Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I just received a call that my ID.4 Pro S is expected to be at the dealership in the next few days!! I'm very excited!! The "sales consultant" for my purchase (who has not had any part of the sale of this vehicle) sent over the "price sheet" for my car. I am very confused as to what the heck I am looking at as it is nowhere near the price of the car I was expecting when I reserved. I have included a copy of the breakdown below. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

If I look at my reservation right now I see:
Model: ID.4 Pro S (Statement)
Package: Gradient
MSRP: $50,009

I fully expected that they would try to tack on some additional markup but this is insane to me. The notice on the VW site shows: "Starting MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) excludes transportation, taxes, title, other options, and dealer charges. Dealer sets actual price."

Anybody have some thoughts or experience with this? Please help!!

Font Material property Number Parallel Screenshot

Update #1:
I appreciate all of your input! It has been helpful! I'll continue to take you along for the ride as I work through this issue. Here is the initial response I got when expressing my thoughts about the initial price sheet:
"There is a Regional Market Adjustment on all new vehicles currently as there is a major shortage in vehicles across the market.
The pricing you saw when you placed the order is the MSRP before Destination Charges, Tax, Title, Licensing, and dealer fees.
With that being said I am happy to do my best to get you a great deal on the ID.4.
Let me know how you would like to proceed and I am happy to take any offer to my manager, I look forward to hearing back from you and helping anyway I can, talk soon!
Respectfully,"
Wish me luck!!

Update #2:
The sales manager has stepped in and replied to my last email, which he wasn't included on. They cut the original sales person out of the chain too. Here's his reply:
My name is the Sales Manager here at VW of Portland, and I helped * with the quick quote that you have requested.
I understand that we may not be on the same page, and I hope we will be able to bridge the gap.
I'd like to start with addressing the fact that we are not the only dealer regionally and nationally with a disclosed mark-up. The above MSRP pricing to us as a dealer is fairly new as well as to you as a customer.
Extreme scarcity of silicone microchips has not only caused huge delays for all manufacturers' production lines, but also a significant shortage of inventory in our industry.
This scenario has created a spike in the market for the last 6 months. Due to this, both parties - dealer and consumer - we are in tricky positions. You would like to purchase the vehicle at MSRP, which has been outlined by the factory a while prior to the shortage and currently does not reflect actual market value of these vehicles. Meanwhile, we would like to continue making money off volume sales, not the customer, but are forced to make our moneys otherwise.
At this moment, I would like to refer you to VW's terms and conditions regarding reservation protocols: ID.4 Terms
I'm quoting them directly:
"Your Reservation and Order do NOT guarantee a set price for the Vehicle. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT DEALER SETS THE ACTUAL PRICE, WHICH MAY DIFFER FROM THE MSRP. The MSRP does not include taxes, title, transportation, other options and other dealer fees and charges."
With that said, in the current market ID.4 models are selling above the MSRP. In case you choose to lease the vehicle, which will give you the most advantageous pricing, we would love to earn your business.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
I've removed their names to not make it "personal" but this guy has provided no help so far. I replied back and told them that I have no interest in buying it with a mark-up and that if they can't get it to MSRP they can transfer it to a different dealership to complete the sale.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right? Doubtful that this will be done at this point but I shot my shot at least!

Update #3:
The dealership has not responded to my last email. Somebody who saw my post reached out to me today to let me know that the dealership called them this morning letting them know that they had a PRO S AWD expected to be delivered and was wondering if they were interested. I have to assume that this is my vehicle that they are trying to line up a new buyer for. I was able to get a copy of my monroney sticker today to show what the actual MSRP is on the car:

Product Newspaper Font Material property Parallel

The dealership that shared the sticker picture with me also discussed the fact that the dealership is definitely making money on the sale at MSRP and that they are surprised that they have not got in trouble with VW over this. Here's hoping that I am the catalyst that gets them in trouble!

Update #4:

I wrote an email last night to the General Sales Manager at the dealership and received a call this morning to discuss. Without too much effort I was offered an MSRP sale with the stipulation that I use VW financing to purchase the vehicle. I had not decided on what path I would take for financing at this time so I am not against this as an option.

I was also offered the option of leasing the vehicle which would allow the dealership to take the tax incentives off of the "purchase price" of the vehicle. I have never leased a vehicle before and I fully intend to purchase the car, does anybody have any thoughts on this as an option? I have zero concern about being able to meet the tax burden this year to be able to utilize the tax incentive on my year end taxes either. Thoughts?

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Numbers do not seem right at all. I am inclined to think they sent you the wrong info. If this ends up being correct info from dealer, please let us know who the dealer is so we can avoid.
I haven't had a good feel from this "salesman" from day one so I'm thinking he's trying to gouge me and get some significant profit.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD Gradient Mythos Black Reserved 4/18/2021 Order locked 6/21/2021
16 Posts
Numbers do not seem right at all. I am inclined to think they sent you the wrong info. If this ends up being correct info from dealer, please let us know who the dealer is so we can avoid.
Agreed...

Even the "Multnomah Fee" seems off if this is what it is...
"Residents of Multnomah County pay an additional fee when they renew their Oregon motor vehicle registration every two years. As of January 1, 2021, the two-year county fee is $112 for cars and pickup trucks, or $78 for motorcycles."

So it looks like they doubled the fee unless that is a 4 year registration they are selling you.

·
"Einstein" - 2021 ID.4 AWD Pro S, Scale Silver
169 Posts
He's gouging you. Read the Dealer Shenanigans thread:

If you pre-ordered an ID.4 with VWoA (and paid your $500 deposit) the dealers are not supposed to be playing markup games and e-Mobility will step in and talk to them. The thread above goes into countless stories about this and what to do.

·
52 Posts
Wow, just wow. Definitely trying to gouge you. Shameless. What the heck is “theft reg” anyway? I’m surprised they didn’t tack on a line item for “Dealer Yacht Fund”…

I would ask them to send you a PDF of the Monroney sticker for the car, which starts with the MSRP and lists all official options included, rather than starting with some fictional “selling price” with an imaginary “rebate” that makes it look like they’re cutting the inflated price just for you. They’re legally obliged to display and show you the Monroney sticker.

Some people have had to contact the e-mobility team at VWofA to get them to intervene with greedy dealers in cases like this.

·
257 Posts
Do you have your VIN for the car from the VW web site? If so, there are places online where you can obtain the Monroney sticker for your specific car. That will give you the car's real MSRP including the Destination Charge. For a car that was reserved using VW's online web portal you should not have to pay anything more than that beyond taxes, registration and perhaps a document fee. Technically, the dealer can still play games with these cars but VW corporate has tried hard to hold that behavior to a minimum as it reflects badly on the brand since the order was taken and deposit accepted at MSRP. Don't hesitate to let the dealer know that you will call VW corporate to complain if they continue with the games.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to give you some idea of what to expect, here's my invoice. As you can see, the only charges are license/registration fee and title & registration processing fees. The Washington State Tax is showing at the top because I purchased my car in Oregon.

View attachment 7323
Thank you! That is extremely helpful! Curious, what model did you purchase and what dealership did you go through?

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, White.
23 Posts
Maybe this helps?
If you can, have it shipped to Armstrong in Gladstone. I am assuming you are in the PDX area. That is where I bought mine. No BS, No ADM, etc.
Steve Simmons (old guy like me) was salesman. I paid only MSRP. Period. My brother in Colorado is getting the same BS. I am in no way affiliated with this dealership, they were the most honest I could find.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe this helps?
If you can, have it shipped to Armstrong in Gladstone. I am assuming you are in the PDX area. That is where I bought mine. No BS, No ADM, etc.
Steve Simmons (old guy like me) was salesman. I paid only MSRP. Period. My brother in Colorado is getting the same BS. I am in no way affiliated with this dealership, they were the most honest I could find.
I appreciate the heads up. It is looking like I might not be able to transfer dealerships at this point. I'm gonna give them a call though to see if they have any advice.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You might as well name and shame that dealer. Lets us know who to avoid.
My bad, I thought I had mentioned it earlier on. The dealership being delivered to is Dick Hannah of Portland. I had somebody on a Reddit thread about this day they had a similar experience. I've contacted two other local dealerships that have told me that they are selling theirs at MSRP with only local fees added so this dealerships definitely seems to be one to avoid in this market.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
664 Posts
Do you have your VIN for the car from the VW web site? If so, there are places online where you can obtain the Monroney sticker for your specific car. That will give you the car's real MSRP including the Destination Charge. For a car that was reserved using VW's online web portal you should not have to pay anything more than that beyond taxes, registration and perhaps a document fee. Technically, the dealer can still play games with these cars but VW corporate has tried hard to hold that behavior to a minimum as it reflects badly on the brand since the order was taken and deposit accepted at MSRP. Don't hesitate to let the dealer know that you will call VW corporate to complain if they continue with the games.
Are you thinking of withclutch.com? I had originally looked up some VINs on there, when I tried looking up my VIN last month, I got this...

Due to popular demand, the Make you entered is currently only available through our paid bulk access. This may change soon again but for now, please sign up by clicking on the button below.
Scroll down half a page. You'll see a button that says "Bulk Access Sign Up". You'll be charged a $5 activation fee, which will be turned into credits for the first sticker. A sticker is $5 and there will be no recurring charges.

·
192 Posts
By law they must have a Monroney sticker (even Teslas have one but you only see it after the purchase… lol).

Does this dealer post digital ones on their website? Can you ask to see yours? I don’t know how VW dealers add markup but Ford dealers who markup the Mach-E show their Monroney sticker with MSRP (online) and then add an ADM figure underneath (often just writing it in pen when you see the sticker/car in person)

·
257 Posts
By law they must have a Monroney sticker (even Teslas have one but you only see it after the purchase… lol).

Does this dealer post digital ones on their website? Can you ask to see yours? I don’t know how VW dealers add markup but Ford dealers who markup the Mach-E show their Monroney sticker with MSRP (online) and then add an ADM figure underneath (often just writing it in pen when you see the sticker/car in person)
Yes, by law all new cars sold by a dealer must have a Maroney sticker. (Per the FTC, used cars are also supposed to have sticker but it's not a Maroney.) However, the dealer won't have the sticker until the car shows up on their lot. The online service noted above lets you get a sticker a month or so before the car arrives. You just need the VIN which you can get from the VW web portal, though you do have to dig into the HTML coding. Instructions on how to do that can be found in another thread or two on this site.

·
16 Posts
Hello all,

I just received a call that my ID.4 Pro S is expected to be at the dealership in the next few days!! I'm very excited!! The "sales consultant" for my purchase (who has not had any part of the sale of this vehicle) sent over the "price sheet" for my car. I am very confused as to what the heck I am looking at as it is nowhere near the price of the car I was expecting when I reserved. I have included a copy of the breakdown below. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

If I look at my reservation right now I see:
Model: ID.4 Pro S (Statement)
Package: Gradient
MSRP: $50,009

I fully expected that they would try to tack on some additional markup but this is insane to me. The notice on the VW site shows: "Starting MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) excludes transportation, taxes, title, other options, and dealer charges. Dealer sets actual price."

Anybody have some thoughts or experience with this? Please help!!

View attachment 7322
Before the car arrives at the dealer, you might want to tell them not to put any theft registration etchings, paint protection, or other unnecessary itms onto the car. You are buying the same model, same price as mine, which should arrive at the dealer in about a month. Yesterday I sat down with the salesperson and went through the list. She agreed to charge MSRP, the state sales tax, the state registration (tags) fee, and a documentation fee of $399. Nothing else. And since I am going to lease the car, she agreed to do the paperwork for the $7500 federal rebate and the $4000 state rebate, and subtract them from the price. So my bottom line will end up at about $42,000. Looks like you are getting ripped off by at least $10,000.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts