Volkswagen ID Forum banner

ID.4 maintenance schedule / coolant replacement?

14K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  7S POWER 
#1 ·
I test drove an ID.4 at my dealer today, and I asked about how often the coolants for the high voltage systems need to be replace in the maintenance schedule. I received a dumb look in return, followed by a declaration that EVs do not have coolant systems!

I was sort of rudely surprised by the high cost of coolant replacements at either 4 year (Toyota RAV4 EV / Tesla) or 5 year (Chevy Volt) intervals in my current cars. They both have 2 high voltage coolant systems: 1 for the battery and 1 for the motor. The cost of the fluid replacement was about $550 for both systems in each car (Chevy Volt also has an ICE coolant that must also be replaced).

Does anybody know how many HV coolant systems are in the ID.4, the interval that VW specifies for coolant replacement in the maintenance schedule, and what the estimated cost is?

I'd like to know that before deciding to purchase the 1st Edition that I have on order and would appreciate any info.

#5 ·
VW uses different colors to differentiate their coolant specifications. Looking at the UK manual that was posted a while back, it says to use the PURPLE coolant (pg. 315), which is the VW G13 right now. I don't believe they would make a special EV only coolant the same color as their standard specification, too much chance of a tech getting them mixed up. G12+ and G12++ are purple too, but G13 is the latest iteration.

The manual says 40% coolant and the rest distilled water. Always use distilled water. On Ebay right now genuine VW G13 is going for $32/gallon

Also if anyone has a chance to look under the hood, the coolant type should be printed on the overflow bottle. It's funny that in that UK manual they talk about adding coolant and how to do it for 3 or 4 pages but never mention which one to use

Not a 100% answer or proof, but I would bet that it is standard VW stuff

#10 ·
Also if anyone has a chance to look under the hood, the coolant type should be printed on the overflow bottle.
Before I test drove the one at my local dealer, I took a picture of the coolant reservoir because I had the same question. The color looks like G13. I could not see the coolant type printed on the overflow bottle.

I took a closer picture of the reservoir.

Attachments

#6 ·
With the Kona, the EV coolant was blue. Which looks too much like windshield fluid, but that's what they went went with.

It will probably be on a sticker under the hood. People have posted pictures with the hood open -perhaps the stickers are legible in one of the picture.

#12 ·
I understand that you typically cannot drain and refill these reservoirs like coolant in old ICE car. There are a lot of drains to open at local low-points, and I understand that the coolant needs to be refilled with a vacuum system that will remove trapped air.

#16 ·
Timely as well, as I just went through all the documents posted in the pinned thread at the top of this forum from the NHTSA self-study program. The maintenance schedule that is posted there for US ID.4 implies that the cooling liquid is a lifetime liquid and it has not stated change interval, just an inspection one at every major service, which is every other service.

The only fluid that is called out for change is the brake fluid, which is pretty common for hydraulic brake systems since brake fluid tends to degrade both based on temperature and exposure to air/moisture.

Reactions: Huey52
#18 ·
Use DOT 4 brake fluid or equivalent
View attachment 27030
View attachment 27031
@fireboy92k likely figured out what was best for him in the now nearing two years since his posting. But then a flush isn’t needed until the 3rd annual service (MY2021 in 2024) with every two years thereafter, regardless of mileage. And the 3rd annual is arguably best done by the dealership to check the warranty block, even tho’ not legally required in the USA.

#20 ·
I only mentioned to @fireboy92k about the type of brake fluid, but I did not say anything about a brake fluid flush.
No but I did, to further the logic that not user necessary to acquire same. However point well taken to always use the manufacturer spec'd fluid. Especially given the ID.4's somewhat unique Continental system with a low volume accumulator.

btw: Recognizing that I've now been in my current home for 5-years (where did that time go?) I've been culling old coolant and brake fluid stock. Everything has a shelf life. So case in point not to acquire until needed.

#22 ·
It's time to take those expired coolants and fluids to the recycling depot.
Coolant is now very difficult to properly dispose of in many USA States. Autozone and the like will still take used oil but for a long time now not coolant.

My former town recycling center was listed by my state as an authorized hazardous product recycling depot but when I showed up alas a false listing. After much searching I finally found a compliant depot. But from that point on I stopped flushing/refilling coolant as just too logistically difficult. I just kept a small amount for periodic tank top-up.

Yes, it was time and now all accomplished. (y)

#26 · (Edited)
@carHW Attached is the service schedule for the 2021 ID.4 anyhow. The Standard Maintenance schedule (every 20k miles) has a 'Check frost protection and coolant level' check box. Fluid flushes are listed on page 2 in the 'Additional Maintenance Items' and coolant is not listed with a service interval out through the length of the service guide which is 120k miles.

EDIT: Unless of course you live in a cold environment and the coolant no longer meets freeze prevention.

Can you attach or link the maintenance schedule you found that shows this is a lifetime fill? Thanks!

Attachments

#27 ·
Interestingly enough, in doing a little poking around on the internet, I found a website that has the owners manual for the ID.4 but it also has the maintenance schedule WITH link to the associated VW service manual pages on how to do the procedure!

🥇 VW ID.4 Maintenance ➜ (id4manual.com)

Reactions: 7S POWER