Volkswagen ID Forum banner

61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
335 Posts
I'm happy to hear that the EA DCFCs are good alternatives for some people while the delayed charging issue gets sorted out.

I bought my car instead of leasing, and I'd like to restrict DC fast charging to infrequent usage like road trips. I saw the battery in my last car degrade ~5% after about 10 DC fast charges at about 1C rate. That car did have a good thermal management system but older battery technology, and hopefully our ID.4s will do better. I also like the convenience of charging at home too - when it aligns with low power costs.
Your last car being the RAV-4 EV, right? Yeah, I would hope our ID.4s will hold up to fast charging better than that one did. I need to get my OBD dongle plugged in and start looking at stuff in EVnotify so I can start tracking things and see when degradation starts to occur, as I also bought my ID.4.

Also wasn't trying to discount the issues with scheduled charging, I actually didn't realize which thread this was when I commented before, oops! I may try setting up the scheduled charging and see if I have the issue as well, just to document it, which will be interesting since I can only do Level 1 charging at home.

·
365 Posts
fiehlsport said:
An EA station is being built near our home as well, so if I can't get my cheap nighttime charging working, I think I'll do the same!
I bought my FE and plan to use EV for the next 2 yrs and 10 mon. 4 miles very hard to beat it.

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Your last car being the RAV-4 EV, right? Yeah, I would hope our ID.4s will hold up to fast charging better than that one did. I need to get my OBD dongle plugged in and start looking at stuff in EVnotify so I can start tracking things and see when degradation starts to occur, as I also bought my ID.4.

Also wasn't trying to discount the issues with scheduled charging, I actually didn't realize which thread this was when I commented before, oops! I may try setting up the scheduled charging and see if I have the issue as well, just to document it, which will be interesting since I can only do Level 1 charging at home.
Only Level 1 at home? I'd definitely be checking out the free Electrify America fast charging too!

Please do see if delayed / departure time L1 charging works if you feel like it. I'd bet that most people doing L1 charging would want to charge immediately for as long as possible, but some may want to use the delayed feature.

·
8 Posts
Last night did another test. Deleted everything and started from scratch. Preferred charging set from 9pm-5am with departure time of 5am. Started at 23%. Was at 28% at 5am. This was the worst test yet. So unreliable. At this point I can’t use scheduled charging at all if I need to drive a longer distance. I email VW on Sunday and have not heard back.

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Last night did another test. Deleted everything and started from scratch. Preferred charging set from 9pm-5am with departure time of 5am. Started at 23%. Was at 28% at 5am. This was the worst test yet. So unreliable. At this point I can’t use scheduled charging at all if I need to drive a longer distance. I email VW on Sunday and have not heard back.
Thanks for doing another test. I have also seen very different results for the same initial parameters / settings, with the only thing in common is that the car never gets to the specified state of charge.

My car is now at my dealer's service shop for the 2nd time for this issue, and this time I was told that they are diagnosing it with Volkswagen of America. It looks like they are now trying the "Charge Now" option on the Goodbye screen when scheduled charging is set - Car-Net keeps telling me that charging has started, and it stops about 2 minutes later. Has happened about 5 times in the last hour. I will update the thread with any useful info I learn from the dealer or VWoA.

·
3 Posts
Sorry, have not read the entire thread but we are in the same situation as these most recent posts. Whenever we set preferred charging (ours is midnight - 6am) it does not complete the charge. It has not done so once. However, if I just start the charge manually it does charge to the specified 80%. Look forward to hearing what you learn.

·
White Pro S
83 Posts

Which dongle do you use, and is it android or ios? I need to get one but it seems like a total jungle out there for them.

·
399 Posts
Which dongle do you use, and is it android or ios? I need to get one but it seems like a total jungle out there for them.
I have been using this $23 dongle for the past 6 years and it works with every app and every car I have tried (probably why they have sold > 19000 of them.) Android or windows only since bluetooth classic is simple there. Torque pro is the best app, but nobody has created the profile yet for ID.4 (I will get it working and share the way to use it within a few days of getting my car.)
BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Code Reader Scanner Tool
iOS is a complete mess and I have not found a reliable one, see this thread where I explain why:
ODB2 reader / iOS app

Reactions: theboomr

·
White Pro S
83 Posts
I have been using this $23 dongle for the past 6 years and it works with every app and every car I have tried (probably why they have sold > 19000 of them.) Android or windows only since bluetooth classic is simple there. Torque pro is the best app, but nobody has created the profile yet for ID.4 (I will get it working and share the way to use it within a few days of getting my car.)
BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Code Reader Scanner Tool
iOS is a complete mess and I have not found a reliable one, see this thread where I explain why:
ODB2 reader / iOS app
This one is referenced on the EVnotify site for ios, have you tried it? It's BLE.

·
399 Posts
This one is referenced on the EVnotify site for ios, have you tried it? It's BLE.

I have not tried that one but recommend staying away from BLE since its so slow it can only show 1 guage at a slow update rate. (9kbps versus 2100kbps.) See my link above for explaining why. I typically display and create graphs for about 15 guages that update every 0.25 sec on my custom dash with my phone.
Edit: here is 1 of 2 pages of custom guages I created in Torque pro on my phone for my Jeep ecodiesel:

People who have had diesels know how valuable this info is, and many pay $300 for a unit that can display less info than this.Now its easy with Torque a $5 app that I will use to create my custom displays for ID.4 as well, and have been thinking about what I would want on it: a KW meter in that style, battery temp, data boxes with lots more stuff than EVnotify can show, and updating real time.

Reactions: TPG and theboomr

·
17 Posts
I tried scheduled charge also. It did not even start during preferred time. I deleted everything and doing it manually (at least that works reliably).

·
40 Posts
I found A work-around to this Charging Problem

I put a 20-lb weight in the driver's seat (with a pillow and a small square plywood to spread the load evenly),
this made the ID.4 "play nice" with the Charging Schedule settings. Car is off and keys not near the car.

I then tried it out, using a setting to have a 90% charge by 7 am. It works like a charm.

Hope this is some help until VW sends out a fix. 🤞🤞

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·

I put a 20-lb weight in the driver's seat (with a pillow and a small square plywood to spread the load evenly),
this made the ID.4 "play nice" with the Charging Schedule settings.

I then tried it out, using a setting to have a 90% charge by 7 am. It works like a charm.

Hope this is some help until VW sents out a fix. 🤞🤞 View attachment 3291 View attachment 3292 View attachment 3293
That's awesome - thanks for figuring that out and for posting it.
I assume that it worked with the car otherwise off - after you set the parking brake and exited?

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I have completed my own reporting of this issue to VW. To recap, I first reported it to [email protected]. They opened a case and had me take it to my dealer's service department twice, with the dealer communicating to VWoA the second time. Here is the status per the invoice from the dealer, as reported by the tech who worked on my car:
"Called techline and was advised that the issue is under investigation by engineering and no further repair attempts should be made... Will monitor ElsaPro for further update. Will notify customer when there is a solution to this issue."

My regional case manager called this morning and did not know when the fix would be done, whether it would be packaged with other improvements, or whether it would require a dealer visit or would be done OTA.

I also explained why this was a big deal as it could cost an extra $1000/yr in charging costs (12,000 mi per year using peak and off-peak PG&E EV2-A electricity rates).

Thanks to everybody for your help in chasing this down, reporting it, and finding a workaround!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
754 Posts

this made the ID.4 "play nice" with the Charging Schedule settings. Car is off and keys not near the car.

Hope this is some help until VW sends out a fix. 🤞🤞
And I just charged last night to 80%, or I would try it myself.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Dusk Blue
16 Posts
Just sent an email to VW. I tried charging through the preferred time settings last night between 12am to 6am. I was at 20% and when I got up at 6am it was 24%. My power still got drawn quite a bit though. When I got in the car and started the charge, it started charging normally. Pretty unfortunate that I can't use this feature just yet. :(

Reactions: TPG
61 - 80 of 128 Posts