Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
Yes, the bigger the wheel, the heavier they are, resulting into a loss of range. (Not just an EV thing, ICE vehicles too but nobody cares about their fuel efficiency.)

Yep. I would have chosen 19s or 18s if the 1st Edition had choices for wheel size. Once the ID.4 has been in production a little while, we should have data to compare and could always swap wheel sizes if there's a big difference. Aerodynamics of the wheels matters, too, so wheel design impacts efficiency as well.

The larger diameter wheels are heavier, they also have a higher value for their angular momentum which means it takes more energy to get them rotating.

I too, would have preferred to have 18" wheels over the 20" in my FE reservation. I'm trying to figure out if I can swap wheels/tires with a Tiguan owner when I get the car--assuming the bolt pattern/offset for the Tiguan is the same. Failing that, I'd be happy to swap tires with a non FE with 19's.

The ID3 reviews with 3 wheel sizes were not significantly different. VW said the same thing in car's unveiling, basically there won't be a big drop in range with 20 inch wheels. The only explanation is that they engineered the larger wheels better, so they are more or less the same weight. But who knows.

ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
Is it all weight? Could aerodynamics be involved? The 19" spoke design is very different from the 20" angles.
View attachment 835
That big blue bar across the 19" wheels doesn't look aerodynamic at all! I can see why it doesn't get better efficiency.

Here is one datapoint on the impact of different wheel sizes: 鈥淎lthough Tesla is more forthcoming than most automakers about providing range figures for the various wheel-and-tire combinations it offers鈥攊t is only required to report the most popular option鈥攊t does keep the occasional tidbit to itself. For example, based on the road-load data it has submitted to the EPA, opting for 21-inch wheels on a Model S Long Range Plus will cut the range by nearly 80 miles. You won't find that information on Tesla's website.鈥

Source: The Secret Adjustment Factor Tesla Uses to Get Its Big EPA Range Numbers

Sorry to bump this old topic, but figured my question kinda aligns; does anyone know what the weight of the OEM 19", 20" and 21" wheels? Been trying to find numbers on any of the OEM models to compare what would be good third party weights.

So has anyone actually tried lighter, smaller, aero wheels and tires? Any change in range/drivability? What about same F/R widths? Have my order in for AWD Pro S, coming from owning F-150 and Civic which are often modded (as I did with mine). I'm a little nervous that my fellow id4 owners will be too...central European? And ask "why would you modify "das auto." Lol.

Well, if you can find the weight of the tires I believe someone weighed the 20" wheel tires at 63 and 68 lbs with the wheels. I don't think the weight of the wheels is really going to give you range vs cost in the long run as you will probably be looking at a couple miles range vs a lot of cash for wheels of that size to carry that weight.

Well, if you can find the weight of the tires I believe someone weighed the 20" wheel tires at 63 and 68 lbs with the wheels. I don't think the weight of the wheels is really going to give you range vs cost in the long run as you will probably be looking at a couple miles range vs a lot of cash for wheels of that size to carry that weight.
Thanks for the response, I imagine the 19" being a couple lb less. Manufacturers post all the details of their tires luckily. The FE Bridgestone are about 30 lb each if you +1 aspect ratio (OE size specs not available). So the 20" wheels are close to 43 and 48lb. I live in Minnesota so having dedicated winter and summer sets of tires and wheels is worth the $$ so you don't end up dead and frozen ina ditch somewhere in the winter, or simply just be able to make it to work on time. Lol. Either way hope someone is willing to experiment a little with me. Or better yet for me. 馃檭

1 - 14 of 14 Posts