Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought that new car smell was one of the nice things about getting a new car. However, in checking out an ID.4 at the dealer show room for the first time yesterday, I was sorely disappointed. Is anyone else turned off by the intense chemical like smell in the car? Is it the faux leather or just all the plastic? I wish I was exaggerating, because I have an ID.4 Pro on order, but I literally had a headache after sitting in the car for a few minutes and still had the smell on me as I drove home. Will this smell go away?

Proud FE owner
When I drove the demo, I didn't sense a chemical smell. But I did smell a Volkswagen! IYKYK

Blue ID.4 1st Edition
This is actually a pretty important question for me, and I forgot to think about it when I had a chance to take one on a test drive. Of course, the demo car has probably been on the road for a while now. Could anyone who has taken delivery of theirs comment on the smell? The issue for me is that my son really hates that smell, and gets carsick easily. Can the Air Care setting help remove any smells like that in the cabin?

ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
I test drove mine today. No new car smell. btw, our 2019 e-Golf also did not come with new car smell. You can buy it by the can at autozone though. if you must have the musk.

I test drove a demo unit today that was just received by the dealer last week. I surprisingly noted a lack of any smell.

Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
I just test drove today, I didn't smell anything.

Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. I'll have to ask the dealer, maybe they used some type of cleaner or protectant which is what I was smelling, and not the car itself. I'm actually glad to hear so many of you say that you didn't notice anything, makes me feel a bit better. Thanks for the responses!

Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is actually a pretty important question for me, and I forgot to think about it when I had a chance to take one on a test drive. Of course, the demo car has probably been on the road for a while now. Could anyone who has taken delivery of theirs comment on the smell? The issue for me is that my son really hates that smell, and gets carsick easily. Can the Air Care setting help remove any smells like that in the cabin?
If you were in the one that I was in, you wouldn't have had to think about it. It would have hit you over the head.

Maybe covid disinfectant?
That was what I was thinking. My test drive is tomorrow, I will see if I notice anything.

I always thought that new car smell was one of the nice things about getting a new car. However, in checking out an ID.4 at the dealer show room for the first time yesterday, I was sorely disappointed. Is anyone else turned off by the intense chemical like smell in the car? Is it the faux leather or just all the plastic? I wish I was exaggerating, because I have an ID.4 Pro on order, but I literally had a headache after sitting in the car for a few minutes and still had the smell on me as I drove home. Will this smell go away?
We test drove one, no chemical Smell at all

No smell of any kind in the car I drove today. I agree, it's likely due to being sanitized after every drive.

No smell of any kind in the car I drove today. I agree, it's likely due to being sanitized after every drive.
I was also put off by the new car smell. And I don鈥檛 think it was just sanitizer. Cars were parked in the sun at the event which likely exacerbated the off-gassing. May well dissuade me from buying this car fresh off the ship...

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
It must be the Covid sanitizing that many are [unpleasantly] smelling. I saw mine just after the wraps came off and there was mostly the typical [glue outgassing] new car smell which is rather nice. I say mostly as VW is in this new model using more environmentally sensitive materials and therefore a bit different than historical new car smells.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts