Volkswagen ID Forum banner
2101 - 2120 of 3000 Posts

·
242 Posts
Mine just changed to 20-2 (1:30 pm Pacific, 1-7)
Left factory 12/16

so seems likely to be on SFL Conductor, which I believe is going to Houston after Davisville (and Baltimore?).
NW corner of Washington State.
So perhaps end of Feb Or first part of March?

·
35 Posts
Mine went to 20-2 either late last night or sometime today. Coincidentally, the SFL Conductor left the port of Emden yesterday 22:51 UTC and is due to arrive in Davisville, RI on 1/16/22. My dealer thinks my car may be on that vessel but he is not sure yet. When does the dealer get solid information that a customer's car is on a vessel? Thanks

·
242 Posts
I never really thought much about how cars are moved on ships now. I still had visions of loading with cranes like the old days…
I don’t know how this compares now to many of the Vehicle transport ships- I think they said it was the largest (at time of video).
But pretty facinating to think about how to load/unload all those cars/trucks!

·
139 Posts
Same as in 20-1, or same as in east coast and 20-1? I thought you mentioned being in Michigan. Will your car come through an east coast port or Houston? I was thinking your car would also have to pass through the Houston port before getting on a train and heading north. I am not an expert on the logistics, but thought I had read here that most Midwest deliveries will pass through Houston. Perhaps Michigan is far enough east to not go through Houston. Someone please correct me if I have this wrong.

Lets hope that those of us with late 2021 models are actually on ships, but our codes have just not updated. I have heard others indicate that is has taken up to 10-15 days to switch.
Hey. I’ll be a Houston port delivery - I’m in Minnesota. I’m at 20-1 and I think we were similarly timed for production. I went 20-1 on 12/15 or 12/16. I’m hopeful that there’s simply a delay in marking status for downline ports, as some have speculated.

I contacted my salesperson to check on progress today, and they’re still saying to expect March delivery. They’re always cagey with hard details. So, unless my car is in fact already en-route, I have very low confidence for March delivery given the multimodal gong show that’s involved in Midwest deliveries.

With that said, I’m unsure how long into 2022 my tolerance for accepting a MY2021 will persist. If I were receiving a 2022 vehicle, waiting until summer wouldn’t particularly bother me. March is fine, but much beyond that it’s getting questionable.

·
2021 ID4 Pro S/Gradient Mythos Black
67 Posts
Hey. I’ll be a Houston port delivery - I’m in Minnesota. I’m at 20-1 and I think we were similarly timed for production. I went 20-1 on 12/15 or 12/16. I’m hopeful that there’s simply a delay in marking status for downline ports, as some have speculated.

I contacted my salesperson to check on progress today, and they’re still saying to expect March delivery. They’re always cagey with hard details. So, unless my car is in fact already en-route, I have very low confidence for March delivery given the multimodal gong show that’s involved in Midwest deliveries.

With that said, I’m unsure how long into 2022 my tolerance for accepting a MY2021 will persist. If I were receiving a 2022 vehicle, waiting until summer wouldn’t particularly bother me. March is fine, but much beyond that it’s getting questionable.
On the brightside, on a 2022 you only get 30 mins at a time free charging at EA, while 2022 is still unlimited

·
34 Posts

I know what you mean. It wasn't so bad when mine rolled off the line on 9/30/21 that I would get a MY21, but now that we are firmly in 2022 and this shipping disaster that VW has accepted, and I am over 100 days out since the friggin car was completed, I too am pissed about accepting a 21 deep into the model year 22. It sucks. And to boot, I don't have said car yet. It's ridiculous how lousy VW logistics is, and the guy or gal running it is probably pulling down 500k to a million a year.

I have said it here many times...VW has set back the logistics universe by 40 to 50 years. The idea that you can't track a car all the way from Germany and not know exactly where it is is ludicrous. I can track underwear I ordered on Amazon but not a 50k car? Give me a break. The car better be outstanding because I am beyond aggravated at this point as the car supposedly sitting in a yard in Chicago, STILL awaiting a truck to Wisconsin (been that way since 12/24). And don't get me started on the clueless dealer network. They are of no help at all. I really wish at this point I would have accepted the 18k (price difference and tax difference) penalty and just bought the Tesla.

At this point, VW has proven to be so inept at delivering the vehicle that I doubt I will keep the car. How can I trust that a company so inept at logistics (the easiest part of being a car company) is going to prove adept at something complicated like delivering OTA updates? Or actually building a real competitor to Tesla?

Disappointed in Wisconsin!

·
139 Posts
On the brightside, on a 2022 you only get 30 mins at a time free charging at EA, while 2022 is still unlimited
Yeah, there’s that. My nearest EA charger is 27 miles from my home on the way to nowhere. While a big plus for some, I’m thinking I might get $200 in value out of the EA proposition, maybe. I suspect that I’ll reap almost zero benefit over someone with the new charging plan.

So, I’m gonna play it by ear. I recently placed an order on a ‘22 Polestar 2 for May delivery. I’ll see what shows up when and then decide. I know there’s plenty of people who will take that ‘21 AWD Pro.S well into Q2 - I’m just not sure that person is me.

·
139 Posts
I know what you mean. It wasn't so bad when mine rolled off the line on 9/30/21 that I would get a MY21, but now that we are firmly in 2022 and this shipping disaster that VW has accepted, and I am over 100 days out since the friggin car was completed, I too am pissed about accepting a 21 deep into the model year 22. It sucks. And to boot, I don't have said car yet. It's ridiculous how lousy VW logistics is, and the guy or gal running it is probably pulling down 500k to a million a year.

I have said it here many times...VW has set back the logistics universe by 40 to 50 years. The idea that you can't track a car all the way from Germany and not know exactly where it is is ludicrous. I can track underwear I ordered on Amazon but not a 50k car? Give me a break. The car better be outstanding because I am beyond aggravated at this point as the car supposedly sitting in a yard in Chicago, STILL awaiting a truck to Wisconsin (been that way since 12/24). And don't get me started on the clueless dealer network. They are of no help at all. I really wish at this point I would have accepted the 18k (price difference and tax difference) penalty and just bought the Tesla.

At this point, VW has proven to be so inept at delivering the vehicle that I doubt I will keep the car. How can I trust that a company so inept at logistics (the easiest part of being a car company) is going to prove adept at something complicated like delivering OTA updates? Or actually building a real competitor to Tesla?

Disappointed in Wisconsin!
I hear ya. If I were to see software updates rolled out prior to delivery, it would be a major confidence boost for the car - at least then, we know we’ll be seeing 2022 features on the 2021’s soon.

To have a car stamped out in September, and still undelivered is a major failure. I feel for you.

·
VW ID4 AWD Pro S
66 Posts
Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska - it is tough for EVs in the Midwest; both for availability of DCFC (closest to me is 30-45 miles) and obviously getting imported vehicles to our locations. I imagine part of the problem is lack of truck drivers, and I am concerned about the knowledge of the service techs when/if work needs to be performed on the ID4. I am assuming it will take at least a month from port to dealer, I feel for your situation @Ragetti! Very frustrating indeed. I am hoping that @systemlogicblah and I have more timely delivery of our AWD models WHEN they reach port.

I also agree, that the unlimited vs. 30 min EA charging change from 21 to 22 models is of no consequence for me since I will only be able to use the free charging when taking road trips which amounts to ~ 2-3 per year.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
870 Posts
Been tracking SFL Conductor, see a 5-meter wave and over 29kt wind. Opened the Windy website, and I see huge weather build-up on the Atlantics. Finger crossed for our Siem Cicero and SFL Conductor...

·
35 Posts
I never really thought much about how cars are moved on ships now. I still had visions of loading with cranes like the old days…
I don’t know how this compares now to many of the Vehicle transport ships- I think they said it was the largest (at time of video).
But pretty facinating to think about how to load/unload all those cars/trucks!

I was beginning to wonder how the loading/offloading worked as it seems the time in port is very short. Very interesting video. Thanks!

·
ID.4 Pro-S AWD
28 Posts
I took the reservation spreadsheet Friday and took a stab at analyzing how VW is doing compared to the "ID.4 Logistics Guide"

I combined dealer state into arrival ports as below and made averages. Some of my state guesses are wrong, I'm sure. There is lots of missing data in the spreadsheet, and some have probably added wrong dates, double-entries, etc. out of confusion. Still, it seems useful in the absence of data from VW. Beats working on the things I'm supposed to be doing.

Most of the "Leaving Factory to Arrival" averages are within VW's estimated ranges, that makes sense if VW controls that part of the process. Jacksonville beats the estimate at 22 days, but just a few cars with data. Oddly, the cars going to Houston which should then go by truck to dealers have a LF to Arrival average of 27 days, compared to the cars arriving at Housing when then go by rail all at 32 days (I double-checked, they are all round to 32). It could be just the way car orders are bunched--more of the CO, IL and WA area orders are AWD compared to TX, I assume, for instance.

VW's arrival to delivery estimates are not so good, mostly taking well over estimate.

Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue

I'm in Colorado, based on the averages, I might hope my leaving factory 20-1 on Dec 11 translates to January 12 arrival in Houston, and Feb 17 at the dealer. Alas, I'm still at 20-1 on January 9. March?? Please?

Seems like more than one week delay due to the holidays, now additional Covid delays. Can't really get mad, just ready already.

Attachments

·
185 Posts
I took the reservation spreadsheet Friday and took a stab at analyzing how VW is doing compared to the "ID.4 Logistics Guide"

I combined dealer state into arrival ports as below and made averages. Some of my state guesses are wrong, I'm sure. There is lots of missing data in the spreadsheet, and some have probably added wrong dates, double-entries, etc. out of confusion. Still, it seems useful in the absence of data from VW. Beats working on the things I'm supposed to be doing.

Most of the "Leaving Factory to Arrival" averages are within VW's estimated ranges, that makes sense if VW controls that part of the process. Jacksonville beats the estimate at 22 days, but just a few cars with data. Oddly, the cars going to Houston which should then go by truck to dealers have a LF to Arrival average of 27 days, compared to the cars arriving at Housing when then go by rail all at 32 days (I double-checked, they are all round to 32). It could be just the way car orders are bunched--more of the CO, IL and WA area orders are AWD compared to TX, I assume, for instance.

VW's arrival to delivery estimates are not so good, mostly taking well over estimate.

View attachment 8520

I'm in Colorado, based on the averages, I might hope my leaving factory 20-1 on Dec 11 translates to January 12 arrival in Houston, and Feb 17 at the dealer. Alas, I'm still at 20-1 on January 9. March?? Please?

Seems like more than one week delay due to the holidays, now additional Covid delays. Can't really get mad, just ready already.
Arrival is when it goes to 30-1, right? Mine went to 30-1 and 30-2 on 1/4 and is headed in NJ. So it arrival to delivery for NJ is 12 days, which would be 1/16. Last week my dealer told me 1/19-1/24, so that's pretty close. I was hoping to get it this Friday but I think I can wait another week!

When I locked my order (late August), the portal estimate was Oct. - Nov. That got bumped back to Dec. - Jan early on (I think it changed in October). If they deliver in January, overall I can't really complain much given the supply chain situation. I'm just really eager to get the ID.4 -- it will be my first new car!

·
2021 ID.4 AWD Pro Moonstone Gray
10 Posts
It is here! The dealer just called to say that our AWD Pro, Moonstone Gray ID.4 arrived at the dealership, and we're picking it up tomorrow!
So here's then final tally (372 days):

1/5/21: Ordered
6/21/21: Locked
10/24: 15-2
10/29: Estimated Pickup Date change to Dec 2021 - Jan 2022
11/17: 20-1 Production Complete
11/18: Leaving the factory email
12/4: Departed Emden
12/6: 20-2
12/28: 30-1 Arriving in the US (24 days at sea)
12/29: 30-2
12/31: 30-3
1/5: Dealer confirmed ‘released to carrier’
1/7: Dealer reports car loaded on truck
1/8: 35-2
1/11: 50
1/11: Dealer called to arrange sale
1/11: WOT still 'Arriving in the US'. No email from VWoA.
1/12: Scheduled pickup from dealer

The long trip across the Atlantic (24 days Emden to Baltimore) was due to storms in the North Atlantic (6 days), and waiting through the Christmas holiday to get into port (4 days). Then there were 2 snowstorms that affected Baltimore before it got on the truck.

AWD Pro, Moonstone Gray
Asheville, NC

2101 - 2120 of 3000 Posts