Volkswagen ID Forum banner

261 - 280 of 321 Posts

·
82 Posts
My ID.4 almost crashed into the car ahead of me on adaptive cruise control. Very scary moment and something I never experienced in my Subaru in over 5 years.
My 2018 Subaru Outback had far, far better safety tech with, Eye-Sight. Tested the lane-keep on the ID.4 yesterday and was severely disappointed with it.

·
91 Posts
Starting to sound like a broken record, but are you sure that you are on firmware version 2.1 (infotainment version 0792)

·
82 Posts
Starting to sound like a broken record, but are you sure that you are on firmware version 2.1 (infotainment version 0792)
No. I have no idea which version, but the car was picked up from dealer 4 days ago, so I would assume they checked for the latest firmware.

Also, I have set up the car on my home wi-fi network, so if it automatically does updates (not sure if it does) it should have done so, but maybe I'm being too optimistic regarding VW and dealer's competence.

·
91 Posts
Version 2.1 was the first version that introduced the option to update over the air, so if the dealer “forgot” to update your car, you’re stuck on the old code. And the code versions before 0792 were quite crappy.
long press the home button to go into the service menu to check all versions. The infotainment should be 0792

·
200 Posts
My 2018 Subaru Outback had far, far better safety tech with, Eye-Sight. Tested the lane-keep on the ID.4 yesterday and was severely disappointed with it.
the lane keep without travel assist is pretty much designed to keep you from drifting into another lane. It is not meant to keep you centered on the lane. It will just pull you back a little and allow you to drift again and do the same thing. The travel assist is the feature that does the lane centering and will keep you centered.

·
82 Posts
Version 2.1 was the first version that introduced the option to update over the air, so if the dealer “forgot” to update your car, you’re stuck on the old code. And the code versions before 0792 were quite crappy.
long press the home button to go into the service menu to check all versions. The infotainment should be 0792
Thanks for the info.

I'll check when my wife gets home, but I don't have an FE, so I would imaging my car had the update before it shipped.

·
39 Posts
No. I have no idea which version, but the car was picked up from dealer 4 days ago, so I would assume they checked for the latest firmware.

Also, I have set up the car on my home wi-fi network, so if it automatically does updates (not sure if it does) it should have done so, but maybe I'm being too optimistic regarding VW and dealer's competence.
I was told by the tech at my dealer that the ID.4 is not capable of OTA updates at this time, but it will be this fall. He said he thinks it should happen around Sept.

·
91 Posts
Might also be a simple misunderstanding. Not capable or none available? Currently there haven’t been any ota updates, but it will need 2.1 to be able to receive one. Guessing that the first ota update would happen around September isn’t that illogical either. We’re all hoping mid June, but nobody knows for sure. The Germans do have a summer holiday period, pretty much wiping out July and half of august. So in that view September isn’t that strange.

·
39 Posts
Might also be a simple misunderstanding. Not capable or none available? Currently there haven’t been any ota updates, but it will need 2.1 to be able to receive one. Guessing that the first ota update would happen around September isn’t that illogical either. We’re all hoping mid June, but nobody knows for sure. The Germans do have a summer holiday period, pretty much wiping out July and half of august. So in that view September isn’t that strange.
The following link is to an article that might better explain when OTA update will happen. It seems more informed than the tech guy I spoke to.

·
2021 1st
741 Posts
The longer they let this linger in the public mind the grander the beliefs regarding what is possible will be. If I could offer any newcomers to the VW family some advice to help you stay sane it'd be to temper expectations and be happy with the car as delivered--chances are that's the way it's going to stay.

Yes, there is a theoretical chance they will update our vehicles but they've always been updatable and VW seldom does. Their past first run vehicles still have lingering issues and nothing has been done about that. What can or can't be updated over the air is still in question. Have you ever worked on a VW? It's not like a computer or a Tesla, which is like a computer. There are so many different modules it's not even funny. It takes hours to update a VW hooked up to a cable I can't imagine how that would work OTA other than the most superficial updates.

This isn't Tesla, either, where the public is going to shrug if a driver gets decapitated because a software routine can't distinguish between the horizon and the side of a semi. If VW updates something and some bug causes a safety issue that's pretty much the end of whatever tenuous relationship VW had with the US market--not that anyone would notice. Ford sells more F150s in a month than VW sold eGolfs in four years! They sell more each day than VW's total ID.4 deliveries. Our domestic companies move more units in a holiday weekend than VW moves in a whole year and it's been that way for as long as I've known about them. The only thing keeping them here is pride and, historically, they needed our market to sell elsewhere. I don't know how much that last point holds anymore now that China is the largest market. It wasn't always the case, but now I doubt customers in China care how many ID4s (or any other VWs) we buy over here.

This idea that VW will update our software to make keys personalized, like every other mid+ trim in their line-up for the past decade, would be humorous if I hadn't bought into it myself. There's a module controlling that and I'd be extremely surprised if we have it in our vehicles. The idea that they had a working feature, removed it, and then will re-implement it is bizarre logic. VW is more likely to remove those greyed out references in our UI than they are to implement them. OPD? Why would they put it in after the fact? We should instead be asking why it was removed it in the first place and the answer to that question would offer more guidance regarding the likelihood of them putting it back in.

I haven't even addressed the elephant in the room: let's say VW does offer an OTA, would you do it? You're going to trust your wifi connection or Verizon to patch your car wirelessly? Sure I do it with my router's firmware but it tells me not to. I also don't use my router as a sled down a hill at 70+ MPH with my family on my back...

·
White Pro S
183 Posts
Ok, lots to unpack there, but let me at least handle the technical point at the end.

There's absolutely no reason there should be a problem with an OTA. This isn't a router. It's a fully realized computer and has the ability to download a package and then verify that the code it has downloaded is bitperfect with a variety of methods like md5 checksums. The software then installs while the car is locked and not in use. I would imagine that the install itself is essentially a reboot into the new code so any downtime will nearly unnoticeable.

In terms of safety, security, and software integrity there's no difference between doing it with a cable or USB stick than with an OTA update.

I know something of this, as I regularly deploy code that could bring down the largest cable operator in North America, as well as a few Canadian ones, if I screwed it up. Or wanted to. I try not to think about that last part.

·
2021 1st
741 Posts
VW's can and do experience problems while being updated at the dealership over cables and there's no reason to believe they can't experience issues OTA. My point is not that one is more reliable than the other but that, in a world where VW has always been able to update their vehicles but doesn't, there's no reason to think they'll do so just because they can OTA. There still exist differences in time it will take (customers won't want to do it) and the optics (when something goes wrong, it being delivered OTA will have much more heat than if it had been updated at a dealership). Code can be bit-perfect and still problematic. The code we have now is from the factory and is rife with bugs--some safety related.

That said, this is not a "fully realized computer." VW's have over fifty discreet embedded systems each with their own firmwares. The reason I used a router as an example is because I imagine a lot of people will have updated their routers and they clearly state not to do it over the air...checksums aside. I could have used a TV or a phone but the reality is the same: firmware updates have an inherent risk and every manufacturer of every updatable product I have ever come across warns to only do them when necessary and not just because a new point release is available.

Devices do, on occasion, get bricked during firmware updates. Someone's battery voltage could sag and that perfectly checksummed code won't complete leaving a brick that can't even be updated anymore. My Touareg won't even allow some modules to be updated without external power. Only you know what your day-job entails and the risks you're willing to tolerate but I would be surprised if you responded to tell me that you routinely updated 50+ firmwares simultaneously. That'd be like updating one's motherboard, CPU, GPU, SSD, and network card all at the same time. Please tell me you would advise against that and I won't make any jokes about Spectrum's reliability :)

·
10 Posts
Got my VW ID.4 FE couple of weeks ago, it has about 400 miles on it, generally speaking - no complaints so far. Didn't even know this forum exists :)

Today the infotainment started with the navigation system on - but the touchscreen is completely dumb - doesn't react on anything. I can't switch to the system menu, can't do anything at all. The hardware buttons work - switches to mode, climate control and parking assist screens just fine. Yet it's useless because the touchscreen is non-functional.

Tried holding the power button ( lower left corner on the infotainment ) - the system reboots but the problem persists.

·
70 Posts
I know something of this, as I regularly deploy code that could bring down the largest cable operator in North America, as well as a few Canadian ones, if I screwed it up. Or wanted to. I try not to think about that last part.
Then you know that deployments are rolled out slowly with health checking. You should not deploy in a way that can bring down a cable operator.

I hope VW do this. Starting with their 3k employee cars then 1%, 2%, 5%, 10% etc

·
2021 1st
741 Posts
That's the rub, though. Many of the things people hope will be addressed via OTA are already in the ROW/EU ID.4s. In some situations 2021 US model owners might be the only group that needs a particular update. I don't know if the magic number is 5K or 10K or what but they'll be doing good to sell 5K and that seems like a relatively small number of owners to focus a lot of engineering resources on.

Some of us have been told flat-out there is no specialized emobility team. Once you get past first tier support it goes through the same channels as every other VW owner. Someone else posted a response they received from a regional manager but I don't know how many people noticed that was not an emobility position--I did because I have already been in communication with my regional manager and he explained this is where the bucks stops.

Anyway, I'm not talking bad about the car. Some people really love the car and hope some minor bugs get addressed. But if you don't love the car, or you will only love the car if x,y, and z features are added I'd caution you to form an exit plan just in case history repeats itself with VW.

·
82 Posts
That's the rub, though. Many of the things people hope will be addressed via OTA are already in the ROW/EU ID.4s. In some situations 2021 US model owners might be the only group that needs a particular update. I don't know if the magic number is 5K or 10K or what but they'll be doing good to sell 5K and that seems like a relatively small number of owners to focus a lot of engineering resources on.

Some of us have been told flat-out there is no specialized emobility team. Once you get past first tier support it goes through the same channels as every other VW owner. Someone else posted a response they received from a regional manager but I don't know how many people noticed that was not an emobility position--I did because I have already been in communication with my regional manager and he explained this is where the bucks stops.

Anyway, I'm not talking bad about the car. Some people really love the car and hope some minor bugs get addressed. But if you don't love the car, or you will only love the car if x,y, and z features are added I'd caution you to form an exit plan just in case history repeats itself with VW.
Whether people like it or not, you have given sound advice.

Some people have a higher tolerance for glitches, and some people are hoping for what I also think is unrealistic: continual improvements on a car that VW has already delivered. Lastly, some expect a car work without any/many glitches. I'm in the latter group.

I have very little tolerance for a glitchy $45,000 car. I would much rather a $60,000 that works as it should, so I have already started to try to get out of this car. I thought that he $7,500 tax credit would help me withe the loss, but all it does is automatically reduce the car's value by $7,500 plus normal drive the car off the lot of $5,000 +.

Anyone want an ID.4 Pro S with 300 miles on it?

261 - 280 of 321 Posts