Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To my knowledge, while the ID.4 my VW app has a gps location, it seems to only show a blue dot which seems to be the GPS location of my cell and is not my car's location. Does anyone know how to see your car show up on app?

A service tech at the dealer had another VW car(non ID.4) and showed me his app and it showed both the car's location and his location.

I thought that this was planned for 3.0, but I fail to find any evidence at the moment. So 馃- let's hope, including the state of windows, if doors are locked eg. All basic functions missing at the moment :(

CarNet had this feature on my 2019 Golf - I could see where I parked the car, see whether I left it locked or unlocked, and even see if any windows were open. I could also do route planning by sending GPS locations to the car from the CarNet app. All of that was lost in translation to the MEB platform AFAIK ... even before the switch from CarNet to myVW the ID cars don't do any of those things. [Just FYI - I sad "had" because they sunset the 3G wireless in my Golf so they no longer sell subscriptions. Later this year they'll offer to sell me a new radio or something to bring it up to 4G. But I don't think it's worth the $$.]

I loved that my Bolt had this feature. Could see where it was when someone else was driving it. Supposedly the ID4 will have it for it's last parked location eventually but that doesn't help me as much as real time tracking would.

I've got this in MySubaru as well and it's very nice. Based on what I've seen on YouTube, when parked it will show it's location based on your cars software version - but not in motion.

One thing that may have an effect on this is that Germany has stricter privacy laws than the GDPR, and they're enforcing them harder than perhaps any country in EU.

Geo-tracking is heavily regulated and doing that includes all kinds of assessments, safeguards and disclosures. Those can't be avoided by simply the user agreeing.

VW is also processing that data, as they have the user information from the app, and the car connected to that user.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but they might be postponing or even omitting it because it is hard to implement in a compliant manner.

Now, having the location of the car when it's parked might be slightly different, as there's no-one on the driver's seat and it's not directly revealing the location of the user, only where the car was parked, as opposed to real-time tracking.

Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
Makes sense that this might come with 3.0. I'd expect that 2.x has unstable and/or missing APIs, and we know that the car has deep sleep issues in 2.x and won't properly communicate. One has to fully expect that 3.0 will introduce breaking changes and make certain things possible that didn't fit into the (rushed) 2.x release schedule.

2021 RWD Glacier White Pro S
I hope 3.0 comes with this feature. My 2019 $14k chevy spark has real time GPS location, sad that a $46k car does not.

In the mean time I'm going to try using an old phone with a pre-paid data only sim powered over obd2 and use google location tracking on it.

I hope 3.0 comes with this feature. In the mean time I'm going to get a hard wired GPS with a monthly subscription. My 2019 $14k chevy spark has real time GPS location, sad that a $46k car does not.
No review of 3.0, no user who's currently driving and ID.x with 3.0 - they've delivered those in Europe for +month now - and not VW has said anything about that, so I'm going to say no.

As for speculation why, see the discussion ITT.

I hope 3.0 comes with this feature. My 2019 $14k chevy spark has real time GPS location, sad that a $46k car does not.
So did my 2019 Golf! (Until the 3G sunset happened鈥 and I didn鈥檛 pay for the service anyway.)

To my knowledge, while the ID.4 my VW app has a gps location, it seems to only show a blue dot which seems to be the GPS location of my cell and is not my car's location. Does anyone know how to see your car show up on app?

A service tech at the dealer had another VW car(non ID.4) and showed me his app and it showed both the car's location and his location.
It is technically possible, but I doubt it's coming due to privacy restrictions. Not just Europe but also now the US (like you were parked at what clinic?)

They could also give access to camera data.

It is an issue, even if vehicle users agree that it's ok for others to know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts