Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I test drove an ID.4 today since it just arrived at a local dealership.
Looking under the hood, I guess I was surprised to see a radiator. Is this just for A/C or is used to remove heat from the batteries too. Just wondering how vital it is to the car’s operation.

I agree with all the comments about the less than 25mph noise being way to loud.

I guess one other thing that bothered me. You had to turn “on” the car with the button to get access to many of the car interior functions, like the sun screen control, interior ”mood” lighting control, and a few other things. I kinda figured if I’m in the car with the key, those features should be activated.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
221 Posts
Couple of things. Nearly all good electric cars have radiators and coolant pumps. They use this to thermally manage the battery pack and onboard chargers. Totally normally and a good thing to have.

On your second concern, just get in with the key and push the brake pedal and you can turn whatever on you want. Just as any gas car requires a key and at least a button push to activate windows etc, so does this, only you press the brake pedal or the steering wheel button.

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
I actually think the radiator you saw is the A/C condenser. I believe the ID.4 uses the refrigerant circuit to cool the traction battery and motor, like some other EV's do, so I don't think it has a radiator that's used to shed heat from a coolant loop. I could be wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.