Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@Huey52

What are the recommended or agreed upon terms to be used with the ID.4, EA equipment and anything else you can think of?

I call the gage cluster on the steering column a binnacle.
I call a charger "tower" a pedestal and a group of pedestals a station.

I have no idea about Tesla terms used or if they are applicable to the ID.4.

I'm hoping everyone can submit their names/nomenclature and somewhere define acronyms.

GOM guess o meter
SOC state of charge
NA North America

Add yours here...

·
7 Posts
@Huey52

What are the recommended or agreed upon terms to be used with the ID.4, EA equipment and anything else you can think of?

I'm hoping everyone can submit their names/nomenclature and somewhere define acronyms.

GOM guess o meter
SOC state of charge
NA North America

Add yours here...
Lol, I wondered what GOM meant.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
"Binnacle" is British for 'merican Instrument -or- Gauge Cluster. :unsure:

I use "EVSE" (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) a lot to purposely differentiate the charging power (L1, L2, DC Fast Charge) vs. the vehicle-internal Charger capability itself.

SOC is one I had to learn as an EV newbie. Actually many I've had to learn. ;)

@Huey52

GOM guess o meter
SOC state of charge
NA North America

Add yours here...

·
534 Posts
BMS = Battery management system. This heats if <46F, cools if >86F (charging) or >95F (driving), and keeps our batteries balanced and happy. The ID.4 has a very good BMS.

·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BMS = Battery management system. This heats if <46F, cools if >86F (charging) or >95F (driving), and keeps our batteries balanced and happy. The ID.4 has a very good BMS.
I didn't know that. Ya learn something new everyday 😁.

·
141 Posts
I've been wondering about that. I haven't seen the battery cooling kick in yet for my ID.4. Below is a 2 hour Level 2 charge session that I recorded yesterday using Car Scanner Pro on my iPhone. My charger is a Grizzl-e Classic 40 A on a 50 A circuit. Perhaps the average 8.5 kW charging power is after a 15% efficiency loss in the on-board AC charger. But my bigger question is why didn't the BMS system kick in to cool the battery?

·
534 Posts
But my bigger question is why didn't the BMS system kick in to cool the battery?
How can you tell if it was cooling or not? The AC compressor is very quiet, but you should be able to hear the radiator fan. On a L2 charger it may not turn on the AC (using only the fan) or may keep it very low, since AC can draw 5.5KW and use most of your chargers limited power.

·
141 Posts
How can you tell if it was cooling or not? The AC compressor is very quiet, but you should be able to hear the radiator fan. On a L2 charger it may not turn on the AC (using only the fan) or may keep it very low, since AC can draw 5.5KW and use most of your chargers limited power.
Well, the battery temperature curve at the top just kept rising from 92 degF to over 96 degF during the charging session. If the cooling kicked in surely the battery temperature would have gone down at least a bit. I did hear fans running throughout the charging session.

The 5.5 kW AC your quote is a lot of cooling power--where does that number come from? When both of our HVACs are running in our 3100 sq ft house, combined they draw about 5.5 kW.

But I suspect that you are right that the battery cooling might not kick in for Level2 charging. I will record a DC fast charge at some point and see how that looks.

·
534 Posts
The 5.5 kW AC your quote is a lot of cooling power--where does that number come from?
Direct from VW in the NHTSA filings that are a sticky post here. Its not just that number, the entire BMS description including the temperatures are from there. Some cooling kicked in for yours, since it was rising fast, then leveled off near 95F. The most heat is generated near the end of your charge, but it did not keep rising like it was.

Edit: the easiest way to see if the AC is on is to put your hand on the AC condenser and the radiator and feel the heat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts