Volkswagen ID Forum banner

141 - 160 of 221 Posts

·
12 Posts
With regards to disabling just Wireless CarpPlay...I saw this posted in a different forum:

Could create a shortcut that whenever CarPlay is connects, turn off Wi-Fi and turn it back on when disconnected.
(Looks like when Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are turned off, it connects VIA wire)

Alternatively, Settings > General > CarPlay and see if the wired and wireless show up separately, and if so, delete the wireless one.
Thanks! I've been a long time Android user and I don't know where to find anything in settings. That was very helpful.

·
2021 1st
476 Posts
Alternatively, Settings > General > CarPlay and see if the wired and wireless show up separately, and if so, delete the wireless one.
Wired and Wireless are not separate in that section (at least on the latest version of iOS).

Instead, go to:
Settings > Bluetooth > click the 'i' and then disable CarPlay.
(I took a screenshot of my phone with what it will look like, which is posted above)

·
4 Posts
Bug: Departure charging not working

I am having problems getting my ID4 to reliably charge overnight. I chose 6am as my departure time and asked the car to charge to 80% - worked fine one night. I changed no settings and this morning woke up to see it has only charged to 53% - some time in the night it just stopped charging. 😔 I know it isn’t the EVSE because my husband’s Bolt always charges reliably with no problems. I also cannot get the car to start charging at a particular time. I asked it to start charging at 23:30...and nothing happened. So tonight it’s going to be plug in the car when the EV rate kicks in and manually start the charge. Hope that gets it to 80% by morning. This must be a software problem and one I hope VW addresses quickly.

·
ID.4 Pro S RWD
121 Posts
Even when plugged in, it seems to default to wireless. Is there a way to make it default to wired?
It's the phone that decided which way to connect. Here's how it's supposed to work (according to Apple):

I suspect the complicating factor is that the car "wakes up" as soon as you get in. It's possible that this state in indistinguishable from a fully-started vehicle, which would mean it's impossible to plug in "before ignition" as far as the phone can tell. If that's the case, you're always going to be in the 4th category, which connects to the first available.

·
2021 1st
476 Posts
Bug: Departure charging not working

I am having problems getting my ID4 to reliably charge overnight. I chose 6am as my departure time and asked the car to charge to 80% - worked fine one night. I changed no settings and this morning woke up to see it has only charged to 53% - some time in the night it just stopped charging. 😔 I know it isn’t the EVSE because my husband’s Bolt always charges reliably with no problems. I also cannot get the car to start charging at a particular time. I asked it to start charging at 23:30...and nothing happened. So tonight it’s going to be plug in the car when the EV rate kicks in and manually start the charge. Hope that gets it to 80% by morning. This must be a software problem and one I hope VW addresses quickly.
We've had two scenarios under discussion on the forum regarding this issue.

Some of us received a fault on the dash telling us emergency charge only and one person's vehicle was found to have a hardware problem where the locking pin was sticking that was addressed by the dealer.

Others found they had more reliable results by disabling all of those smart scheduling you're trying to do. Once they got theirs working, they didn't break anything by trying the settings again so we don't know for certain whether there is a software issue like you're suggesting.

I was able to get mine to charge with the smart features by making sure the plug was firmly seated and ensured the locking pin engaged, but I haven't tested charging at home, yet, so don't know whether it was a software or hardware issue.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Scheduling problems is one feature I wouldn't put too much effort into trying to diagnose. Just assume it doesn't work, is going to fail to charge at the most inopportune time, and will certainty be fixed in the first OTA in another month or two. In the meantime, stick with the inconvenience of unscheduled charging.

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Scheduling problems is one feature I wouldn't put too much effort into trying to diagnose. Just assume it doesn't work, is going to fail to charge at the most inopportune time, and will certainty be fixed in the first OTA in another month or two. In the meantime, stick with the inconvenience of unscheduled charging.
My case manager claims that nobody besides me has reported problems with scheduled charging, and vw is not yet interested enough to work with me or my dealer to do serious documenting and debugging.

You have to report problems to get them fixed!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
754 Posts
My case manager claims that nobody besides me has reported problems with scheduled charging, and vw is not yet interested enough to work with me or my dealer to do serious documenting and debugging.
Anyone with off-peak rates like you have would encounter this, I think, and it sounds like you have 3 tiers, which is even more unusual.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
72 Posts
Experienced an interesting and annoying) bug yesterday. I was on an international call (using WhatsApp). The call was crystal clear, and wasn't completed when I pulled up to my house. As I continued, the call appeared to drop when ID.4 informed me that CarPlay wasn't connected any longer; when it dropped, the radio station I was listening to came on.

A minute later, CarPlay reconnected, and the person at the other end of the call was magically there: during the dropped period, she was connected to the radio, and we heard the same story. This process of dropping and reconnecting repeated every couple of minutes!

(Ironically, the news story was about the German elections, and she was in Germany :LOL:)

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
446 Posts
Experienced an interesting and annoying) bug yesterday. I was on an international call (using WhatsApp). The call was crystal clear, and wasn't completed when I pulled up to my house. As I continued, the call appeared to drop when ID.4 informed me that CarPlay wasn't connected any longer; when it dropped, the radio station I was listening to came on.

A minute later, CarPlay reconnected, and the person at the other end of the call was magically there: during the dropped period, she was connected to the radio, and we heard the same story. This process of dropping and reconnecting repeated every couple of minutes!

(Ironically, the news story was about the German elections, and she was in Germany :LOL:)
I believe I saw something similar to this. Have you by chance successfully joined the vehicle to your home network? I did and that could, maybe not, but could be related to bumbling network hand off issues.

Reactions: ericy

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
It is great that everybody is reporting our software issues here. This will help us all identify problems, isolate when they occur, and collaborate in developing workarounds.

However, I am not hopeful that VW has an efficient process for logging and fixing these problems. First off, we need to contact [email protected] to start the process of logging problems with VW. My personal experience with this is that VW's first response is to set up a dealer service appointment for further diagnosis. I think that makes perfect sense for a mechanical issue that the dealer will ultimately fix, but it makes little or no sense for purely software problems. Inserting the dealer adds a middleman that isolates us from describing our particular problems, and this has little value since the dealer will not actually implement software fixes. Instead, this impedes the information flow to VW and wastes a lot of time by the dealer and the owner. This would be like Apple or another vendor telling you that you had to get your computer's problem fixed by first going through the tech support of the eBay vendor you bought it from. Nobody does that in the tech world because it is too efficient.

VW will have to up their game if they want to compete in an increasingly software-based world that demands frequent iterations and improvements. My VW case manager is not at all interested in the links I send her from this forum showing the problems we are having - they do not exist unless each individual case is logged through the VW process. It will take forever to fix the problems we have logged here if we all have to open individual cases for them and go through the laborious process of educating our dealers, having them reproduce the problems, and then having them work out solutions with VW that may or may not fix the problem - customer not in loop so difficult to assess if problem fixed. Tesla and more tech-savvy car companies will eat VW's lunch and we will be left with a lot of bugs unless VW improves this process pronto.

I am also disappointed that VW or its dealers cannot do remote health checks of our cars. They are supposed to deliver OTA software updates, but they cannot currently check our cars for recorded faults or other errors. Maybe not too surprising given that even the very simple Car-Net has a lot of problems.

·
ID.4 FE Blue
121 Posts
It is great that everybody is reporting our software issues here. This will help us all identify problems, isolate when they occur, and collaborate in developing workarounds.

However, I am not hopeful that VW has an efficient process for logging and fixing these problems. First off, we need to contact [email protected] to start the process of logging problems with VW. My personal experience with this is that VW's first response is to set up a dealer service appointment for further diagnosis. I think that makes perfect sense for a mechanical issue that the dealer will ultimately fix, but it makes little or no sense for purely software problems. Inserting the dealer adds a middleman that isolates us from describing our particular problems, and this has little value since the dealer will not actually implement software fixes. Instead, this impedes the information flow to VW and wastes a lot of time by the dealer and the owner. This would be like Apple or another vendor telling you that you had to get your computer's problem fixed by first going through the tech support of the eBay vendor you bought it from. Nobody does that in the tech world because it is too efficient.

VW will have to up their game if they want to compete in an increasingly software-based world that demands frequent iterations and improvements. My VW case manager is not at all interested in the links I send her from this forum showing the problems we are having - they do not exist unless each individual case is logged through the VW process. It will take forever to fix the problems we have logged here if we all have to open individual cases for them and go through the laborious process of educating our dealers, having them reproduce the problems, and then having them work out solutions with VW that may or may not fix the problem - customer not in loop so difficult to assess if problem fixed. Tesla and more tech-savvy car companies will eat VW's lunch and we will be left with a lot of bugs unless VW improves this process pronto.

I am also disappointed that VW or its dealers cannot do remote health checks of our cars. They are supposed to deliver OTA software updates, but they cannot currently check our cars for recorded faults or other errors. Maybe not too surprising given that even the very simple Car-Net has a lot of problems.
Perhaps somebody needs to copy this whole thread and send it to their emobilty email?

Reactions: TPG

·
ID.4 FE GW
281 Posts
Perhaps somebody needs to copy this whole thread and send it to their emobilty email?
Good idea!

I also plan to send a more pointed letter to customer care, the CEO, and my case manager with my specific experiences and suggestions.

·
14 Posts
From what I can tell, it only stays on when you are sitting in the car during charging (like at a fast charging station) and for a very short time after you plug in if you are not. I assume this is by design since there's no need to have it one while the car is charging alone in the garage or wherever.
I would appreciate if the light did stay on this would make it easier to share EVSEs and unplug me if I’m close to full. My Leaf has this feature and my Tesla doesn’t, the iD4 has these cryptic led guide on the charge point but nothing to tell others it’s ok to unplug you.

·
ID.4 Pro S RWD
121 Posts
I would appreciate if the light did stay on this would make it easier to share EVSEs and unplug me if I’m close to full. My Leaf has this feature and my Tesla doesn’t, the iD4 has these cryptic led guide on the charge point but nothing to tell others it’s ok to unplug you.
If it's not done charging, wouldn't the connector be locked to the car, anyway? It's my understanding that you can set the ID.4 to unlock the charge connection when charging is complete, but you can't leave it completely unlocked during charging (except perhaps if you leave the whole vehicle unlocked).

·
14 Posts
If it's not done charging, wouldn't the connector be locked to the car, anyway? It's my understanding that you can set the ID.4 to unlock the charge connection when charging is complete, but you can't leave it completely unlocked during charging (except perhaps if you leave the whole vehicle unlocked).
That’s a shame and not aligned to EV etiquette. I leave my Leaf charge point unlocked by default and with my Tesla I can remote unlock the port if I get a request. I’ve had to call people and unplug them when I’ve had a charging emergency, it happens, most level 2s don’t have idling fees so it could be blocked for hours...

·
6 Posts
Anyone else seen their ID4 infotainment inverted and distorted when they got into the vehicle? car driven 117 km.

HW: H20
SW: 0792
Display HW: H36
Display SW: 6071

141 - 160 of 221 Posts