Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
252 Posts
Compared with Mach-e, seems very confusing to me. ID.4 infotainment system is one of the things holding me back.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
921 Posts
Germanic marques tend to take an engineering mindset to menu structure, iow it makes sense to the designers but not so much the end user. My Audi and wife's Benz are similarly non-intuitive. Just one of the things I accept (and I'm an engineer; but admit I've been guilty of same in my younger designer years). :(

·
34 Posts
I like it, the dash and console was a big draw for me. Most of it seems like stuff you don't have to mess with on a daily basis but if you need it, its there. Unlike the Tesla where I feel like you have to drive the car and the screen, Tesla puts too much crap on theirs...

·
217 Posts
Germanic marques tend to take an engineering mindset to menu structure, iow it makes sense to the designers but not so much the end user. My Audi and wife's Benz are similarly non-intuitive. Just one of the things I accept (and I'm an engineer; but admit I've been guilty of same in my younger designer years). :(
I call that "mental masturbation for engineers" (I are one). We do things because we can, not because we should. I complained about this for the first years of the DC Metro's decision to introduce fare cards and reading machines that would compute fares on the basis of time of day and distance, rather than a simple card/token for one size fits all. The software finally caught up with the hardware after only a few years.

·
83 Posts
Eh, doesn't seem to be that bad. You won't be in a lot of those screens very often. Ive liked the infotainment in my last two VW's. People tend to make positive comments on it in my 2019 Tiguan SEL. If you don't like it, there's always CarPlay/AA. I use CarPlay on long drives anyway, for Waze and easier access to podcasts and playlists.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
921 Posts
Let's also keep in mind that it's common in a learning curve process to need/want a more intuitive but typically slower to navigate menu, whereas once experienced we typically want/can deal with one that is less intuitive but quicker to navigate (the latter the engineer's mindset).

Educator's feel free to, well, educate me on the official term for this learning behavior. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts