Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Northeast tri state (NY/CT/NJ) region. I have a 1st reservation. How do you all think this will do in the snow? I have been researching, and so far feel that while not as competent as AWD, should be adequate. Considering rear motor over rear wheel drive axel, and low center of gravity, with battery centered under car.
Appreciate your comments.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
I live in Pennsylvania and have had several RWD cars and not had an issue except in the deepest snow or icy conditions. In my experience I’ve found that the proper winter tires matter more than AWD. That being said, I pre-ordered the AWD Pro S because I wanted the AWD and the extra power.

·
45 Posts
I considered this as well when I made my decision on the FE. I don't think it will ultimately matter. For what it's worth, the few reviews I have seen so far tested in wetter or mild snow conditions did not reveal an uneven drive.

·
680 Posts
Good snow tires and proper driving techniques and you should be all set. AWD would be better, but not necessary with today's snow tires and the way towns keep the roads up. If you were routinely slogging thru 6"+ of snow, that might be a different story.

Reactions: theboomr

·
ID.4 FE Blue
138 Posts
My other car is a Subaru, so I will use that in the snow. Michelin has a tire called CrossClimate2 which is an amazing all-weather tire that has snow certification.

·
193 Posts
I considered the same. But for me it was the front wind shield heating that is added to the AWD version that makes a difference. Since we scrape many days in the winter that might be an added bonus (also we have an icy incline from parking to street and I hope AWD helps).

·
Dusk Blue FE
93 Posts
Having driven in Chicago snow for years, I agree with those who say that winter tires are more important than AWD. But now I live in Oregon.

Q: How can you tell it's springtime in Oregon? A: The rain feels warmer.

And that, folks, is my problem. Cold winter rain fogs the windshield of any driver who breathes. I'd love to have a heated windshield (which I assume will draw less current than the defroster), but I don't need the AWD. It doesn't snow on the coast and I don't want to spend AWD money just for a heated windshield.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
Having driven in Chicago snow for years, I agree with those who say that winter tires are more important than AWD. But now I live in Oregon.

Q: How can you tell it's springtime in Oregon? A: The rain feels warmer.

And that, folks, is my problem. Cold winter rain fogs the windshield of any driver who breathes. I'd love to have a heated windshield (which I assume will draw less current than the defroster), but I don't need the AWD. It doesn't snow on the coast and I don't want to spend AWD money just for a heated windshield.
The heated windshield has resistive wires embedded in the glass, so I imagine it does draw quite a bit of energy to utilize it. However, if it's anything like other heated windshields I've experienced, it will clear the glass very quickly, much faster than blowing dehumidified warm air on it can. I imagine running the A/C to dehumidify the cabin air should help keep the windshield clear in the circumstance you describe. I didn't have any issues accomplishing this with my BMW i3.

I'm excited about the heated windshield in the ID.4 to help keep the windshield clear when it's snowing and icy because otherwise a lot of heat is generally required to do the same, and no doubt the heated windshield consumes less energy than the heater running at full blast. I have a feeling VW included the heated windshield in AWD models because they are more likely to be driven in climates that have ice and snow, and the heated windshield helps to reduce some energy consumption in those climates and conditions...and I'm sure it's easier to absorb the cost of the heated windshield in the more expensive AWD model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts