Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Hey everyone, I just got a roof rack and kayak holder for my ID4. The rack is great, and I’ve put the kayak up for a test once already, but haven’t gone out driving with it yet, maybe next weekend.

One thing I still want to figure out is the front and rear tie down points. In the instructions for the kayak holder it shows the front and back tie downs attached to the front and rear bumpers. However, I don’t see a place to hook anything on the front bumper, it’s completely smooth underneath. I think I figured out a good solution, running the strap under the hood on the right side, and tying off to a metal bar. Does anyone else have experience tying down to the front of the ID4, and have a better suggestion on where to tie down? Or is this the right way of doing things?

On the back, there’s a more obvious tie down point, there’s a cut out in the plastic to reach the metal of the rear bumper, a hook fits in nicely there. However, when the tie down strap runs up to the kayak it rubs against the bumper and rear hatch in 3 places. If I had a longer boat, the angle of the line would be better and would only rub the bumper in one place, but for my 12’ kayak it looks like a problem. Any ideas on how to avoid rubbing, or protect the back of the car?

·
669 Posts
View attachment 11653
Hey everyone, I just got a roof rack and kayak holder for my ID4. The rack is great, and I’ve put the kayak up for a test once already, but haven’t gone out driving with it yet, maybe next weekend.

One thing I still want to figure out is the front and rear tie down points. In the instructions for the kayak holder it shows the front and back tie downs attached to the front and rear bumpers. However, I don’t see a place to hook anything on the front bumper, it’s completely smooth underneath. I think I figured out a good solution, running the strap under the hood on the right side, and tying off to a metal bar. Does anyone else have experience tying down to the front of the ID4, and have a better suggestion on where to tie down? Or is this the right way of doing things?

On the back, there’s a more obvious tie down point, there’s a cut out in the plastic to reach the metal of the rear bumper, a hook fits in nicely there. However, when the tie down strap runs up to the kayak it rubs against the bumper and rear hatch in 3 places. If I had a longer boat, the angle of the line would be better and would only rub the bumper in one place, but for my 12’ kayak it looks like a problem. Any ideas on how to avoid rubbing, or protect the back of the car?
You could pull the tow hooks out of the tool kit in the trunk, install them in the bumpers and use them.

·
118 Posts
  • Why are the front and back tiedowns secured to the bungie cords on the kayak and not the actual frame?
  • As nigela mentioned, those straps will do horrible things to your paint. They should not be in tension against the body of the car.
Honestly, I would just not use front and back tiedowns. The straps at the crossbars are more than enough when properly tensioned. That's how my dad has been securing his kayak to a similar kayak holder for over a decade.

·
994 Posts
Could you just run the tie-downs back to the cross bars themselves? They wouldn't touch the paint and they would provide at least some protection against it tipping up at one end...

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Be careful if abrading your paint with the straps. The wind will whip the straps into the bodywork.
Yes, that's exactly my concern with how the rear strap is positioned now.

Can the rear rack be moved back more? That might improve stability.
That's a good idea. I was already thinking of shifting the kayak back a little within the rack, if I also move the cross bars back a little maybe that will give me enough room to get some separation between the line and the rear of the car. The instructions for the roof rack specify dimensions for where to attach the rack to the roof, but they're approximate, I can move it back a little without causing problems.

Could you just run the tie-downs back to the cross bars themselves? They wouldn't touch the paint and they would provide at least some protection against it tipping up at one end...
The front and back tie downs are supposed to keep the kayak on the car if something goes wrong with the rack or the cross bars. If I tie them back to the cross bars it's no longer an independent piece of protection. As Soby mentioned, it's debatable if you even need a 2nd line of defense like that. I've always used the front and back tie downs when transporting my kayak on the old car, but my old rack was solid, and never had an issue that required the tie down straps to do anything. I'm considering going without them to avoid the straps rubbing away paint, but I think I'd like to drive at least a few times with all of the straps connected, at least until I gain confidence that the new rack stays solid on a long trip.

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
1,336 Posts
For the rear strap you could put foam pieces under it. Once you know the exact location you may be able to (semi)permanently attach foam to the strap. I have a Hollywood bike rack that runs straps over the spoiler and over the bumper similar to your situation, no issues thus far at all even without foam. On the FE we use the tow hitch as a lower attachment point, which I believe you don't have. Use the tow hooks instead as Plant Peon suggested.
Very nice picture, by the way! The blue and yellow combine exceptionally well.

·
1st Edition
412 Posts
I’m a canoe guy. If you have to have a front or rear strap, I would go with front. There tends to be more lift. But these days, I just have the cross straps on the rack.

I question if the front and rear straps would hold the kayak on the roof if the rack failed.

·
350 Posts
Honestly, I would just not use front and back tiedowns. The straps at the crossbars are more than enough when properly tensioned. That's how my dad has been securing his kayak to a similar kayak holder for over a decade.
As a former white water kayaker I can only note how many people I know that learned the very, very hard way that this is NOT a good idea. Liability for catapulted kayaks knows no bounds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts