Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the VW ID4 First Edition, April 15 from Coachella Valley VW. It died on the way home from the dealer in my driveway. Had to be towed back to the dealer after driving it all of 15 minutes. It's been two weeks and so far, I just get calls from Customer Care thanking me for my patience. No idea what's wrong with the car. At this point I am registering a formal complaint on this forum. I am officially losing my patience. And I no longer want my car. As for as I'm concerned there's simply no reason why I shouldn't assume this wont happen again even after it's repaired. This makes my wife and I both very insecure about owning this vehicle. Unless anyone can offer me any alternative I feel I have no choice but to begin a lemon law case against VW. That's where I'm at today.

Proud FE owner
This is very disappointing. There's no good reason you should be on two weeks without a resolution. VW has regional field technicians that should be onsite, hands-on, working the problem (your dealer should be pretty much hands-off).

Go ahead and familiarize yourself with the stipulations of the Lemon Law by reviewing the pamphlet your dealer should have given you. As frustrating as it may be, you may be a ways off from meeting the standards.

If you haven't been doing this already, you should be calling daily to escalate. You have too much money tied up to be waiting. Email [email protected] and ask to get your message forwarded to Dustin Krause.

ID.4 FE GW
I bought the VW ID4 First Edition, April 15 from Coachella Valley VW. It died on the way home from the dealer in my driveway. Had to be towed back to the dealer after driving it all of 15 minutes. It's been two weeks and so far, I just get calls from Customer Care thanking me for my patience. No idea what's wrong with the car. At this point I am registering a formal complaint on this forum. I am officially losing my patience. And I no longer want my car. As for as I'm concerned there's simply no reason why I shouldn't assume this wont happen again even after it's repaired. This makes my wife and I both very insecure about owning this vehicle. Unless anyone can offer me any alternative I feel I have no choice but to begin a lemon law case against VW. That's where I'm at today.
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your new ID.4. I'd certainly want a detailed tech explanation of the problem if they do fix it, and I'd also want some $ compensation as well.

Do document your situation and look into the Lemon Law in your state (CA?). My state says that you have to give the car company a reasonable amount of time to fix the problem, and I have been told that is 30 days in California. Also look into how the case gets decided. Arbitration can stack the deck against the consumer, and you may want to get a lawyer.

I hope that your car gets fixed quickly, and I wish you luck in getting a refund if not.

Super Moderator
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully, they resolve it quickly and you have no other issues.

Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
Well that stinks. I had to Lemon Law a VW back in the day. Laws vary by state, but it ended up working out and VW bought back my car. That was in 2004.

Lemon law may apple here as others have said it varies by state, the only issue I forsee you possibly running into is if they can't fix this or you aren't comfortable with this ID4, VW may not have a FE to replace it or it may take some time for one to actually come in. Hopefully that's not the case and they're able to fix whatever might have been wrong with it. But just something to think of so you can kinda have a plan made out

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Dusk Blue FE
A few days after taking delivery, my ID.4 would not charge and I took it in to the dealer, where they kept it for a week. They were unable to duplicate the problem and, after fixing an unrelated minor issue, I got the car back. Between the uncertainty of the original problem coming back, and my aggravation with other behaviors that were mysterious and not explained in the manual, I started thinking "lemon law." But driving the car is like hugging a lover after a fight -- the car does most things so well that I start falling in love again, and I wonder how much of my frustration will be resolved by learning the car's quirks (oops, I mean features). And that is happening. I continue to find new minor aggravations, but I have resolved many more just by trial and error, discovering the obscure logic of the car's programming.

As others have said, lemon laws are an option, but they have very specific requirements that are hard to meet. If the lemon law does not work for you, I hope you can reconcile with the car.

Quite frankly you shouldn't even have to invoke the lemon law, this should just be a straight buyback from VW.

Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
Quite frankly you shouldn't even have to invoke the lemon law, this should just be a straight buyback from VW.
It鈥檚 been nearly 20 years since I went through the Lemon Law process with VW, but I can tell you that I invoked the Lemon Law because that was the way to ensure VW took action. They just wanted to keep fixing the car, which was admiral but also kept the car out of service for very long periods of time. I think in the first 3 months I had the car it spend something like 48 days at the dealer?? Again, details are super fuzzy but it was ridiculous.

Anyway, my point is that manufacturers don鈥檛 really have any incentive to buy back a car unless they鈥檙e required to. From their perspective, they just keep fixing it under warranty, and maybe convince a dealer to give you a long term loaner, maybe throw in some other low-hanging fruit as a peace offering. I know folks who have had to go the Lemon Law route with several other manufacturers for the same reason.

Oh and I鈥檒l add that VW didn鈥檛 buy back my lemon. Instead, they offered me a monetary settlement and that more than compensated for any financial losses, and then I immediately traded the car in for another VW (that incidentally ended up being one of my most favorite cars I鈥檝e ever owned). It鈥檚 a shame because they ultimately fixed the car and by the time settlement was done, the car didn鈥檛 have issues any longer. Oh well.

Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
My son just went through a buyback with VW on a '20 Jetta. There was a turbo problem that kept putting it in limp home mode....sometimes at speed on the interstate. After 3 solid shots to fix the car I think VW realized that it would be back again and started the buyback. He didn't have to pull the lemon law trigger because VW didn't want that stuck on the car's title, if they just bought it back they could take their time to fix it and then sell it again. The process went pretty smooth but very very slow to get the money back and then to get the loan off of his credit record. And they gave him a great deal on a new Passat so it worked out.

Two weeks and no attempts at fixing the problem is a long way from qualifying for your state's lemon law. I don't know who "Customer Care" is but if it's not the service manager at your dealership then you need to be bugging the service manager for answers and/or updates.

Reactions: Id4_tech

I have had serious problems with new cars before so I know what you are going through. Did the dealer give you a decent loaner or rental? Makes other than luxury brands didn't always do that in the past, so that's why I ask. I'm waiting for a Pro to arrive, but if there are many more cases like yours I'll decline it. I have a '17 Bolt EV with 85k on it and nothing has gone wrong, except now there is a safety recall on the battery and Chevy has been painfully slow to come up with a permanent solution. The car requires practically no maintenance. Chevy even e-mails me every month with an over-the-air systems check, including tire pressure in each tire.
I have been sort of assuming that EV's seldom have significant issues when new....

Proud FE owner
I have been sort of assuming that EV's seldom have significant issues when new....
From what we've seen of the ID.4, significant issues are very rare and Volkswagen has been very engaged in resolving them. I had an issue with the navigation system and I'm more confident in the car than I was before it. Volkswagen, and my dealership, did a fantastic job working through it.

Something catastrophic like @norman describes is the only one I've heard of so far (in this forum and ID.4 Facebook groups). Unfortunately, we have no more detail than what was put in the original post. We don't know if a Volkswagen tech has been onsite or if they could be awaiting parts from Germany.

I think there is enough honest opinion here (positive and constructive) to afford confidence in taking delivery of an ID.4.

I have had serious problems with new cars before so I know what you are going through. Did the dealer give you a decent loaner or rental? Makes other than luxury brands didn't always do that in the past, so that's why I ask. I'm waiting for a Pro to arrive, but if there are many more cases like yours I'll decline it. I have a '17 Bolt EV with 85k on it and nothing has gone wrong, except now there is a safety recall on the battery and Chevy has been painfully slow to come up with a permanent solution. The car requires practically no maintenance. Chevy even e-mails me every month with an over-the-air systems check, including tire pressure in each tire.
I too have had pretty serious issues with a new car, although that happened to be a 2019 Jetta. When the car only had 100 or so miles it went into limp mode on my way to work. It was fine after a restart, but then did it again shortly after. I drove it straight to the dealership, and thankfully a knowledgeable tech there was quickly able to track it down to a ground connection that wasn't tightened down. That said a year or so later we had an issue where the parking brake light came on and kept flashing - that took weeks to solve.

ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
There's a difference between a major mechanical problem and a lemon, though.

I was driving a brand new Volvo home from LA to the bay area and, over the Grapevine, the car went into limp mode (turtle icon popped up).

Turns out the turbo hose popped off. I was able to drive home, took a while to get resolved, but that one incident didn't make the car a lemon. A bitter experience yes, but not a lemon.

Over 5 years ownership that was the car's only problem, it was a rock solid performer.

Part of the problem is service training which apparently has been zero to none and from what I hear has been blamed on COVID. I went in the other day to ask a question about an error light and they had no idea on how to do anything inside the vehicle. I went last night to another agency to make an appointment and they scheduled me a week out, the service writer was real straight forward and said that they have not worked on any and have not had any training due to COVID. I bet your car is just sitting there and they have no idea what to do with it, I would write a formal complaint to the dealer and demand that it be repaired, replaced or refunded within a week and hand deliver or send certified to the General Manager, it would also not hurt to send a copy of it to the Vice President of Sales at Volkswagen North America. I would also call Customer Service at Volkswagen and ask whom at Cooperate you can talk to or just do what I have done which is look up their names, phone numbers and emails on the internet and start contacting all of them, you will be very surprised at the results you will receive from this.

Patrick Coyle
Vice President
2200 Ferdinand Porsche Dr.
Herndon, VA 20171
[email protected]

Duncan Movassaghi
Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Volkswagen of America, Inc
Herndon, VA 20171
[email protected]

Chief Executive
Scott Keogh
CEO and President of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. and head of Volkswagen brand in North America
Herndon, VA 20171
[email protected]

Phone Contacts
Main: (248) 754-5000 or (703) 364-7000
Customer Service: (800) 822-8987 or (800) 428-4034 Monday to Friday 8 a.m to 10 p.m EST
Toll Free: (800) DRIVE VW or (866) 573-1844

Above info as of July 2020 ... start sending emails, you can always call ask for the secretary/assistant to any of the above and tell them why you are calling, they will escalate the issue very quickly.

There's a difference between a major mechanical problem and a lemon, though.

I was driving a brand new Volvo home from LA to the bay area and, over the Grapevine, the car went into limp mode (turtle icon popped up).

Turns out the turbo hose popped off. I was able to drive home, took a while to get resolved, but that one incident didn't make the car a lemon. A bitter experience yes, but not a lemon.

Over 5 years ownership that was the car's only problem, it was a rock solid performer.
I don't disagree there. I should add, after those two issues the car was completely fine, not one more issue in the last couple of years (I can say that now, we turned that lease in!).

Part of the problem is service training which apparently has been zero to none and from what I hear has been blamed on COVID. I went in the other day to ask a question about an error light and they had no idea on how to do anything inside the vehicle. I went last night to another agency to make an appointment and they scheduled me a week out, the service writer was real straight forward and said that they have not worked on any and have not had any training due to COVID. I bet your car is just sitting there and they have no idea what to do with it, I would write a formal complaint to the dealer and demand that it be repaired, replaced or refunded within a week and hand deliver or send certified to the General Manager, it would also not hurt to send a copy of it to the Vice President of Sales at Volkswagen North America. I would also call Customer Service at Volkswagen and ask whom at Cooperate you can talk to or just do what I have done which is look up their names, phone numbers and emails on the internet and start contacting all of them, you will be very surprised at the results you will receive from this.
This is going to probably be pretty dealership specific. I know for a fact that at least one of the VW techs at my dealership has gone through proper training on the ID.4.

Did you see the fix was announced? Diagnostic software to identify suspect cells/modules.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts