Volkswagen ID Forum banner

301 - 320 of 321 Posts

·
82 Posts
Not that I know of. Most people, myself included, think the 20's ride totally fine. I thought I could tell the difference in ride comfort between the 19's and 20's, but being completely honest, I don't have enough time on the 20's to give a fair and accurate assessment. My primary drivers for wanting to switch were higher tire walls for extra pothole protection, a little extra range, and lower costs for eventual tire replacement.
I have 19s, but wanted 20s. It looks like VW didn't go with low profile 20s, so I don't imagine they ride terribly or be a risk for dented wheels.

However, I don't know firsthand, which is why I asked.

·
200 Posts
unless anyone does a double blind test, any perceived comfort increase or decrease is purely upto our biases. Also does the tire width make more of a difference to the range than the circumference?

·
82 Posts
unless anyone does a double blind test, any perceived comfort increase or decrease is purely upto our biases. Also does the tire width make more of a difference to the range than the circumference?
The circumference if the tires is nearly identical (because of different sidewall heights); however, the 20s are heavier, so they will reduce range a little.

Yes. Wider tires create more friction, so range would be reduced, which is why (I suspect) Ford put "narrow" tires in the Mache E

·
82 Posts
Version 2.1 was the first version that introduced the option to update over the air, so if the dealer “forgot” to update your car, you’re stuck on the old code. And the code versions before 0792 were quite crappy.
long press the home button to go into the service menu to check all versions. The infotainment should be 0792
Why I long press it says "updating software" but it doesn't update anything. It's been saying that for days.

Here is what tops the list:

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,215 Posts
It's weird that the sporty/flashy Mustang-esque Mach-E gets narrow tires and the somewhat non-descript ID.4 gets the large wide profile. 🤷‍♂️

But then some brands purposely put narrow tires on their underpowered sports coupes to gain a feeling of tail-wagging sportiness.

·
200 Posts
It's weird that the sporty/flashy Mustang-esque Mach-E gets narrow tires and the somewhat non-descript ID.4 gets the large wide profile. 🤷‍♂️

But then some brands purposely put narrow tires on their underpowered sports coupes to gain a feeling of tail-wagging sportiness.
Looks like VW could have made a lot of decisions to make the VW go further on a charge, but choose comfort and build quality over range.

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
151 Posts
Looks like VW could have made a lot of decisions to make the VW go further on a charge, but choose comfort and build quality over range.
Yea, just off the top of my head:
-wider tires
-full sized back hatch
-lots of steel
-large side mirrors

I'm finding that the car has plenty of range for 99% of my needs, so I really enjoy some of the trade offs for build quality/comfort

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
Button Press Volume Decreases When Media Volume Is Turned Down

While playing music via Android Auto, parked, and playing with the rear window select button, I observed the "Click" volume associated with button presses decreased when I lowered the music volume using the slider control beneath the center screen. If I paused the playback, the Click volume remained low. If I raised the music volume, the Click volume returned to normal.

·
469 Posts
The bean counters had to make cost decisions to deliver a BEV to the NA market. IMO, the options they provided seem to be a good trade off. The top end ID4 shouldn't/couldn't compete with the base e-tron. But what do I know, I'm an EE and would have delivered the world of options.

However, the SW provided was woefully inadequate. Supplying such poorly performing SW is sure to hurt sales and and word-of-mouth reputation. Ask the initial reviewers.

There's never enough time to get it out right, on schedule, but enough time to fix it later to unsatisfied buyers and potential customers. And reviewers who bad-mouth the early non-production cars.

Step down from soapbox.

·
7 Posts
Apple Carplay audio bug

After pairing phone #1 and phone #2 with Apple Carplay, play music or a podcast using phone #1. On the next drive, only phone #2 is present (and connected to Carplay) and the radio is on. Stop and pick up the person with phone #1, and their podcast starts playing through the car's speakers ON TOP of the radio. Since phone #2 was connected to Carply, if you go to the Carplay menu it only shows audio for phone #2. If you turn off the car's audio, it shuts off the radio but KEEPS PLAYING the music or podcast from phone #1. If the car's audio is turned back on, it will resume playing the radio in addition to the music or podcast from phone #1. The only way we could get phone #1 to stop playing through the car's speakers was through phone #1.
I can confirm problems handling two (2) phones connected with Apple CarPlay. I had to stop the car completely to get it Radio sound and Telephone Sound back again....

·
469 Posts
What does tire width have to do with software bugs ?
This is a SW bug report thread.
Does that answer your question?
Who said anything about tire width?
Did I offend your sister or not hold a door open for your mom?😉

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
52 Posts
Maybe this has already been reported.......after weeks that have essentially been bug-free. today I experienced the following 3 faults at the start of my 20 mile drive: [1] travel assist wasn't available, [2] the AC temperature on the display was in Celsius, and the range estimate on the steering wheel display was in km.

It may be a coincidence, but this was the first drive after I had used car-net to increase the climate set point from 71F to 74F. Note that 23.0C is approximately 74F. On the next drive, the travel assist error had cleared and the displays had returned to degF and miles.

Just another day in the life of the ID.4?

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
107 Posts
Maybe this has already been reported.......after weeks that have essentially been bug-free. today I experienced the following 3 faults at the start of my 20 mile drive: [1] travel assist wasn't available, [2] the AC temperature on the display was in Celsius, and the range estimate on the steering wheel display was in km.

It may be a coincidence, but this was the first drive after I had used car-net to increase the climate set point from 71F to 74F. Note that 23.0C is approximately 74F. On the next drive, the travel assist error had cleared and the displays had returned to degF and miles.

Just another day in the life of the ID.4?
View attachment 3920 View attachment 3921
Similar experience - happened at about 3100 miles for no reason. Cleared just as easily, as you described.

Interestingly, had my VW Double Check Service (w/in 5K/60-days) today and there were NO STORED CODES. So, that means that was a software issue somewhere where no fault was thrown. Figured it was software as a “reboot” after sleep fixed it.

Other than that - the car has been flawless!! Thoroughly enjoying it!!

301 - 320 of 321 Posts