Volkswagen ID Forum banner

ID.4 Updates - Discussion

6K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  plh 
#1 ·
Hiya,

I didn't see a thread for this, but maybe I'm missing it somewhere else. I'm also relatively new to the forums and still learning. If I'm incorrectly posting, please let me know.

I wanted to start a discussion about the Id.4 and all things surrounding updates. There's still a lot of unknowns on my part and I'd imagine others are in the same shoes as me and others will know a heck of a lot more than I do.

Does anyone know where I can find the latest information from VW about planned updates to the ID.4? I saw something somewhere about 2.3, but it appears that to get it initially, folks had to manually sign-up and opt for it. Even if its buggy, I'd absolutely have signed up for it. I love testing new tech/updates and so long as any bugs don't limit the core function of driving, I won't generally care.

How will we know when an update has been pushed to the ID.4? Is it something we have to manually accept, or is it something VW just does. Thus far I haven't seen anything alerting me to new updates, however that also could mean I haven't had any. I know VW was over the last month releasing updates but I don't know if that's happened or been delayed to us US customers.

This next question, I'm sure the answer is yes and I just haven't played around much with the settings aspects of mine, but is there a way to check for software updates manually? I'm assuming it would follow a similar path to this: settings > system > about > software > version > updates. When I bought mine I don't think even the dealers had much info about updates.

Anyone else with questions about updates, feel free to chime in and ask!

Thanks y'all!

-Eric

See less See more
#2 ·
Updates haven't begun in the US yet

As far as I know there's no North American "First Movers" group to join to test updates early, as VW did in Europe.

The two big updates that will hopefully come next year are working scheduled charging and hill hold.

To check for updates manually, try swiping down from the top on the main screen. I believe the function is hidden there. But by all accounts from European owners, the car will inform you when it's ready with as pop-up message.

#4 ·

As far as I know there's no North American "First Movers" group to join to test updates early, as VW did in Europe.

The two big updates that will hopefully come next year are working scheduled charging and hill hold.

To check for updates manually, try swiping down from the top on the main screen. I believe the function is hidden there. But by all accounts from European owners, the car will inform you when it's ready with as pop-up message.
Thanks for the information! I didn't event think about whether or not what I read about 2.3 was in the US or Europe.

As far as the two updates you mentioned, hill assist and scheduled charging, where did you find information on that? I find it funny they're adding "scheduled charging" (to be fair I don't know what all that means). Most 3rd party reputable level two chargers already have that functionality built in if they can be controlled via an app.

Is there by any chance a place to make suggestions for updates? I've only briefly looked and very quickly got distracted. I will plan to look later, but folks on here may already know about it so figured I'd ask.

Thanks for the information! I didn't event think about whether or not what I read about 2.3 was in the US or Europe.

As far as the two updates you mentioned, hill assist and scheduled charging, where did you find information on that? I've been mostly unsuccessful about finding information directly from VW about updates for US ID.4s. I find it funny they're adding "scheduled charging" (to be fair I don't know what all that means). Most 3rd party reputable level two chargers already have that functionality built in if they can be controlled via an app. Nonetheless, not all chargers do, nor does everyone have those chargers, so definitely will be useful feature for those that want it!.

Is there by any chance a place to make suggestions/feedback to VW for updates? I've only briefly looked, very became distracted, and only just now remembered it. I will plan to look later, but folks on here may already know about it so figured I'd ask.

I hope this (or something similar) can become a place for quick easy info about updates etc., maybe it needs to be more specific to the US (sorry European friends!). Obviously though, ANYONE is more than welcome to participate.

Thanks again, I appreciate the info and replies. All the best.

#5 ·
I don't understand why hill/brake hold takes a year to program when you can see the options that are enabled for the EU/UK markets if you get in the car without your key fob nearby. It seems like it would be easy to "un-gray" that option for American vehicles. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

#9 ·
I took the vehicle in for service today and listed scheduled charging, convenience entry, key fob window up, and the middle logo bar on the back as other issues. I also referenced seeing hill hold setting and not being able to enable it. I put stickies in the owner’s manual and referenced page numbers on the service ticket. I would really like to see it come back with the seat enabled. That’s the one I hate not having the most. I figured I’d try a little mischief. :whistle: Watch it be gone now until next year. They promised me a loaner and I got a Lyft. Sales promises, service has no vehicles to loan.

#10 · (Edited)
They promised me a loaner and I got a Lyft. Sales promises, service has no vehicles to loan.
I dropped off my i3 at BMW and the service writer offered me a Lyft, I said "no thanks I'll take the bus" and his reaction was... unusual.

I don't understand why VW didn't take the (I assume) easy step of hiding the non-functioning features. Scheduled charging especially. I'm positive there was a conference room debate about the merits of "leaving it in" even though it doesn't work in order to demonstrate they were offering a promised feature — somebody thought that was preferable to it missing. Maybe they knew reviews would note its absence, but wouldn't actually test it.

The auto hold and easy entry I'll bet were simply missed in the rush to ship this version, not intentional.

How BMW sees their typical owner:
Forehead Hair Chin Hairstyle Jheri curl

How BMW sees their i3 owners:

Photograph Active shorts Bermuda shorts Light Shorts

#11 ·
It’s funny, I have a smart charger and I still get angry seeing that scheduling screen every time. It just screams, “THEY DON‘T CARE!” I think back to how many hours I spent trying to make it work, along with other features in the owner’s manual. I hope the other features I mentioned are not in the feature set of the oft-boasted monetization of OTA updates. Another bad publicity move when the cars they’re delivering do not entirely work when sold.

#12 ·
I don't think the problem is figuring our how to program new software features for the car - I think the problem is they've not got if figured out how to update the cars via Internet in a 'foolproof manner' - This is their first rodeo and there are dozens of ways to go wrong, some of which would probably be pretty hard to recover from. They don't want to force everyone who has already bought a car to go to the dealer to get a botched update loaded into the car and working, so they're being extra, extra careful, IMO

Don

#15 · (Edited)
I ordered the car a year ago yesterday on Reveal Day (web site crashed). I've had the car six months today (in the shop for recalls, a coincidence of scheduling). No software updates, lots of continuing known glitches and anomalies. Maybe, instead of doing a big update, VW could push out small weekly updates addressing known bugs. I'm fairly confident that some of these missing features will become monetized.

#19 ·
Quite the opposite.

Legacy auto company realizing in-house software is key their future, spending gobs of cash to hire a team and build out their own OS, but failed to realize how hard or time-intensive it would be to make the transition from the patchwork of legacy code they've been existing with to a "clean sheet" product all while continuing to produce cars.

Seriously, there's absolutely nothing to back up the claim that VW is "cheaping out" in this department. Looking at their partnership with Continental to assist with the transition (e.solutions, partnering Continental's Elektrobit with VW's Cariad)indicates that they're paying for help, realizing they can't efficiently do this on their own.

#21 ·
Me, too! But I suspect software is one thing, OTA updates are a whole 'nother thing. I wonder how different the North American rollout is structured (with respect to cell phone network providers) vs. what they've done so far in Europe? I imagine there are some differences that need to be worked through.

#22 ·
All drinking the negative cool aid again eh 🙄

The updates will come. But some of you guys think it will be some miracle code that will transform the car from a pumpkin into a golden carriage immediately. Everybody is making each other crazy that huge changes will happen within weeks and that the US will follow in lockstep with Europe.
That expectation will (and as shown above already has) result(ed) in utter disappointment. There is no chance for instant gratification here!

if I’ve learned one thing from the Germans, is that they are utter methodical, but slow. They need confidence that things work as they should before taking the next step. So yes improvements will happen in baby steps (with Europe first before the US), and are going to take a while for all to be in place. At least another year, is how I see it.

#28 ·
Hiya,

I didn't see a thread for this, but maybe I'm missing it somewhere else. I'm also relatively new to the forums and still learning. If I'm incorrectly posting, please let me know.

I wanted to start a discussion about the Id.4 and all things surrounding updates. There's still a lot of unknowns on my part and I'd imagine others are in the same shoes as me and others will know a heck of a lot more than I do.

Does anyone know where I can find the latest information from VW about planned updates to the ID.4? I saw something somewhere about 2.3, but it appears that to get it initially, folks had to manually sign-up and opt for it. Even if its buggy, I'd absolutely have signed up for it. I love testing new tech/updates and so long as any bugs don't limit the core function of driving, I won't generally care.

How will we know when an update has been pushed to the ID.4? Is it something we have to manually accept, or is it something VW just does. Thus far I haven't seen anything alerting me to new updates, however that also could mean I haven't had any. I know VW was over the last month releasing updates but I don't know if that's happened or been delayed to us US customers.

This next question, I'm sure the answer is yes and I just haven't played around much with the settings aspects of mine, but is there a way to check for software updates manually? I'm assuming it would follow a similar path to this: settings > system > about > software > version > updates. When I bought mine I don't think even the dealers had much info about updates.

Anyone else with questions about updates, feel free to chime in and ask!

Thanks y'all!

-Eric
I talked and chatted last week with VW customer service. I'm sorry I didn't save the chat. Essentially, nothing is currently scheduled and, if I understood correctly, the next update would be at the dealer and not OTA. It was a somewhat confusing message, but that is what I understood.

#31 · (Edited)
Hmmm... Since in the US, OTA was always the plan, as we all started with OTA-capable v2.1 software, I'm surprised the "you'll need to visit your dealer" would ever have been in their script, or that there could be any confusion on the part of a customer service agent — unless the message is getting mixed with other VW models?

On the other hand, it sure has been quiet! What's the likelihood (pure conjecture here) there's something not quite meshing with 2.1 and the North American cellular network, and they really do have to call the ID.4s home for a corded update the next big thing?

This slide posted by @JimmyVW talks about the whats, but no mention of the whens or hows.

#32 ·
Hmmm... Since in the US, OTA was always the plan, as we all started with OTA-capable v2.1 software, I'm surprised the "you'll need to visit your dealer" would ever have been in the script, or that they're could be any confusion on the part of a customer service — unless the message is getting mixed with other VW models.

On the other hand, it sure has been quiet! What's the likelihood (pure conjecture here) there's something not quite meshing with 2.1 and the North American cellular network, and they really do have to call the ID.4s home for a corded update the next big thing?

This slide posted by @JimmyVW talks about the whats, but no mention of the whens or hows.

Something must happen soon. Either shoot us the update or tell us why you can't. We are getting impatient!

Reactions: plh
#33 ·
What bothers me most is the intransparency we are facing with VW. They just leaves us hanging. Even there Press release on 2.3 was not clear that it only will be in europe. I also feel sorry for VW of US because they try to help but also don't get more info from VW German. I find this very unprofessional. VW could contact us per email and give updates.
I saw a review on the audio Q4. To me looks like a ID4 twin from the mechanics but the software is very different and seems much better. So how can this be. Is. It not possible to share software development in one company?

#34 ·
... there Press release on 2.3 was not clear that it only will be in europe. ...
Europe is getting that treatment, too.

VW clarified in a update they published after the press release (@ID.Furkan posted it on his YouTube channel) that certain European regions would begin rollout last week, but listed others a month from now, and yet others "to be determined."

They also stipulated that just because a country hit the rollout date, it still might be weeks for any individual owner to get the update.

Just have patience. Good stuff is coming. It's not worth stressing about. Personally, I'm happy I've got a great car, and any improvements will be like a gift I know is in route, but don't know when it will be delivered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.