Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ID.4 FE GW
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove an ID.4 at my dealer today, and I asked about how often the coolants for the high voltage systems need to be replace in the maintenance schedule. I received a dumb look in return, followed by a declaration that EVs do not have coolant systems!

I was sort of rudely surprised by the high cost of coolant replacements at either 4 year (Toyota RAV4 EV / Tesla) or 5 year (Chevy Volt) intervals in my current cars. They both have 2 high voltage coolant systems: 1 for the battery and 1 for the motor. The cost of the fluid replacement was about $550 for both systems in each car (Chevy Volt also has an ICE coolant that must also be replaced).

Does anybody know how many HV coolant systems are in the ID.4, the interval that VW specifies for coolant replacement in the maintenance schedule, and what the estimated cost is?

I'd like to know that before deciding to purchase the 1st Edition that I have on order and would appreciate any info.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
921 Posts
With my Kona, there was a special low-conductivity coolant that was expensive, had a relatively short shelf life, and could bot be diluted with water.

I assume VW does something I need similar. But coolant changes don't happen often.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
I don’t think my i3 had a service interval for the coolant, at least not that I recall.

·
ID.4 FE GW
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t think my i3 had a service interval for the coolant, at least not that I recall.
That is interesting. The coolant pH and conductivity change over time. You really don't want the coolant in a HV system to become too conductive.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
426 Posts
I test drove an ID.4 at my dealer today, and I asked about how often the coolants for the high voltage systems need to be replace in the maintenance schedule. I received a dumb look in return, followed by a declaration that EVs do not have coolant systems!

I was sort of rudely surprised by the high cost of coolant replacements at either 4 year (Toyota RAV4 EV / Tesla) or 5 year (Chevy Volt) intervals in my current cars. They both have 2 high voltage coolant systems: 1 for the battery and 1 for the motor. The cost of the fluid replacement was about $550 for both systems in each car (Chevy Volt also has an ICE coolant that must also be replaced).

Does anybody know how many HV coolant systems are in the ID.4, the interval that VW specifies for coolant replacement in the maintenance schedule, and what the estimated cost is?

I'd like to know that before deciding to purchase the 1st Edition that I have on order and would appreciate any info.
VW uses different colors to differentiate their coolant specifications. Looking at the UK manual that was posted a while back, it says to use the PURPLE coolant (pg. 315), which is the VW G13 right now. I don't believe they would make a special EV only coolant the same color as their standard specification, too much chance of a tech getting them mixed up. G12+ and G12++ are purple too, but G13 is the latest iteration.

The manual says 40% coolant and the rest distilled water. Always use distilled water. On Ebay right now genuine VW G13 is going for $32/gallon

Also if anyone has a chance to look under the hood, the coolant type should be printed on the overflow bottle. It's funny that in that UK manual they talk about adding coolant and how to do it for 3 or 4 pages but never mention which one to use

Not a 100% answer or proof, but I would bet that it is standard VW stuff

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
With the Kona, the EV coolant was blue. Which looks too much like windshield fluid, but that's what they went went with.

It will probably be on a sticker under the hood. People have posted pictures with the hood open -perhaps the stickers are legible in one of the picture.

·
217 Posts
Not sure about the coolant, but I would be disappointed if the VW dealers won't offer us a free oil change, just like my BMW dealer did after we got our i3 years ago 😂

·
Proud FE owner
994 Posts
This guy got an oil change reminder sticker so it must be true.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
187 Posts
Also if anyone has a chance to look under the hood, the coolant type should be printed on the overflow bottle.
Before I test drove the one at my local dealer, I took a picture of the coolant reservoir because I had the same question. The color looks like G13. I could not see the coolant type printed on the overflow bottle.

I took a closer picture of the reservoir.

Attachments

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
426 Posts
Before I test drove the one at my local dealer, I took a picture of the coolant reservoir because I had the same question. The color looks like G13. I could not see the coolant type printed on the overflow bottle.

I took a closer picture of the reservoir.
strange it is not printed there. But it does look like G13.

·
ID.4 FE GW
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand that you typically cannot drain and refill these reservoirs like coolant in old ICE car. There are a lot of drains to open at local low-points, and I understand that the coolant needs to be refilled with a vacuum system that will remove trapped air.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I understand that you typically cannot drain and refill these reservoirs like coolant in old ICE car. There are a lot of drains to open at local low-points, and I understand that the coolant needs to be refilled with a vacuum system that will remove trapped air.
With Hyundai, they had a special tool on their laptops to run the coolant pump to purge the air from the system. Possible that VW has something similar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts