Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery yesterday. Could say "hey ID.4" to wake it up, and give the usual voice commands.
Today it wouldn't wake up so I pressed the steering wheel button - it came up - but doesn't hear any commands and shuts back off after a few seconds.
Bummer. Anyone else experience anything similar?
I really don't want to bring it in to service so soon :(

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
If this were a phone or tablet, I would say reboot it. Not just turn it off and back on, but do a true reboot. I have no idea if that's possible with the ID.4 software. Perhaps some IT savvy person here would know.

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the same thing. I'm an IT professional. I couldn't find a way to reboot it. Maybe someone here knows though.

·
197 Posts
I thought the same thing. I'm an IT professional. I couldn't find a way to reboot it. Maybe someone here knows though.
I am pretty sure I saw a reboot in a video of the German guy with his ID.3. Not sure what his channel is called.

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is literally just hold the power button in on the media screen til it shuts down. I'll let you guys know if it corrects the microphone issue.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
It is literally just hold the power button in on the media screen til it shuts down. I'll let you guys know if it corrects the microphone issue.
When you do this, does the infotainment screen turn off fully, like completely black and not illuminated? I don't do it that often but I appreciate when I know I'm at least able to fully turn off the screen if I want to reduce illumination in the cabin.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
935 Posts
Sometimes there is a tiny hole into which you can push a wire to reboot the infotainment system. The Kona had such a thing.

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you do this, does the infotainment screen turn off fully, like completely black and not illuminated? I don't do it that often but I appreciate when I know I'm at least able to fully turn off the screen if I want to reduce illumination in the cabin.
There are sliders to turn down the brightness on the display. I can check tomorrow and see how dim it gets if you'd like. I keep mine almost full bright.

·
14 Posts
Glad to hear the reboot did the trick. I'm thinking a reboot wouldn't necessarily clear a "hardware" problem, so maybe the microphone somehow just got into a "mute" setting, if that exists.
As in, mute the microphone so the car is not listening to what I say.
Maybe there is a screen setting that you accidentally activated, or there is some obscure button combo you could have pressed, like on the steering wheel that causes it to mute. Then the reboot essentially reset it back to the default setting of "on" again.....just a thought in case it happens again.
Alternately, if it keeps happening and you can't figure it out, there should be some setting in the system to "reset to factory defaults" without rebooting. You would lose all the custom settings you put in, but if going back to defaults clears the issue, then it sounds like it is in fact somehow getting muted, and you need to find out what is changing that setting.

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I crawled all the menus for any mic settings and came up empty. Saw reset to factory but didn't wanna do that. Shut off my android in case that pairing was somehow causing a problem. None of that worked. Probably just a software fault that a reset cleared.

·
1 Posts
Thanks, this helped me.

my problem, also on day 2, was not quite the same. voice command popped up and would not go away, couldn't navigate to most of the other parts of the infotainment system either.

let me add with sarcasm, I'm so happy my car is now controlled by a mediocre tablet OS. Tesla has dragged companies who knew how to make cars down to their level of people who can't design good software interfaces.

"have you tried turning it off and on again". :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts