Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

This is why I reserved a car at one dealership, and my wife ordered the exact same car to be delivered at a different dealership. If they pull too much crud, we reject it and go to the other one.
This is a great idea that I see some others here doing, and wish I had done. Because a larger dealer has more allocations they get them quicker. The bigger one told me they got to place orders for their own stock that they can then sell to you. The biggest dealer near me has gotten 15 AWD orders in, while my dealer only got 1 so far. Also the dealers with bigger waiting lists will have more cancellations that can then speed up yours (as long as they are an honest one who does that instead of mark them up $5000 and put them on the lot.)

This is another reason why I expect a lot of cancellations, which at some point will speed up the q.

Super Moderator
This is another reason why I expect a lot of cancellations, which at some point will speed up the q.
We were expecting to get a car in September after ordering in March but were able to purchase a car the next week due to a cancelled order. Been lovin' it ever since.

ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
... a larger dealer has more allocations they get them quicker. The bigger one told me they got to place orders for their own stock that they can then sell to you. ...
VW has been pretty clear that there are no dealer allocations at play with the ID.4 ordering process, that it's customer-driven, first come first served on the website.

Your dealer is saying that's not the case? This is the first instance I'm seeing dealer allocation mentioned.

Waiting for a RWD Blue ProS w/ Light interior. Ordered Sept 4, 2021.
VW has been pretty clear that there are no dealer allocations at play with the ID.4 ordering process, that it's customer-driven, first come first served on the website.
I may not know anything, but it appears that "Step One to Step Two" on the Wheel of Pain is all about the dealer allocation. The Dealer has to "Accept" your order in order for it to move from Step One to Two.

Your dealer is saying that's not the case? This is the first instance I'm seeing dealer allocation mentioned.
It may be unofficial, such as they get every sales person's brother, cousin, etc. to place orders which then get cancelled once they arrive at the dealer's lot. Of course they would not say that to explain why they now have an AWD available for anyone, while I still wait.

As Eric mentioned and I have read others report, they do have some amount of "production slots" that varies by dealer.

Hello all,

I just received a call that my ID.4 Pro S is expected to be at the dealership in the next few days!! I'm very excited!! The "sales consultant" for my purchase (who has not had any part of the sale of this vehicle) sent over the "price sheet" for my car. I am very confused as to what the heck I am looking at as it is nowhere near the price of the car I was expecting when I reserved. I have included a copy of the breakdown below. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

If I look at my reservation right now I see:
Model: ID.4 Pro S (Statement)
Package: Gradient
MSRP: $50,009

I fully expected that they would try to tack on some additional markup but this is insane to me. The notice on the VW site shows: "Starting MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) excludes transportation, taxes, title, other options, and dealer charges. Dealer sets actual price."

Anybody have some thoughts or experience with this? Please help!!

View attachment 7322
My price was $50k off the lot for ID4 pro s 19" wheels in CA san jose

Discussion Starter · #30 ·
MSRP Is what you want to pay and 2-300 dealers fee and not penny more....
Don't let them play you with artificially boosted numbers then show you discount and other fees that you don't agree to pay.
Even though I truly believe that the dealership doesn't deserve any additional mark-up since they had nothing to do with the sale of the vehicle. I would probably be able to handle that much of a "destination fee" or something if that is what it came to. No way I'm agreeing to what they are putting out there though!

Even though I truly believe that the dealership doesn't deserve any additional mark-up since they had nothing to do with the sale of the vehicle. I would probably be able to handle that much of a "destination fee" or something if that is what it came to. No way I'm agreeing to what they are putting out there though!
They are making more profit this year than best year in last 10 years....and volume dealers make a lot of money on New cars....no matter what they are trying to make you believe. destination fee is already in MSRP price so no i will not pay for additional destination fees. And they are making profit on destination fees already in MSRP.

And some Dealerships don't charge any documentation fees. If you paying MSRP look for honest and reputable dealers... There are some in Colorado and Nebraska that i have come across working on ID cars.
When i was on market to buy Ram TRX fully loaded there where a lot of dealers trying to male 10-15k markups on the MSRP....So i finished going 1000 miles from my residence to buy at MSRP....even if it only 1000 bucks markups and cost me almost double to buy at MSRP i will still do it because it is my money and he will not get free money from me.

I had a similar experience with Dick Hannah of Portland. They had an in stock Id.4 (not reserved) and attempted to charge me $9k over MSRP for a base model鈥 They outright told me to use the $7,500 tax credit to offset some of their $9k markup. When I told them I would stick with my current reservation they then told me that most dealerships had a regional adjustment, including where my reservation was at (which is not true). I made it clear I would purchase only at MSRP.

However, the dealership that actually has my reservation rang me today and they were able to allocate me almost the exact model I ordered (though it鈥檚 the gradient package) at MSRP and about 6 months faster than my scheduled date. I鈥檓 so excited!!

Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I had a similar experience with Dick Hannah of Portland. They had an in stock Id.4 (not reserved) and attempted to charge me $9k over MSRP for a base model鈥 They outright told me to use the $7,500 tax credit to offset some of their $9k markup. When I told them I would stick with my current reservation they then told me that most dealerships had a regional adjustment, including where my reservation was at (which is not true). I made it clear I would purchase only at MSRP.

However, the dealership that actually has my reservation rang me today and they were able to allocate me almost the exact model I ordered (though it鈥檚 the gradient package) at MSRP and about 6 months faster than my scheduled date. I鈥檓 so excited!!
That's great that you're having this experience. What dealership did you have your reservation at?

Discussion Starter · #38 ·
FYI, VW Destination Fee is $1175, everywhere in the US. That will be a fixed add-on.
Is that built into the MSRP on the sticker though? I was told by another dealer that my MSRP is $ 51,204.00 the original MSRP + $1,195 which is aligns with what mlsstl said. I'm assuming that $1,195 goes straight to the dealer as additional profits so any additional mark-up is just greed.

Is that built into the MSRP on the sticker though? I was told by another dealer that my MSRP is $ 51,204.00 the original MSRP + $1,195 which is aligns with what mlsstl said. I'm assuming that $1,195 goes straight to the dealer as additional profits so any additional mark-up is just greed.
Destination charges are not a scam (but you're right to be suspicious). The destination charge is always an additional line item to the MSRP (or whatever the selling price is) for a new vehicle. It's a standard, non-negotiable charge and will be the same for everyone buying the same new car 鈥 doesn't matter whether you live right next door to the final assembly point or 3000 miles away from the port where the car arrives. It's the same for everyone. The fee covers transportation of the vehicle by road or rail, or a combination of the two, within the continental U.S. Any international shipping costs are baked into the vehicle鈥檚 total price.

The fee is mandated by the federal government and exists to ensure customers are paying the same delivery fee for a new vehicle no matter where they are located. This prevents unscrupulous dealerships from just making up or marking up their own destination fees, which you can be assured many of them would try to do if given half a chance.

Destination charges aren't added for used vehicles.

Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Destination charges are not a scam (but you're right to be suspicious). The destination charge is always an additional line item to the MSRP (or whatever the selling price is) for a new vehicle. It's a standard, non-negotiable charge and will be the same for everyone buying the same new car 鈥 doesn't matter whether you live right next door to the final assembly point or 3000 miles away from the port where the car arrives. It's the same for everyone. The fee covers transportation of the vehicle by road or rail, or a combination of the two, within the continental U.S. Any international shipping costs are baked into the vehicle鈥檚 total price.

The fee is mandated by the federal government and exists to ensure customers are paying the same delivery fee for a new vehicle no matter where they are located. This prevents unscrupulous dealerships from just making up or marking up their own destination fees, which you can be assured many of them would try to do if given half a chance.

Destination charges aren't added for used vehicles.
Thank you for the additional information, it is helpful! I was able to get a copy of the Monroney sticker today from another dealership which shows the details of that destination fee and how it fits into the final MSRP of the car.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts