Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
16 Posts
I believe the US market ID.4 has a battery made by SKI. The LG Chem batteries are for the European markets.

·
ID.4 Pro S RWD
203 Posts

·
ID.4 Pro since June 2021
253 Posts
I believe the Chevy Bolt and Hyundai Kona both used LG cells with chemistry 622. As mentioned before, there appears to be a manufacturing defect at the core of the Kona problems. Unclear on Chevy Bolt cell. Chevy has switched from 622 to 712 chemistry.

VW ID.4 uses LG pouch cells with 712 chemistry. So different cells, different chemistry than those discussed for "fires" : Volkswagen MEB details - 🔋PushEVs
It's good to know the ID.4 uses different batteries, because the Bolt fires just keep coming: GM asks Chevy Bolt EV owners not to charge overnight or park inside after 2 more fires

Before I settled on the ID.4, I shopped for a used Bolt but I just found them too expensive especially considering that nagging fire risk.

Wish the ID.3 were an option here.

·
626 Posts
The SK factory is in Commerce, Georgia, about 150 miles from VW Chattanooga.
My apologies when i was looking at Google it was not very far regarding the Huge Country like US.... I moved to US not very long ago so taking 1000+ km trips are not something we do.
But looking from logistics side that is 2.5 hours one way move for big Semis.

·
ID.4 Pro since June 2021
253 Posts
An interesting comparison of ICE vs BEV car fire rates in the link below. It starts out showing that ICE car fires are much more common overall, but by the time they filter out old ICE cars and restrict the results to parked cars, they start arriving at numbers that show parked 2019 Bolts are about an order of magnitude more likely to catch fire than a parked 2019 ICE car.

Again, the ID.4 is not using the same battery--that's a Bolt and Kona thing. Have there been any ID.x fires of any kind?

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
1,322 Posts
Isn't that's like saying the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 starts was representative of the likelihood of a cell phones exploding in your packet in general, rather than just an outlier? Or let's talk Ford's Pinto.

·
ID.4 Pro since June 2021
253 Posts
Isn't that's like saying the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 starts was representative of the likelihood of a cell phones exploding in your packet in general, rather than just an outlier? Or let's talk Ford's Pinto.
Agreed. My only takeaway is that given 11 fires for 68K parked 2017-19 Bolts you get something like a 0.02% probability of parked 2017-19 Bolt catching fire in its first couple of years of service. I'm quite content having an ID.4 parked in my garage instead.

Edit: fixed calculator error

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
12 Posts
I believe the Chevy Bolt and Hyundai Kona both used LG cells with chemistry 622. As mentioned before, there appears to be a manufacturing defect at the core of the Kona problems. Unclear on Chevy Bolt cell. Chevy has switched from 622 to 712 chemistry.

VW ID.4 uses LG pouch cells with 712 chemistry. So different cells, different chemistry than those discussed for "fires" : Volkswagen MEB details - 🔋PushEVs
Bad news from GM, they are expanding the recall to include 2019-2022 Bolts and Bolt EUVs. (GM expands Chevy Bolt EV recall for fire risk, will take $1 billion hit) So that includes the Bolts that have the newer chemistry... I know our ID.4 batteries were manufactured in a different LG factory (in Poland, I believe) but it sounds like GM/LG has found something wrong in their battery manufacturing that extends to current batteries. Should we be starting to get concerned about this? I just got rid of my Bolt in an attempt to get away from all this....

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Bad news from GM, they are expanding the recall to include 2019-2022 Bolts and Bolt EUVs. (GM expands Chevy Bolt EV recall for fire risk, will take $1 billion hit) So that includes the Bolts that have the newer chemistry... I know our ID.4 batteries were manufactured in a different LG factory (in Poland, I believe) but it sounds like GM/LG has found something wrong in their battery manufacturing that extends to current batteries. Should we be starting to get concerned about this? I just got rid of my Bolt in an attempt to get away from all this....
I would be. Reason why I made this thread. Everyone kept on saying the problem is fix and don't worry about it. Yet even after the problem has been "fix" it hasn't

·
486 Posts
If all the fires started with LG Chem batteries and all the manufacturing defects detected came from one LG Chem factory in Ochang, Korea and your LG Chem battery pack came from an LG plant in Poland, you could have a fair degree of confidence it was confined to other vehicles. Yesterday we learned that GM has identified torn anodes and folded separators in batteries manufactured in other LG plants. Now, you can begin to suspect the manufacturing process.

