Volkswagen ID Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
1 Posts
That's great that you're having this experience. What dealership did you have your reservation at?
I too "had" a reservation at Dick Hannah VW for an ID.4 AWD Pro S. I was told by a friend who ordered an RWD ID.4 there this Summer that they tried to charge him 7K over dealer invoice (dealer add-on's and markup) After hearing his story and the 3 hrs he spent arguing with the Sales Manager at Dick Hannah I ended up calling another VW dealer and inquiring about dealer markup on the Id.4's. I was told by a Sales Consultant at Herzog-Meier VW "You will only pay MSRP here" I asked if I could change dealerships and he suggested I call VW Customer Care and ask. Needless to say, I made the call and switched my order no problem and confirmed It recently when I reviewed my order. I haven't received my AWD ID.4 Pro S yet and don't expect it until Dec/Jan so we will see what happens.

·
1 Posts
Is that built into the MSRP on the sticker though? I was told by another dealer that my MSRP is $ 51,204.00 the original MSRP + $1,195 which is aligns with what mlsstl said. I'm assuming that $1,195 goes straight to the dealer as additional profits so any additional mark-up is just greed.
The same 1,195 is charged to the dealer also as a destination fee. No profit to the dealer!!

·
43 Posts
Hello all,

I just received a call that my ID.4 Pro S is expected to be at the dealership in the next few days!! I'm very excited!! The "sales consultant" for my purchase (who has not had any part of the sale of this vehicle) sent over the "price sheet" for my car. I am very confused as to what the heck I am looking at as it is nowhere near the price of the car I was expecting when I reserved. I have included a copy of the breakdown below. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

If I look at my reservation right now I see:
Model: ID.4 Pro S (Statement)
Package: Gradient
MSRP: $50,009

I fully expected that they would try to tack on some additional markup but this is insane to me. The notice on the VW site shows: "Starting MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) excludes transportation, taxes, title, other options, and dealer charges. Dealer sets actual price."

Anybody have some thoughts or experience with this? Please help!!

View attachment 7322

Update #1:
I appreciate all of your input! It has been helpful! I'll continue to take you along for the ride as I work through this issue. Here is the initial response I got when expressing my thoughts about the initial price sheet:

Wish me luck!!

Update #2:
The sales manager has stepped in and replied to my last email, which he wasn't included on. They cut the original sales person out of the chain too. Here's his reply:

I've removed their names to not make it "personal" but this guy has provided no help so far. I replied back and told them that I have no interest in buying it with a mark-up and that if they can't get it to MSRP they can transfer it to a different dealership to complete the sale.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right? Doubtful that this will be done at this point but I shot my shot at least!

Update #3:
The dealership has not responded to my last email. Somebody who saw my post reached out to me today to let me know that the dealership called them this morning letting them know that they had a PRO S AWD expected to be delivered and was wondering if they were interested. I have to assume that this is my vehicle that they are trying to line up a new buyer for. I was able to get a copy of my monroney sticker today to show what the actual MSRP is on the car:

View attachment 7378

The dealership that shared the sticker picture with me also discussed the fact that the dealership is definitely making money on the sale at MSRP and that they are surprised that they have not got in trouble with VW over this. Here's hoping that I am the catalyst that gets them in trouble!

Update #4:

I wrote an email last night to the General Sales Manager at the dealership and received a call this morning to discuss. Without too much effort I was offered an MSRP sale with the stipulation that I use VW financing to purchase the vehicle. I had not decided on what path I would take for financing at this time so I am not against this as an option.

I was also offered the option of leasing the vehicle which would allow the dealership to take the tax incentives off of the "purchase price" of the vehicle. I have never leased a vehicle before and I fully intend to purchase the car, does anybody have any thoughts on this as an option? I have zero concern about being able to meet the tax burden this year to be able to utilize the tax incentive on my year end taxes either. Thoughts?
Do not lease this car. MF at 0.0143 is crazy high. You can finance for 3 months and pay the car off. This enables them to make up something. MSRP and above is standard on this car. Dealer can not transfer to another dealer for you to buy at lower price.

·
18 Posts
I would not pay a dime over sticker price. I bought a used id4 Pro S and then when they called VW and was told no free charging, they sold me an id4 Pro right off the truck outside for sticker price. Sorry for whoever’s I took!

·
2 Posts
So who are these magic MSRP dealers? We've had a few mentioned here but most people just say they got an MSRP deal and that's it. I don't doubt that anyone who said that they got an MSRP deal got an MSRP deal but it is less believable when the dealer is not mentioned. I think there was a Reddit group that was compiling a list of good dealers.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
1,771 Posts
Customers who ordered should expect MSRP.

I was a walk-in customer and got MSRP in Tracy, California, but that was after ping-ponging off of a handful of other dealers with inventory in the SF Bay Area who were asking between $3k and $5k over.

·
18 Posts
Maybe I am the only one who got MSRP on a new non-preordered id4 because of their screw up for the used one they had just finished selling me (they said free charging then found out no)? With this crazy car market everywhere right now I could see surcharges, unfortunately.

·
5 Posts
Maybe I am the only one who got MSRP on a new non-preordered id4 because of their screw up for the used one they had just finished selling me (they said free charging then found out no)? With this crazy car market everywhere right now I could see surcharges, unfortunately.
I just took delivery yesterday of my Id.4 Pro S (RWD). I loved my dealership (University VW).I’m so glad I stuck with them! Got a non-reserved (someone cancelled their order) Id.4 even in my preferred color (though it had the gradient package) at MSRP with no dealer adds on or markup (minus destination, doc fee, etc). There was also no pressure to buy the extended warranties etc.

So, yes, there are some good dealerships out there!

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
399 Posts
I was also offered the option of leasing the vehicle which would allow the dealership to take the tax incentives off of the "purchase price" of the vehicle. I have never leased a vehicle before and I fully intend to purchase the car, does anybody have any thoughts on this as an option? I have zero concern about being able to meet the tax burden this year to be able to utilize the tax incentive on my year end taxes either. Thoughts?
Leases are quite complex and while it is true they can apply the tax credit to get the cost down but that's not the point. You should be able to get the fed tax credit after buying at or close to MSRP.

Entering into a lease agreement if you never have done so provides the dealer an opportunity to pull the wool over your eyes as a n00b. They seem bold enough to want to rip you off so I would trust them as far as I could throw them.

I would take the offer of sale at MSRP as a purchase.

Reactions: Mike Bouck

·
10 Posts
Hello all,

I just received a call that my ID.4 Pro S is expected to be at the dealership in the next few days!! I'm very excited!! The "sales consultant" for my purchase (who has not had any part of the sale of this vehicle) sent over the "price sheet" for my car. I am very confused as to what the heck I am looking at as it is nowhere near the price of the car I was expecting when I reserved. I have included a copy of the breakdown below. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

If I look at my reservation right now I see:
Model: ID.4 Pro S (Statement)
Package: Gradient
MSRP: $50,009

I fully expected that they would try to tack on some additional markup but this is insane to me. The notice on the VW site shows: "Starting MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) excludes transportation, taxes, title, other options, and dealer charges. Dealer sets actual price."

Anybody have some thoughts or experience with this? Please help!!

View attachment 7322

Update #1:
I appreciate all of your input! It has been helpful! I'll continue to take you along for the ride as I work through this issue. Here is the initial response I got when expressing my thoughts about the initial price sheet:

Wish me luck!!

Update #2:
The sales manager has stepped in and replied to my last email, which he wasn't included on. They cut the original sales person out of the chain too. Here's his reply:

I've removed their names to not make it "personal" but this guy has provided no help so far. I replied back and told them that I have no interest in buying it with a mark-up and that if they can't get it to MSRP they can transfer it to a different dealership to complete the sale.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right? Doubtful that this will be done at this point but I shot my shot at least!

Update #3:
The dealership has not responded to my last email. Somebody who saw my post reached out to me today to let me know that the dealership called them this morning letting them know that they had a PRO S AWD expected to be delivered and was wondering if they were interested. I have to assume that this is my vehicle that they are trying to line up a new buyer for. I was able to get a copy of my monroney sticker today to show what the actual MSRP is on the car:

View attachment 7378

The dealership that shared the sticker picture with me also discussed the fact that the dealership is definitely making money on the sale at MSRP and that they are surprised that they have not got in trouble with VW over this. Here's hoping that I am the catalyst that gets them in trouble!

Update #4:

I wrote an email last night to the General Sales Manager at the dealership and received a call this morning to discuss. Without too much effort I was offered an MSRP sale with the stipulation that I use VW financing to purchase the vehicle. I had not decided on what path I would take for financing at this time so I am not against this as an option.

Haven't read all the posts to see how you came out. Faced with this situation I would just cut to the chase with the dealer and tell them you are going to register a complaint with the State Attorney General's office AND start going up the chain to the regional or national VW rep informing them of what's going on. In my experience that is the quickest way to reform a dealership. Hope it turned out.

A salesperson is under the thumb of the sales manager and often they work as a team. The salesman is in no way on your side, even if they don't like what's going on. He can get screwed too.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
1,771 Posts
Here's a story Clean Technica posted today.

A Ford dealer wouldn't even take a prospective customers Mach E order unless he agreed to a markup.

The customer contacted Ford Corporate for help. Ford's response? "Buy a Tesla."

Sheesh.

But hey, at least this was discussed up front; the customer wasn't hit over the head with a surprise markup at pickup. Let's see how this goes when the F150 Lightening hits the showroom.

·
261 Posts
The only aspect of this story that surprises me is the Ford executive's alleged comment. It's true that car dealers have the right to sell their inventory for any price they want and historically there have been mark-ups over MSRP for models in high demand and short supply. The only potential constraint on that is when the buyer pits one dealer against another -- we've seen many examples of that with the ID4 on this forum, though sometimes the buyer has to go pretty far afield.

I'll also have to give VW corporate a few brownie points for their efforts in trying to keep dealers in line on the pricing of ID4s that have been reserved through the web site. While VW can't legally stop the dealer from marking up, VW wants a smooth launch for the ID4 and there are subtle ways to pressure dealers who want to maintain a good relationship with corporate. The results haven't been perfect, but in my case it worked. MY ID4 was at list price with only $200 of "doc fees" and a nearly identical but unreserved ID4 that came in the same day was marked up $2,000.

But, back to Ford, I can't help but wonder if that executive has been pulled to the side and given some helpful suggestions about what to say and what not the next time....

·
115 Posts
So who are these magic MSRP dealers? We've had a few mentioned here but most people just say they got an MSRP deal and that's it. I don't doubt that anyone who said that they got an MSRP deal got an MSRP deal but it is less believable when the dealer is not mentioned. I think there was a Reddit group that was compiling a list of good dealers.
I got MSRP at VW Pasadena, all around very positive experience.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts