Volkswagen ID Forum banner

281 - 300 of 321 Posts

·
45 Posts
Whether people like it or not, you have given sound advice.

Some people have a higher tolerance for glitches, and some people are hoping for what I also think is unrealistic: continual improvements on a car that VW has already delivered. Lastly, some expect a car work without any/many glitches. I'm in the latter group.

I have very little tolerance for a glitchy $45,000 car. I would much rather a $60,000 that works as it should, so I have already started to try to get out of this car. I thought that he $7,500 tax credit would help me withe the loss, but all it does is automatically reduce the car's value by $7,500 plus normal drive the car off the lot of $5,000 +.

Anyone want an ID.4 Pro S with 300 miles on it?
Location, color and price?

·
45 Posts
The longer they let this linger in the public mind the grander the beliefs regarding what is possible will be. If I could offer any newcomers to the VW family some advice to help you stay sane it'd be to temper expectations and be happy with the car as delivered--chances are that's the way it's going to stay.

Yes, there is a theoretical chance they will update our vehicles but they've always been updatable and VW seldom does. Their past first run vehicles still have lingering issues and nothing has been done about that. What can or can't be updated over the air is still in question. Have you ever worked on a VW? It's not like a computer or a Tesla, which is like a computer. There are so many different modules it's not even funny. It takes hours to update a VW hooked up to a cable I can't imagine how that would work OTA other than the most superficial updates.

This isn't Tesla, either, where the public is going to shrug if a driver gets decapitated because a software routine can't distinguish between the horizon and the side of a semi. If VW updates something and some bug causes a safety issue that's pretty much the end of whatever tenuous relationship VW had with the US market--not that anyone would notice. Ford sells more F150s in a month than VW sold eGolfs in four years! They sell more each day than VW's total ID.4 deliveries. Our domestic companies move more units in a holiday weekend than VW moves in a whole year and it's been that way for as long as I've known about them. The only thing keeping them here is pride and, historically, they needed our market to sell elsewhere. I don't know how much that last point holds anymore now that China is the largest market. It wasn't always the case, but now I doubt customers in China care how many ID4s (or any other VWs) we buy over here.

This idea that VW will update our software to make keys personalized, like every other mid+ trim in their line-up for the past decade, would be humorous if I hadn't bought into it myself. There's a module controlling that and I'd be extremely surprised if we have it in our vehicles. The idea that they had a working feature, removed it, and then will re-implement it is bizarre logic. VW is more likely to remove those greyed out references in our UI than they are to implement them. OPD? Why would they put it in after the fact? We should instead be asking why it was removed it in the first place and the answer to that question would offer more guidance regarding the likelihood of them putting it back in.

I haven't even addressed the elephant in the room: let's say VW does offer an OTA, would you do it? You're going to trust your wifi connection or Verizon to patch your car wirelessly? Sure I do it with my router's firmware but it tells me not to. I also don't use my router as a sled down a hill at 70+ MPH with my family on my back...
What are you talking? My 2018 Honda Odyssey minivan was doing ota update and obviously my Tesla. I see no reason there wont be any ota uodate with id4

·
82 Posts
I got 1st edition, wife wanted grey pros but send me your asking price in private message and let me see if it make sense. I am in atlanta for picking uo
It doesn't make sense for you to buy a slightly used car over a new one because of the $7,500 tax credit. And, it doesn't make sense for me because of the sales tax issue. If I trade, I pay that much less sales tax.

·
White Pro S
183 Posts
Then you know that deployments are rolled out slowly with health checking. You should not deploy in a way that can bring down a cable operator.

I hope VW do this. Starting with their 3k employee cars then 1%, 2%, 5%, 10% etc
Yes of course. Doesn't mean I can't bring down three cable companies, a chunk of several streaming services, xbox, and steam for a couple weeks with about fifteen minutes worth of effort.

·
91 Posts
If I understand everything correctly, Volkswagen has announced that the GTx will run on 2.2, and that the 2.1 cars will get an ota update to 2.3 in September.
Only thing that is a bit vague to me is if the cars produced from week 24 until September will also get 2.2 from the factory or if they’ll stay on 2.1

·
9 Posts
Wireless CarPlay not working with upgrade to iOS 14.6.
I can no longer get wireless CarPlay to work since I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 14.6. Anyone else having similar issue? Does the Car's software keep up with the upgrades of it's compatible devices?

I've toggled Bluetooth and Wifi off and on, forgot the network and removed my device from the Car and retried connecting/pairing several times and it wont connect/pair anymore. My husband's iPhone which is not yet upgraded to iOS 14.6 does connect successfully.

·
9 Posts
Wireless CarPlay not working with upgrade to iOS 14.6.
I can no longer get wireless CarPlay to work since I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 14.6. Anyone else having similar issue? Does the Car's software keep up with the upgrades of it's compatible devices?

I've toggled Bluetooth and Wifi off and on, forgot the network and removed my device from the Car and retried connecting/pairing several times and it wont connect/pair anymore. My husband's iPhone which is not yet upgraded to iOS 14.6 does connect successfully.
Apparently others are not having this issue and its just me. I can no longer get my iPhone to connect to CarPlay. Might be user error but I will continue to try.

·
46 Posts
This was posted yesterday. They don't particularly address current software issues, but kind of acknowledge there are problems.
The share settings and 'take your personalized settings from car to car' sound great, but no idea when they will roll out to US cars.

·
46 Posts
Apparently others are not having this issue and its just me. I can no longer get my iPhone to connect to CarPlay. Might be user error but I will continue to try.
My wife just mentioned this last night, that she couldn't connect. Haven't had a chance to check it out myself yet.

·
White Pro S
183 Posts
Try resetting your network settings. That fixes a whole lot.

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
151 Posts
Whether people like it or not, you have given sound advice.

Some people have a higher tolerance for glitches, and some people are hoping for what I also think is unrealistic: continual improvements on a car that VW has already delivered. Lastly, some expect a car work without any/many glitches. I'm in the latter group.

I have very little tolerance for a glitchy $45,000 car. I would much rather a $60,000 that works as it should, so I have already started to try to get out of this car. I thought that he $7,500 tax credit would help me withe the loss, but all it does is automatically reduce the car's value by $7,500 plus normal drive the car off the lot of $5,000 +.

Anyone want an ID.4 Pro S with 300 miles on it?
I don't understand. Did you expect that you could collect the $7500 tax credit and also sell the car for less than a $7500 loss in value? That would be quite the get rich quick scheme!

·
82 Posts
I don't understand. Did you expect that you could collect the $7500 tax credit and also sell the car for less than a $7500 loss in value? That would be quite the get rich quick scheme!
I figured the tax credit would offset the depreciation after 3-4 months of owning it.

·
151 Posts
How did you get 19inch on 1st edition?
I asked my dealer if they would swap the 20" wheels for 19" wheels and they agreed. Since the 20" wheels are technically an upgrade, the dealer likely makes money by upcharging a pro buyer. I was happy to accept the "downgrade" for free because I preferred the slightly nicer ride and better pothole resistance.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,213 Posts
Just had this happen to me. And of course just at one of those rare times when I needed to roll down the window to use a gate keycard. Had to open the door instead. Fortunately the double key fob unlock resolved it when I got home.
This was an item I included in my list for dealer/VWoA insight at my 60-day check back.

Fault : Child Lock (Message + Hardware)

Both kids were in the back seat. First kid on the passenger side got out, no problem. Driver stared fooling with the windows to roll down both passenger side windows. Second kid, on driver's side, tried to exit and couldn't open door. Message "Fault: Child Lock" appeared on driver's display. Toggling "lock" on driver's door window control didn't resolve the problem and the Fault message appeared on each restart. Subsequent multiple vehicle restarts couldn't clear the message. Door opened normally from outside. Error persisted after 30 minute drive. Following instructions in owners manual, quick double press of Unlock button on FOB while standing next to car cleared the fault.

·
82 Posts
I asked my dealer if they would swap the 20" wheels for 19" wheels and they agreed. Since the 20" wheels are technically an upgrade, the dealer likely makes money by upcharging a pro buyer. I was happy to accept the "downgrade" for free because I preferred the slightly nicer ride and better pothole resistance.
Has anyone had issues with VW 20s? Just curious.

·
151 Posts
Has anyone had issues with VW 20s? Just curious.
Not that I know of. Most people, myself included, think the 20's ride totally fine. I thought I could tell the difference in ride comfort between the 19's and 20's, but being completely honest, I don't have enough time on the 20's to give a fair and accurate assessment. My primary drivers for wanting to switch were higher tire walls for extra pothole protection, a little extra range, and lower costs for eventual tire replacement.

281 - 300 of 321 Posts