I would like to know that the manufacturing process for the battery I am driving has been free of the flaws identified in the battery fires. For now, I'll hold back on charge and discharge percentage to loosely follow the guidance from GM.

·
16 Posts
I'll be doing the same and follow GM's guidance. The news of the ID.3 fire is very concerning because from what I can find from various forums, ID.4's using LG batteries appear to use the same battery chemistry as 2020+ Bolts. If GM is now including those in their recall, and those batteries were produced at LG plants here in the states, it makes me think it's more likely ID.4's w/ LG batteries could be affected too.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,048 Posts
I'll be doing the same and follow GM's guidance. The news of the ID.3 fire is very concerning because from what I can find from various forums, ID.4's using LG batteries appear to use the same battery chemistry as 2020+ Bolts. If GM is now including those in their recall, and those batteries were produced at LG plants here in the states, it makes me think it's more likely ID.4's w/ LG batteries could be affected too.
The Bolt and Kona batteries were a few years older - supposedly the manufacturing defect for one plant in Asia was responsible, but everyone involved is doing CYA and not telling us very much. At this point, we don't know a lot about the ID.3 that went up.

·
486 Posts
The Bolt and Kona batteries were a few years older - supposedly the manufacturing defect for one plant in Asia was responsible
GM's investigation has identified torn anodes and folded separators in batteries manufactured in other LG plants. They have recalled 2022 models.

·
ID.4 AWD Pro S, Scale Silver
87 Posts
Consider that this flambé ID.3 was likely an early build and that the ID.3 was first on the market followed by the ID.4 6-12 months later. We're assuming it's the same pouch cells in the ID.4 but they also might not be (e.g. different factory/chemistry, etc.). Same for the onboard charger - may or may not be the same. Then there's the software - if this ID.3 was running old software it might have been charging with an obsolete charging curve. In short - lots we don't know so before we jump to conclusions let's wait for the official verdict from VW.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,048 Posts
Consider that this flambé ID.3 was likely an early build and that the ID.3 was first on the market followed by the ID.4 6-12 months later. We're assuming it's the same pouch cells in the ID.4 but they also might not be (e.g. different factory/chemistry, etc.). Same for the onboard charger - may or may not be the same. Then there's the software - if this ID.3 was running old software it might have been charging with an obsolete charging curve. In short - lots we don't know so before we jump to conclusions let's wait for the official verdict from VW.
I have seen speculation that different battery sizes might have different chemistries, but I haven't seen anything from VW that definitively states what they are using.

·
2021 VW iD4 1st Edition Glacier White
158 Posts
I have seen speculation that different battery sizes might have different chemistries, but I haven't seen anything from VW that definitively states what they are using.
The way that iD3 caught fire points to onboard charger more than the battery. Looks like fire started when she disconnected the charger.

·
626 Posts
I can assure you that battery cells are not from North America or LG Korea plant. And regarding difference between GM and VW is quite big.....on 12 modules pack there are 3 HV Battery module control modules.....so only 4 modules are controlled by one AX2 .
And cell design is nothing that you will find on Mach E or Bolt that are same thing...chemistry is completely different vs two mentioned.
And regarding ID3....there will be more news when investigation is done between NL officials and VW AG.
What GM and Hyundai is facing has nothing with VW. Every EV manufacturer has specified designs that LG has to follow for specific EV maker. And VW has for reason choosing LG factory in EU so they can have close oversight on production and quality inspections....and there is also German House of excellence that will take random battery pack and tear it apart in peaces...and do quality check inspections in details.
Battery cell maker only provides battery cell data for engineering team that will be based on battery design and cell chemistry...and there is close work between cell scientists....battery cell engineers and VW mechanical engineers ....then there are BMS engineers that provide information about BMS...all of them have to meet VW requirements.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts