EVSE and vehicle, and neither indicated any faults on their displays. I unplugged the EVSE, power cycled the car, and plugged the EVSE back in. The same thing happened: it started charging and stopped for no apparent reason after about an hour. I repeated the restart process, and eventually the car stopped charging at the scheduled 7:45 am departure time.

Case 2: Only departure time set:
I repeated the above process on April 14, but this time the car was at 40% SOC and I deselected the preferred charging time. Only the departure time was selected (unchanged from 7:45 am). The car did start charging sometime in the morning of April 15 until it stopped at the scheduled departure time of 7:45. That is the good news. The bad news is that it only charged to 69% SOC, not the specified 80%. I later downloaded the electric usage data from my utility (house has a smart meter), and I saw that the whole house was drawing only about 80% of the maximum power of the EVSE (i.e., ~19 vs 24 Amps of current) when the car was charging. The house drew the full power of the EVSE when I charged a different car with the same EVSE about 2 weeks earlier.

Case 3: Charge Now selected:
On April 15 I attempted to bypass the schedule and charge immediately by selecting "Charge now" on the car's "Goodbye" exist screen it displays when it is powered off. I exited the car and plugged in the EVSE. The green light came on and the car started charging, but it stopped about 1 minute later. I repeated this process with the same result, and this was confirmed by other ID.4 owners on vwidtalk.com.

Case 4: Charge immediately via Car-Net:
Car-Net shows the battery SOC and climate status. However, clicking "Start Charging" always gives a "Command Timeout" error - unable to communicate with the vehicle (10/10 tries; could be due to poor mobile network connection?)

Other owners in the vwidtalk.com forum replicated the exact same behavior in Cases 1 and 3 above. @ericy recorded his EVSE's power output and noted several short periods where the car stopped charging completely, and the car also did not draw the full available power from the EVSE then.
I will now post some progress in getting this resolved. I sent the information in post #2 (quoted here) to VW Customer care, minus @ericy's user name. They opened a case and requested that I take the car to my dealer's service department. I did that today. Here is the dealer's word salad describing the problem that was found:

"(charging system malfunctioning) Caused by control module missing data faults store in all the control and have vkms adaption faults store in control module"

and they did:
"performed control module software configuration and tested charging system with departure setting charge recheck OK"

They did create a new location at the dealership to test the issues, and they were able to get the car to charge from 69% (starting SOC) to 78%. The car was set to stop at 80% SOC but it terminated at 78%, pretty close.

I drove it home and verified that it would charge for more than a few minutes if I set the desired SOC to 90% and chose "Charge now" from the Goodbye / exit menu.

TL;DR Summary:

- My car can now start charging after "Charge now" is selected on the Goodbye / exit screen (Case 3) after the dealer's service department reconfigured its software. You may want to look into that if you have the same problem.

I have not yet tested whether Case 1 and Case 2 function better now; I need to get the SOC lower to try that. Case #4 still fails reliably (Car-Net).

·
2 Posts
I will now post some progress in getting this resolved. I sent the information in post #2 (quoted here) to VW Customer care, minus @ericy's user name. They opened a case and requested that I take the car to my dealer's service department. I did that today. Here is the dealer's word salad describing the problem that was found:

"(charging system malfunctioning) Caused by control module missing data faults store in all the control and have vkms adaption faults store in control module"

and they did:
"performed control module software configuration and tested charging system with departure setting charge recheck OK"

They did create a new location at the dealership to test the issues, and they were able to get the car to charge from 69% (starting SOC) to 78%. The car was set to stop at 80% SOC but it terminated at 78%, pretty close.

I drove it home and verified that it would charge for more than a few minutes if I set the desired SOC to 90% and chose "Charge now" from the Goodbye / exit menu.

TL;DR Summary:

- My car can now start charging after "Charge now" is selected on the Goodbye / exit screen (Case 3) after the dealer's service department reconfigured its software. You may want to look into that if you have the same problem.

I have not yet tested whether Case 1 and Case 2 function better now; I need to get the SOC lower to try that. Case #4 still fails reliably (Car-Net).
Any update on case 1&2?

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any update on case 1&2?
I have had tried Case 2 three times and have gotten 3 different results, none of which achieved a full charge.

Case 2, Try A:
  • set for departure time only, power off, exit vehicle
  • Waited 2 hours to plug in the charge cord- was doing laundry on same circuit
Result: charge never started, no change in SOC at the next departure time

Case 2, Try B:
  • plugged in the charge cord immediately
Result: the car started charging immediately despite the location and departure time being set! This was reported by another user in another thread also

Case 2, Try C:
  • Car at 31% SOC, set for 80% SOC at departure time only, power off, exit vehicle
  • Car started charging early the next morning but stopped after a couple hours at only 53% SOC. No fault shown in car or on EVSE. Car had unlocked the charge cable, as if it thought the charge had finished.

Summary: No joy for delayed charging after software reconfiguration by dealer. This is consistent with the problems others have reported in this thread: Charging info (see posts #14, 15, 17).

Next I will try Case 2 again with another EVSE.

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
108 Posts
I have had tried Case 2 three times and have gotten 3 different results, none of which achieved a full charge.

Case 2, Try A:
  • Waited 2 hours to plug in the charge cord- was doing laundry on same circuit
Result: charge never started, no change in SOC at the next departure time

Case 2, Try B:
Result: the car started charging immediately despite the location and departure time being set! This was reported by another user in another thread also

Case 2, Try C:
  • Car at 31% SOC, set for 80% SOC at departure time only, power off, exit vehicle
  • Car started charging early the next morning but stopped after a couple hours at only 53% SOC. No fault shown in car or on EVSE. Car had unlocked the charge cable, as if it thought the charge had finished.

Summary: No joy for delayed charging after software reconfiguration by dealer. This is consistent with the problems others have reported in this thread: Charging info (see posts #14, 15, 17).

Next I will try Case 2 again with another EVSE.
For your Case 2, it sounds like the car is in Reduced AC Charging mode. You seem to be getting approximately half of the charge you would need to get to your desired charge at your desired time, and I believe Reduced AC Charging cuts the current in half. That would be consistent with your observation earlier that the whole house was drawing less current than the maximum 24A of your EVSE.

My only odd charging experience at home was the last time I charged. My car did not finish charging even though I'd left it plugged in overnight, and when I looked at the power used by my EVSE over that time I could see that it was only drawing half the power as my previous charges at home. I have never knowingly turned Reduced AC Charging on, but I don't know for certain that it was not turned on during that charge.

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For your Case 2, it sounds like the car is in Reduced AC Charging mode. You seem to be getting approximately half of the charge you would need to get to your desired charge at your desired time, and I believe Reduced AC Charging cuts the current in half. That would be consistent with your observation earlier that the whole house was drawing less current than the maximum 24A of your EVSE.

My only odd charging experience at home was the last time I charged. My car did not finish charging even though I'd left it plugged in overnight, and when I looked at the power used by my EVSE over that time I could see that it was only drawing half the power as my previous charges at home. I have never knowingly turned Reduced AC Charging on, but I don't know for certain that it was not turned on during that charge.
Thanks for your thoughts.
It sounds like your recent charging problem is similar to the ones I have been having.

I definitely did not have "Reduce AC charg. current" selected. That limits the current to 8A per the ID.4 Owners Manual.
Numerous other people have documented power fluctuations (down to zero) with a departure time set and "Reduce AC charg. current" not selected.

See the actual plot of power in post #73 in this thread:

You car, like mine and those of others, has this problem / failure.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
128 Posts
My FE has the same problems charging (stops short of goal, uses less current than expected, high variability in current during charging, etc.) ONLY when I'm using the in-car schedule.

When I set my charging schedule via my EVSE (ChargePoint Home Flex 40amp), it does NOT experience any of these problems - I get high current charging to 80% during my lowest rate TOD no matter what the SOC.

If I say "Charge Now", I get high current charging to 80%.

The caveat for this is that I must keep our key fobs away from the car during these times because either key fob being near the car causes something in the vehicle to click and act like it is interrupting some of the vehicle's thinking process (is it time to charge? do I charge now? kind of like that hyper cartoon dog that can't make up his mind about the cat or the food and slobbers over everything).

If we are in/out of the garage with either key fob after setting the schedule it is not unusual for me to come out in the AM with the charge port light solid red and no charging occurred during the night.

·
ID.4 Pro, Mythos Black
51 Posts
I don't have my car yet and never owned an EV. Are the charging glitches only when the car's software is set on a schedule? Do you have to set a schedule or can you just plug it into the wall and it charges like a smart phone would? Thanks

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
128 Posts
In my case, problems only with in-car schedule - you can treat it like a cell phone if you want.

Reactions: ozkayamur

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
732 Posts
In my case, problems only with in-car schedule - you can treat it like a cell phone if you want.
That sounds right. With no schedule and no preferred charging time, I can tell the car to charge to 80% and plug it in and it will charge quite reliably and stop at the correct spot.

Where we are, the electricity rates are the same at all hours, so there is no advantage to trying to configure it to charge in the middle of the night. I might plug it in late in the evening, so it happens to charge at night, but that's my choice. Although I suppose on a summer evening, charging at night means the car is less likely to need to run the AC compressor to keep the battery cool.

It is a lot easier to double-check if you have a smart EVSE (I have JuiceBox pro 40) - this lets me get graphs that show the actual power delivered to the car as a function of time.

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody for corroborating these issues.

My peak electric rate is $0.48 / kWh 4 pm - 9 pm and the off-peak rate is $0.17 / kWh (midnight - 3 pm), so I have definite incentive to charge off-peak. My previous 2 EVs could do this fine with 2 different dumb EVSEs, but alas my new (and improved?) ID.4 fails pretty badly.

·
ID.4 Pro, Mythos Black
51 Posts
Thanks for the explanation! I did not know rates change in other areas depending on hours. Now this makes sense why it is so important for your charge scheduling to work properly

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
My peak electric rate is $0.48 / kWh 4 pm - 9 pm and the off-peak rate is $0.17 / kWh (midnight - 3 pm), so I have definite incentive to charge off-peak. My previous 2 EVs could do this fine with 2 different dumb EVSEs, but alas my new (and improved?) ID.4 fails pretty badly.
Somehow I am reminded of people I used to know who couldn't figure out how to program a VCR - they would sit up until midnight and then plug it in so the clock would be correct. Such people would stay up to plug in the car at midnight.

If you just set preferred charging time window without a schedule, what happens?

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Somehow I am reminded of people I used to know who couldn't figure out how to program a VCR - they would sit up until midnight and then plug it in so the clock would be correct. Such people would stay up to plug in the car at midnight.

If you just set preferred charging time window without a schedule, what happens?
I have only set preferred charging + the departure time together, never the preferred charging time alone. Thanks for the incentive to check that out.

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the explanation! I did not know rates change in other areas depending on hours. Now this makes sense why it is so important for your charge scheduling to work properly
Switching to a Time Of Uuse plan also reduces load on utilities and reduces CO2 emission and other pollutants if that is important. My region (N California) has a fair bit of solar power, and that is one reason why the rates go up after 3pm.

·
ID.4 Pro, Mythos Black
51 Posts
Switching to a Time Of Uuse plan also reduces load on utilities and reduces CO2 emission and other pollutants if that is important. My region (N California) has a fair bit of solar power, and that is one reason why the rates go up after 3pm.
I understand, for sure it makes sense not to waste energy. I am in all nuclear and hydropower in southeast Tennessee so it makes sense why I just have a constant rate ~ 9 cents / kwh but it does change depending on the season

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I have only set preferred charging + the departure time together, never the preferred charging time alone. Thanks for the incentive to check that out.
I would check it myself, but my SOC is 80% right now, so there would be nothing to be learned by trying. Sometime next week I could run a test of my own.

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understand, for sure it makes sense not to waste energy. I am in all nuclear and hydropower in southeast Tennessee so it makes sense why I just have a constant rate ~ 9 cents / kwh but it does change depending on the season
Wow - $0.09 / kWh?? I guess that your utility doesn't have to pay $ billions in damages to homeowners whose houses burned down due to power lines coming down in high winds.

I think that my off-peak rate was as low as $0.06 / kWh when I first signed up for an EV TOU plan in 2013. About 3x higher now.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts