Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pre-ordered in September as soon as the website would allow, and have been impatiently waiting since.

I'd done a ton of reading and YouTube research about the car I didn't expect to be surprised when I picked it up in person, but a few things stood right out for me.

TDLR: Amazing car and value so far

Pros:

• Car feels fairly powerful/torquey between 0-40 mph. Moreso than my GTI.
  • Turning radius is amazing
  • Build quality looks great, I can't spot any little missteps after looking really closely
  • Wireless Bluetooth Android auto works excellent. My GTI would disconnect constantly
  • Sunroof is huge and I'm really happy it's there
  • Controversial but I like the sounds it makes at low speeds
  • Paid cash, and after my GTI trade in and next year's tax credit the car cost me 26k. Used car values are insane right now.
  • I was surprised by the amount of features offered by the infotainment
  • Felt planted and confident to drive on some twisties.
  • Infotainment screen is gorgeous
Cons:
  • Infotainment performance/stutters
  • 40-70mph performance drops off. Still acceptable, but not fun like down low
  • Some features only work in "Park" but only says that the feature is "Unavailable".
  • Interior materials aren't as good as the GTI.

Cons I avoided thanks to this community:
  • Not using scheduled charging, relying on my smart ev charger to schedule instead
  • Did not set a home location
  • Disabled ID voice commands
  • Using AA for Google maps/spotify
  • Made sure vehicle was in sport mode
  • Basically prepped myself and my wife for the expectation that the hardware would be good, and the software rough around the edges

Overall tempering my expectations that certain features would be buggy and reading about work arounds have smoothed the end user experience out a ton. Charging has been flawless, and my charging filling the car at 9.4kw to 80% has worked everytime.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I disabled
Throw in AWD and the Gradient package and you’ve got my preorder! Curious, why didn’t you set a home location and turn off ID commands?
ID commands must have a process running, looking for the key word and some people have noticed a slight perf increase to the Infotainment when disabled. I also wasn't planning to use it so even if that's placebo it doesn't matter.

The home location, I think, has caused issues with people trying to setup charging schedules. There are some bugs in that whole chunk of the OS, so I decided to just let the car be as dumb as possible and manage via the charger instead - had no problems as a result I think!

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
310 Posts
I found that the infotainment was faster after I got rid of the nav widget and disabled wifi searching too BTW.

·
18 Posts
You’re not wrong about used car values currently. I traded in my 2018 Model 3 this week for an ID.4.

In January my Model 3 was averaging $30-31.5k in value. I traded it in this week for $37.8k toward the ID.4.

Thanks global chip shortage. 🙃

·
2021 1st
777 Posts
The home location, I think, has caused issues with people trying to setup charging schedules. There are some bugs in that whole chunk of the OS, so I decided to just let the car be as dumb as possible and manage via the charger instead - had no problems as a result I think!
I don't think the Home location has any bearing on the charging issue, but if you're going to use your EVSE rather than the on-board scheduling make sure to keep an eye on things to keep the charge level <80% in the meantime because your vehicle's BMS can't regulate charging/maintenance with the current setup. I charge mine to 100% about once per 1,000miles to allow the BMS to level the cells.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think the Home location has any bearing on the charging issue, but if you're going to use your EVSE rather than the on-board scheduling make sure to keep an eye on things to keep the charge level <80% in the meantime because your vehicle's BMS can't regulate charging/maintenance with the current setup. I charge mine to 100% about once per 1,000miles to allow the BMS to level the cells.

I've set the maximum charge to 80% on the ID.4 and it seems to be respecting that. Definitely don't want to fill it up to 100% unless I'm road tripping.

·
18 Posts
I've set the maximum charge to 80% on the ID.4 and it seems to be respecting that. Definitely don't want to fill it up to 100% unless I'm road tripping.
I wish VW let us choose more than 10% increments. Tesla let you choose any percentage (and recommended 90% max for daily driving.) I always kept mine at 85%.

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S Dusk Blue
60 Posts
Same here for the smaller increments of the charging range. I would settle with either 2% or 5% increments though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts