Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all ID4 models (First Edition, Pro S and Pro) expected to charge at 80% for 250 mile range? My Pro gets around 230 miles on 80%. Thx

·
777 Posts
That's interesting because I saw 250mi @ 80% this morning. Do you know why that is?
That is because its a guess based on your recent driving. You must have been getting a good mi/kwh lately. It will change a lot as you drive more.

Reactions: BlueDH

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
157 Posts
There are two systems:
1) The "EPA" system used in the US. This rates Tesla BEVs to have ranges that no one can actually achieve in the real world and every other BEV with a range that ordinary users achieve much more than in the real world.
2) The WLTP (Worldwide harmonised Light vehicle Test Procedure) used by everyone else. This rates vehicles with range that is achievable in ideal real world conditions.

The 77kWh iD4 has a WLTP range of around 316 miles (depending on trim).

If you have a non-Tesla BEV you should expect significantly more miles on a charge than the EPA.

·
Waiting for a RWD Blue ProS w/ Light interior. Ordered Sept 4, 2021.
64 Posts
There are two systems:
1) The "EPA" system used in the US. This rates Tesla BEVs to have ranges that no one can actually achieve in the real world and every other BEV with a range that ordinary users achieve much more than in the real world.
2) The WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light vehicle Test Procedure) used by everyone else. This rates vehicles with range that is achievable in ideal real world conditions.

If you have a non-Tesla BEV you should expect significantly more miles on a charge than the EPA.
From what I have seen, WLTP is even more of a fantasy than the EPA rating. EPA is sorta-close except in winter, but WLTP is flat out bogus most of the time.

·
23 Posts
There are two systems:
2) The WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light vehicle Test Procedure) used by everyone else. This rates vehicles with range that is achievable in ideal real world conditions.

Why is Tesla different?

·
23 Posts
From what I have seen, WLTP is even more of a fantasy than the EPA rating. EPA is sorta-close except in winter, but WLTP is flat out bogus most of the time.
I'm very curious how much of a hit I'll get in the winter with an ID.4. I know it will depend a lot on how I use the car, so it's not something anyone can answer definitively, but does anyone have a guesstimate as to how many miles per charge might be lost in cold weather?

·
777 Posts
Why is Tesla different?
Because the EPA allows them to use a different test than everyone else, and that test produces higher numbers. And they allow self reporting of the numbers, the EPA does not do the tests.

·
798 Posts
I'm very curious how much of a hit I'll get in the winter with an ID.4. I know it will depend a lot on how I use the car, so it's not something anyone can answer definitively, but does anyone have a guesstimate as to how many miles per charge might be lost in cold weather?
Summer A/C is a big hit as I'm finding. It has cooled off here and I haven't been using the A/C for about 2 weeks.
After charging now, my gom reads about 15 to 20 miles more (235-240 at 80%), quite refreshing.

·
Blue ID.4 FE
31 Posts
At 3.7miles/kwh, I get 250 miles at 80%. If I go to 90%, I'm seeing 290 miles. I have yet to charge to 100%. Mixed driving 40% city/60% freeway driving.

·
70 Posts
I have seen estimates for EV winter range reduction to be anywhere from 20 to even 50%. I had a Kona EV prior to my ID.4 and it would generally drop from 280-ish to around 220 in very cold temps. That car was in a unheated attached garage with a charger. I'm guessing the ID.4 will AVERAGE about 25% reduction...so around 185 miles. Pre-heating may improve that. And of course the actual temperatures and weather conditions will be what determines your individual results. If you can keep the car on the included 120V charger it will help offset sitting in cold temps during the daytime hours, like when you're at work, etc, by keeping the battery warmed. That's my intent during days that I have to park in really cold temps.

·
30 Posts
I have seen estimates for EV winter range reduction to be anywhere from 20 to even 50%. I had a Kona EV prior to my ID.4 and it would generally drop from 280-ish to around 220 in very cold temps. That car was in a unheated attached garage with a charger. I'm guessing the ID.4 will AVERAGE about 25% reduction...so around 185 miles. Pre-heating may improve that. And of course the actual temperatures and weather conditions will be what determines your individual results. If you can keep the car on the included 120V charger it will help offset sitting in cold temps during the daytime hours, like when you're at work, etc, by keeping the battery warmed. That's my intent during days that I have to park in really cold temps.
Would this work with my level 2 charger if I can adjust how much power (amps) are delivered?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts